Major Spoilers Forum
July 25, 2014, 01:47:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planning on purchasing something through Amazon? Click on the Amazon link on the main site (or here); A small amount of your purchase will go toward Major Spoilers at no additional cost to you.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good subtitled movies?  (Read 1943 times)
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »

As some of you probably know, I don't have a problem watching subtitled movies or TV (such as Super Sentai or anime) due to the fact I'm very hard of hearing (legally deaf) and use closed captions anyway.

Now there are a LOT of movies that are made in foreign markets that never quite make it to the US in a popular capacity, but are still decent movies (or entertaining, or so bad you just have to see it, etc).  But I have absolutely no idea where to look for these gems aside from the occasional suggestion or to see the original movie that a Hollywood movie is based on.

So I come to you all in hopes that some of you may have some good suggestions.  I really don't care what sort of genre the movie is, so long as it is entertaining, so feel free to suggest anything and everything.  Even if you think I've seen it before, suggest away just in case I haven't.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »

Random Link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080316202115AApWdMk
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »

Wait, wait, wait...  Someone actually answered a question on Yahoo Answers?!?!?  Are we in Bizzaro World?

But thanks, that will help a bit and give me at least a few places to start looking!

CatHalo
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

Okay Alisha, there are a metric feck tonne of worthwhile subtitles movies, in a variety of genres.

Let's start with the classic action movies that you should see: John Woo's Hard Boiled, and The Killer demand to be seen. His US movies never really lived up tot he promise of his original Hong Kong movies. The Raid, from Indonesia, is a truly stunning martial arts action movie that it needs to be seen. The same can be said for Ong Bak, from Thailand. District 13, from France, has some of the best parkour sequences you'll see.

There are so many great subtitled horror movies. The original Ringu series, from Japan, are far creepier than the American versions. There are any number of great, though utterly bonkers, Takashi Miike movies, including Audition, Ichi The Killer, and Dead Or Alive are well worth a watch (however, he has a lot of crap too, so be mindfull).

Mel Gibson's Apocalypto is also a very impressive movie, and is well worth a watch. Also worth watching are Robert Rodrigues' El Mariachi, which is a great and cheap action movie. Guillermo Del Toro has a few very notable movies too, from his early Cronos to Pan's Labyrinth. He has also produced the brilliantly creepy The Orphanage, which is definitely worth a look. And with the remake of Oldboy out later this year, this might be a good chance to see the weirdly brilliant original South Korean movie.

These are the ones that just come to mind. I'll likely write more when I get home, and get to cast an eye over my collection...

CatHaloMovies on FaceBook, @CatHaloMovies twitter.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »

Thank you so much for the suggestions!  I had kinda expected you would have a few suggestions, glad I wasn't wrong.

The only one I can say with certainty that I've seen is Pan's Labyrinth, which amused me so much how many times I've heard people complain about it being subtitled (often followed by "I thought it was supposed to be a good movie" as if the subtitles detracted from the quality of the film).

CatHalo
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »

Hey Alisha,

Here are 100 other movie suggestions. Lovingly put in order by those wonderful people over at Empire Smiley

http://www.empireonline.com/features/100-greatest-world-cinema-films/

CatHaloMovies on FaceBook, @CatHaloMovies twitter.
vandalous
V

Oontz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »

If you want a good cry, I suggest "Tae Guk Gi", a super sad Korean flick.  If you have access to Netflix, they have an excellent collection of Bollywood/Tamil Indian movies and their algorithm for making suggestions has been relevant to my interests.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »

If you have access to Netflix, they have an excellent collection of Bollywood/Tamil Indian movies and their algorithm for making suggestions has been relevant to my interests.

I'm on the verge of getting it (how sad is it that it is something I can't really justify at the moment with all my bills?), so I'll be sure to keep that in mind.   Smiley

Alex001
Egg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:41:26 AM »

Watching foreign films is hard enough without anyone breaking out into a dialect or using technical slang.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:26 AM »

there's a film from Dennmark called "the green butchers" that was quite good, subtitled, of course,

and i Believe "High Tension" was subbed if you're looking for a gorey slasher click with a strong female lead

Brayden
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:27:23 AM »

I give preference to watch movie with subtitles rather than simple because some time actors speek fast in movie and we can't understand those words exactly.

steveg
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »

Life is Beautiful.  Saw in in Hong Kong subtitled in Chinese, English, and Korean.  But a great movie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: