Major Spoilers Forum
July 24, 2014, 04:40:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Consider a donation to the Major Spoilers cause. On the main site click the "Make a Donation" button on the right hand column.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: The Revenant DM  (Read 8011 times)
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:24 PM »

I'll allow anything for your race as long as it was published in a book somehwere. For classes anything that is already upgraded to 3.5 in a printed book.

I would prefer to stay away from anything homebrew or dragon magazine related. However if you're like Nav and you want to play 1 class with the flavor of a 2nd class just run it by me and as long as it comes out balanced I won't have an issue with it.

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »

As far as printed books that I can currently think of.

Any PHB is fine. Oreintal Adventures, Complete _________ , Savage species, Psionics, and for shits and gigs we'll just say any official D&D book that was printed for 3.5.

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »

My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 02:34:51 AM »

should i start another thread for creating a character or just do it here?

I'm starting out with the java character generator, (http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm) but im not sure how to start out with my ability scores, do I just go with random whatever or something like the Point Buy Stat Array?

im kind of using the 3.5 rangers handbook from the wizards forum as a basis, but im still rather clueless,

man, there's a lot of stuff to figure out.

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 02:45:33 AM »

Until I get the go ahead from Rodrigo just post what ever questions you have about your character here. As for stats use the on line dice roller we've been using and have it Roll 4d6 6 times. The rule of thumb is to re roll any 1's you may get and keep the highest 3 dice for each set of rolls.

Once i get the go ahead from Rodrigo I will create a Character Dev thread. Until then I would like to keep any and all information about this game in this thread.

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 02:54:24 AM »

Well, if you're planning on being a Ranger using two weapons, the first level is the roughest. You won't have your Two Weapon Fighting feat yet, so using two weapons is rough. It's best to only use one weapon at first level because of this.

The best thing to do is decide what weapon(s) you'll be using and start working on making it better (Weapon Focus is a decent choice) or buffing up your survivability (Toughness and such).

The positive part is that you don't have to have a high Dexterity for your Two Weapon Fighting, so you can focus on Strength.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 04:27:07 AM »

okay, as of now he's

str  15(+2)
dex 13(+1)
con 14(+2)
int  12(+1)
Wis 11(+0)
Cha  7(-2)

HP=10
speed 30 feet
AC=13
touch ac 11
flat-footed 12

speaks common, and elven,

carries two longswords, (katanas) a sling, and has leather armor

FEATS
urban tracking
weapon focusx1

my discuise is negative 2 in my skills, which is crap, considering shapeshifting will be my main thing, should i redo it for a higher charisma? or maybe take the decietful feat instead of weapon focus? just not worry about it and rolplay with it?

meh, I dunno.

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:28 AM »

Looks like a reasonable spread for your stats. You have to choose a weapon for your Weapon Focus, but thats obviously going to be Longsword. I'd recommend taking Oversized Two Weapon Fighting for your 3rd level feat.

Now the interesting/complicated/annoying part of 3.5 - skills.

If Disguise is going to be a big part of your character concept, I think that you'll probably be allowed to use it as a class skill.

With your stats as a Ranger, you have 28 skill points to spread out. For class skills, you can have up to 4 ranks at this level, and each rank costs 1 point. For cross-class skills, you can have 2 ranks, and each rank costs 2 points.

As a Changeling, you'll be able to have a decent Disguise check regardless of your Charisma score. When using your shape change, you can still have a +12 at level 1 (+4 rank, -2 Cha, +10 Alter Form). Most people will have a hard time seeing through that kind of disguise (someone with max ranks might have a +10 Spot check max). You won't be a complete savant, but you'll be decent.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »

see, thats why i didnt go with rogue, although im not opposed to the class, in my limited opinion a lot of its class features would be wasted on my guy. he doesnt care about traps or lockpicking, or appraising value of stolen goods, he basically disguises himself as someone unassuming, or someone the target trusts, then walks behind them and puts a sword through their neck, puts on their clothes, and then passes as them. he's basically an identity theif that moonlights as an asassin. thats why the urban ranger appealed to me so much.

plus, I like dual wielding, and want a pet snake ^__^

having actually played this sistem, what skills do you think would be actually be usefull, and secondly, in character? I was thinking concentration, hide, jump, search, spot, and use rope, gather information, knowledge (local) and sense motive, along with disguise of course

this is to say nothing of how Revenant feels about a PC who's basically a scumbag, albeit, a scumbag that will help others to suit his own needs.

if you prefer, i dont mind making him more altruistic, but i kind of like him as a creep

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 06:46:16 AM »

I wholly understand. When I'm back at my computer for a bit later, I'll shoot you some information about alternate class features you can use for a changeling rogue. It gets rid of Trapfinding and gives you bonuses to social skills instead (it's from Races of Eberron if you have access to the book at all).

You can take any and only skills that fit what you want your character to be good at. If you don't care about a skill, ignore it.

My only real suggestion is to ditch concentration (Rangers never get much spell casting, and what they do get you can cast outside of combat and won't need concentration much) and take move silently. Hiding is great, but the moment you move, you'll need to be silent or you'll be noticed quick. Similarly, you might want to pick up Listen to compliment Spot.
Navarre
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 06:52:41 AM »

Also remember that Rangers get a favored enemy at 1st level. That gives you a +2 damage against that race as well as a +2 to bluff, listen, sense motive, spot, and survival when dealing with them.

Whatever the likely race is that we'll fight, I bet your Ranger hates them.  Wink
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:15 AM »

I was thinking human, since we'll probably be dealing with them most if i go with Ranger, which i am favoring atm,

Navarre
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »

I always like humans as a preferred favored enemy, at least from the standpoint of the bonuses.

Of course, just to cover myself against you if I play, I'll be sure not to play an elf or something.  Wink
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »

I was thinking human, since we'll probably be dealing with them most if i go with Ranger, which i am favoring atm,

You wont be fighting with humans for quite a while. Goblins would be a better choice if you want to put your bonus to use right away.

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »

that'd be fine, he doesnt particularly like anyone anyhow.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: