Major Spoilers Forum
September 02, 2014, 09:09:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow Major Spoilers on Twitter! @MajorSpoilers, @FearsomeCritter, @MightyKingCobra

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I read?  (Read 2150 times)
SpiderLover
Dragonborn Multiclass Fighter/Warlock

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »

Right now Im at an impasse, I've stayed with Spidey through so much and I guess I just don't like the idea of doc oct as my favorite hero. It feels "wrong" anyway due to this I need something to read from DC, or Marvel. Right now Im reading Nightwing and Superior spiderman. Ive dropped a lot of titles recently. I want to read about 3 more titles a month any suggestions?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »

I like to read the limited series books. The ones that only have 4-6 issues. It's nice because you don't have to deal with huge multi issue cross overs and some of the independent titles like Image and Boom have some good stuff out there.

I say for your 3rd title pick anything with a 1 of ___  on the cover and that way you can cycle it out after it's done and pick up something else.

CatHalo
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:42:01 AM »

I agree with Revenant Sorrow, in that limited series are generally the way to go:

DareDevil End Of Days is good so far, and is about halfway through an 8 issue mini.
Locke And Key. Even though this book is coming to an end, with only 5ish issues to go, I still recommend it. Grab the previous trades, 1-5, and then jump in to one of the best books being published today.
Atomic Robo is brilliant, and is starting a new arc with the next issue.

However, if you are looking to get stuck in to a few ongoing series, here are my suggestions (based solely on which books I am enjoying the most):

Batman. If you're enjoying Nightwing (as am I) then this is a must read. It may not be the most accessible time to get in, but just go for it.
Justice League. Same as above. Some great stories, and characters. If you're unnerved by jumping in at 16 or 17 (don't be), then try the new Justice League Of America, which is starting this month.
Flash. There is something about this book that I absolutely love. The art by Francis Manapul is great, as is his storytelling.
DCUniverse Presents. Admittedly, this has been a bit hit and miss. Every 3-6 issues it changes, beginning a new mini-series, telling a new story with new characters.

I hope this has been helpful. Don't be put off by the fact that DC are at issues 16-17. Read a few, and if you like them it shouldn't be too hard to get the relevant previous issues/trades.

CatHaloMovies on FaceBook, @CatHaloMovies twitter.
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »

JL is good, but its currently crossing over with Aquaman for an event; not a good time to jump on, IMO.

There are a ton of number 1's coming out from both companies: Constantine, JLA, Uncanny X-Men, and many books on ish 2,3 or 4 that you can easily catch up on.

And I'm hoping against hope that Spidey becomes better. Right now its like a car accident: I don't want to look but I just can't help it. WTF else are they supposed to do with Spidey besides make him a talking point for fanboys? Everything else they have tried with him for the past few years has become...well, talking points for fanboys Wink

Extremes are always wrong.
SpiderLover

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »

Well I enjoyed BIGTime up to this point in Spidey. I thought it was inspired writing and very enjoyable. Which makes me slightly sad that this has happened. Last Night I added Saga to my list as titles Im reading. The guy who wrote Y the last man. The art is weird and somethings are disturbing, but the story is good. I think I'll check out batman and JLA
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:53:15 PM »

SAGA has been incredible. Its a bit weird, but I love it.

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

I've been really enjoying Walking Dead. Thank god the book is only in black and white. It's a great story about survival has some burtal truth about what could (probably would) happen to humanity durring the zombie apocplypse. I've finished volume 12 and am about to start reading volume 13. More then anything else when main characters die off i find my self wondering who of the survivors is going to get together next.

Part of me really hopes that chunks of story are really just a bad dream and we'll see some of the main cast back later but that's not really what the books is about. I'll keep this as spoolier free as possible and not post any names. This book has me hooked and I'm flying through the trades trying to catch up to the single issue release.

CatHalo
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »

JL is good, but its currently crossing over with Aquaman for an event; not a good time to jump on, IMO.
In my defense, i did say that it was the same as Batman, in so much as it "may not be the most accessible time to get in, but just go for it" :p
But JLA is probably a better bet, given that it is just staring up...again Smiley
Happy reading SpiderLover Smiley

CatHaloMovies on FaceBook, @CatHaloMovies twitter.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

In my defense, i did say that it was the same as Batman, in so much as it "may not be the most accessible time to get in, but just go for it" :p
But JLA is probably a better bet, given that it is just staring up...again Smiley
Happy reading SpiderLover Smiley

Yup, its good. I was mainly agreeing with you and clarifying, a bit.

SpiderLover

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »

SAGA has been incredible. Its a bit weird, but I love it.
I bought all of the issues last night on my iPad and read all 9 issues are out. I was glued to it, I mean it really is a bizarre world, but a good read.
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »

Presently digging the Phantom Stranger.  Aside from some swell magicy stories, it is broadening an older character without giving everything away.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
SpiderLover

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »

So I just bought all of Avengers Academy. I love those characters, anyone know where I can read more on Finesse, Hazmat, Reptil, or Mettle?
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »

Reptil had a one-shot that tied into Avengers: The Initiative a few years back.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=2257

Everyone else, I believe, are brand spanking newbies.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: