Major Spoilers Forum
April 16, 2014, 11:24:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planning on purchasing something through Amazon? Click on the Amazon link on the main site (or here); A small amount of your purchase will go toward Major Spoilers at no additional cost to you.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D&D 3.5 & Pathfinder Thoughts  (Read 999 times)
GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »

I'm sitting at work bored, and my mind is wandering. Between Revenant Shadows potential new 3.5 game on the boards, a conversation with a friend earlier this week, and my own obsessive personality, I'm in a 3.5/Pathfinder mood lately.

I know that Matthew hates 3.5 with the fiery passion of a burning sun, and Rodrigo and Brian aren't huge fans either, but I absolutely love that era of the game. I never got too into the "how can I break the system" thoughts, and I'll be the first to admit that 3.5's grappling rules are absolutely infuriating. There's just something about that system I liked, and Pathfinder refined that for me.

I know that some people here on the boards are 3.5 fans as well, so I'm tossing out a challenge for people - Come up with a character concept or a pop culture character, and I'll do what I can to build them as a 3.5 or Pathfinder character.
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »

I like 3.5. It was a vast improvement over 2nd edition, unless you liked THAC0.

I don't think that its very hard to make any character from 3.5 rules, its one of the great things about the system. At level 20 you could make just about any character.

I mentioned this elsewhere but I think there could be some improvement to making cooperation between character a bigger part of things. The Wonder Twins, Sherlock Holmes and Watson, shit, ANY super hero archetype that incorporates a sidekick, would benefit from some sort of way to make coop more part of the system, like Feats and Skills.

I'm not sure if a shared Feat system or something entirely new, kind of like Psionics or magic, would be the best way to go about such a thing...

Extremes are always wrong.
dantemarx
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:20 PM »

That's a little harsh on 2e. With skills and powers, a flexible DM, and a not ridiculous group of friends, 2e is a flexible and interesting system. That level of non-combat support structure has been reduced since 2e, and many traditional role players complain about the loss of roleplaying in these newer systems as a result.

Now, if you want to build me a pathfinder character, why not start with the cast of the princess bride. Choose appropriate levels for each character and go.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »

That's a little harsh on 2e. With skills and powers, a flexible DM, and a not ridiculous group of friends, 2e is a flexible and interesting system. That level of non-combat support structure has been reduced since 2e, and many traditional role players complain about the loss of roleplaying in these newer systems as a result.

Now, if you want to build me a pathfinder character, why not start with the cast of the princess bride. Choose appropriate levels for each character and go.

I'm not sure how a bash of something as confusing as THAC0 is considered "harsh" at all. Did you like THAC0 over the d20 system? I liked 2E very much so, but I wouldn't say that non-combat support impacted role-playing in any way. As you said, a flexible DM makes all the difference, no matter the system...unless there is trouble with nonsensical math equations.

Princess Bride character interpretations into Pathfinder characters? Inconceivable Smiley

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »

Pathfinder has tried to incorporate some Teamwork feats to emphasize cooperation and such, and while they're decent, they do require planning to make sure that more than one person takes them, otherwise they are useless. The Cavalier class does have some stuff that allows him to share his Teamwork Feats (which he gets as bonus feats), thus ensuring that they can be useful. Said feats do things like "When you and an ally with this feat are next to each other and need to use a reflex save, you can each use whichever save is better between the two of you," "When an ally with this feat charges an enemy, you can spend an immediate action to charge the same enemy as long as you are able to follow all charging rules," or "If an ally with this feat can act in a surprise round, so can you."

The only actual experience I have with 2E stuff is Planescape Torment (a game I found good, but nowhere near as amazing as most people seem to), so I don't have a whole lot of comments on it as a whole.

The Princess Bride crew could be a lot of fun to make. I'll probably just stick with Westley, Inigo, and Fezzick though. Funnily, I think they can all be done as different Archetypes of Fighter. Granted, Westley has the classic "Yeah, the hero might as well have straight 18's for his stats" syndrome going on, but I'll do what I can to stat him with the same point buy as the rest of the guys.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure 3.5e has a PrCl called "Dread Pirate". Sort of a gimme Smiley

Torment was fun. Not near as fun as Neverwinter Nights. Still one of my fav RPGs.

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

You'd think that about Dread Pirate, but the only ability that jumps out at me as "That's something that would really fit Westley" is the Fearsome Reputation bonus that they get (either bonuses to Diplomacy for honorable reputation or Intimidate for a dishonorable reputation).
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »

IDK, perks to Climb that comes with Steady Stance for the wall climb

Acrobatic Charge for the parallel bar swing

Fight to the Death could explain Inigo's miracle survival of the ass kicking he took

I think I could prolly get anything to fit tho; just shave a bit off that square peg Smiley

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »

I was only going to make Westley about level 7 or so, with Inigo and Fezzick at around level 5. They're good, but in the realm of D&D characters they'd be pretty easily bested.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »

I was only going to make Westley about level 7 or so, with Inigo and Fezzick at around level 5. They're good, but in the realm of D&D characters they'd be pretty easily bested.

IDK

I'd see the universe as a low magic world, evident by having only one individual to seek for res magic. And that res magic was very, very simplistic and more akin to tribal magic. I could see those characters at a much higher level or even keeping pace at the levels you stated in a low magic world.

How about characters from the Neverending Story?

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »

Well, I was looking at things like Westley fighting the ROUS in the Fire Swamp. Even if we give the thing the benefit of the doubt, and give it Wolverine stats instead of Dire Rat stats, it is still only a CR 2. He struggled with it (granted, it got the jump on him, but still). I just think the entirety of the Princess Bride world would be considered "low powered" in terms of D&D. Almost an E6 world if you're familiar with what that homerule set is.

For those that aren't, basically, level 6 is the highest level possible. You keep gaining exp after that, and you earn new feats with that EXP, but your hit points, BAB, and such never go past whatever it became when you hit level 6.

There aren't a ton of characters we see doing a whole bunch in The Neverending Story movie, but for Atreyu, I'd go with a Ranger with a horse for his animal companion (Artax!). As he used a rock to kill Gmork (badass), he'd need some of the feats to allow better use of improvised weapons (or maybe he just got a lucky crit).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: