Major Spoilers Forum
April 18, 2014, 05:40:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The newest podcast in the Major Spoilers family is "Munchkin Land!"

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D&D and Initiative - A question for people who know more than me.  (Read 685 times)
herebewonder
Car Insurance Gecko

purveyor of bite-size tales & friend of the people

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:04:12 AM »

Something I was pondering about initiative:

Let's say you have 3 PCs and 3 monsters and they roll initiative.

In one scenario, the PCs clump up in slots 1-2-3 and the monsters in 4-5-6.

In the other scenario, the PCs and monsters are evenly distributed: PCs at 1-3-5, monsters at 2-4-6.

Here is my question: Is there, in the long run, any difference in these scenarios? Is one "better" than the other?

I see that in the 1st case, the PCs can gang up on a monster before it gets its turn, but the monsters could gang up too, right?

I'm guessing there is a difference that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks!

-c
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »

The best you could hope for is the Party attacks first (If you're a PC). The reason for that being you have a chance to maybe take out 1 guy before they monsters get to attack and the Healer will get to use his/her attacks with out worrying about healing someone in the first round.

After the first round it really doesn't matter for the line up all that matters is everyone gets a turn. I've seen fights go both ways but the true fact is it doesn't matter in the end who goes first.

That's pretty much it it's only helpful for round 1 the rest of the rounds after don't matter as much what order everyone goes in. Also it's likely that if there was a huge benefit to it in the long run PC's or Monsters would drop there initiative with a readied or delayed action to line up in that formation.

herebewonder
Car Insurance Gecko

purveyor of bite-size tales & friend of the people

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »

Also it's likely that if there was a huge benefit to it in the long run PC's or Monsters would drop there initiative with a readied or delayed action to line up in that formation.

I hadn't thought about that, but that's a good point.

Thanks for the response!

-c
vandalous
V

Oontz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »

Echoing RS here... focus fire tends to be the result of a party having initiative before monsters, assuming that there aren't other considerations like location, movement, etc.
dantemarx
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:21:40 PM »

I actually kind of feel like initiative in 4e is a hold over from a time when there was more chance to kill a monster if you went first. For example, in 3e, a first level PC versus an orc, the PC is much more likely to survive if he/she has initiative.

In 4e, that first blow will not really kill the orc. Even with focus fire, the orc may survive.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »

I actually kind of feel like initiative in 4e is a hold over from a time when there was more chance to kill a monster if you went first. For example, in 3e, a first level PC versus an orc, the PC is much more likely to survive if he/she has initiative.

In 4e, that first blow will not really kill the orc. Even with focus fire, the orc may survive.

I would have to say I don't agree. In my home game last month was our 2nd session so naturally the players were still level 1.

Shade Rouge used his daily hand spring assult to prefore a charge which he had CA for allowing hime to throw in his sneak attack damage.

31 points of damage total rolling I think it was 5d6+mod total. The monster was an Elven Archer and only has 35 HP or so. The Wizard was able to shoot it with a spell and finish it off leaving my other 3 PC's to attack something else.

Now yes I will admit that he had to use a Daily and roll almost a 6 on every roll to get the damage that high but it can be done.

sliksham
Denver

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:20:43 AM »

yup, the barbarian in the game I run is charge optimised and can (at level 9) knock out a nova round with well over 180 damage, averaging about 120 damage, and thats not including if he crits or reduces the creature to 0 HP on the charge, then things get nasty.
I've had him bloody a dragon in 1 go, luckily the dragon went first, and unluckily for the party it got to breath weapon again as it was bloodied.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: