Major Spoilers Forum
April 23, 2014, 12:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Have a question for Matthew, Stephen and Rodrigo? Send it to podcast@majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: The Revenant DM  (Read 6872 times)
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »

So after searching through my piles of papers i found my 3.5 module that i was working on. I've got pretty much the first 5 levels mapped out most of which take place in a dungeon. Wafterfall village looks (in my mind) kind of like this
(Below Waterfall)
(Above Waterfall)
with the exception of the airship. Not that they don't exist they just wouldn't be found for any normal reason at the village.

The major near by city of Vanguard

Near by keep that was abandoned years ago

Basic plot. A wizard by the name of Cypher sent hordes of creatures across the lands. Cypher pillaged and looted and stole what he could for his own amusement. 10 years ago it's rumored that a great warrior was able to climb the tower of anguish (Cypher's base of operations). A massive 100 story tower and was able to kill Cypher. This warrior's name is unknown but that doesn't stop fame seekers from trying to claim being responsible for killing the legendary monster.

The local city of vanguard was fortified with thick stone walls and guard towers posted around the perimeter of the entire city. They local king fell ill shortly before the war ended and has rarely been seen since. There are rumors that he is dead but the occasional semi public viewing from his window quickly stifles those rumors.

The Village of Waterfall is a peasant farming village that has is very much a community effort to keep it running. There are a few warriors that help protect the area as well as tend to the farming. Dredge is the village elder, kind of a senile old man, once a powerful wizard now can barely make potions.

The Abandon keep was used as a military outpost. It was over run during the war with Cypher and the King from Vanguard has little to no interest in reclaiming the keep.

That's about all I want to get into at the moment. I have a lot more but rather than typing for hours I'll just leave it at this for now.

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »

That's some cool stuff man! Definitly some exciting stuff could be done with it!

vandalous
V

Oontz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »

Intriguing.  Can't wait to hear more detail.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »

Actually that is it for now. If this gets used in a PBP I don't want give away to much. For those that have been looking for a different 3.5 to play in until Eclipse going again.

This is mainly just an interest check if not enough people are interested I can post the rest of the info I have later.

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »

I dunno if i can handle 3.5, i can barely muddle through 4e

Navarre
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:14:54 AM »

Character creation is tedious in 3.5 but I don't find game play difficult for the players. It is a challenge for the DM sometimes but, hey, that's what Rev is for.  Tongue
Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »

I never worked out a background story for my Elf Wizard, so I'd still like to learn using that mold. Consider me interested, Rev.

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

I too am interested if this starts taking shape. Character creation is actually my favorite part of the early game for D&D, so if be willing to help out anyone who wants it. I actually think up characters as a way to kill time. Creating a 10th level character can keep me amused for an entire evening.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »

thought a changeling bard would be fun from an RP standpoint, dunno how useful it'd be in combat though.

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:34:13 AM »

I scoff at anyone who derides bards for their "lack of usefulness" in combat. With a single feat (Lingering Song) a bard can grant a bonus to attack and damage that will last through just about the whole battle (10 rounds if I recall). This bonus stacks with almost everything else scales with levels, and with that feat the bard is free to spend the rest of his time fighting or casting spells.

Believe me, if you have someone who makes a lot of attacks in the party, the bard's bonuses add up quick.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:27 AM »

Dunno, I really ought to get a 3.5 book so I'm not just talking out of my arse,

I was thinking of an assassin type who poses as several musicians, his own booking agent, his own rivals, random fans/beggars, ect.

Something like a competant version of agent sands from "once upon a time in Mexico" except he really is an adept musician, and affects his appearance gradually according to his audience to maximize his high charisma, and their liking for him, but is narcicistic and somewhat sociopathic (albeit with good intentions?) kind of itching to play a creep. Maybe some kind of assassin would just be simpler,

Player handbook and whatnot's a free PDF isn't it?

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »

http://www.d20srd.org/ is the site with the Core stuff for 3.5.

Honestly, that kind of character could go two different ways easily. You could focus on the music aspect and stick with Bard. At that point you'd end up being more of a team player, buffing your allies into killing people for you and using your music/magic to manipulate people.

Alternately, you could go with a Rogue (changeling rogue is actually one of my favorite class/race combinations). You'd still be able to take the various perform/disguise/bluff/etc skills and use them to act the part of various musicians and such. As a rogue, you'd be more assassin-y and able to deal extra damage in combat from Sneak Attack.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:35 AM »

So that's 2.

Eothr and George.

Nav I know you're on the fence about joining another PBP game but if you're interested let me know. I'd be happy to welcome you sab and your lady friend who's screen name i can't remember right now.

Cowboy you're welcome to join just let me know once you've made your decision. Character creation is a whole new animal for 3.5 but George said he was willing to help. I'm free if you have any questions and the not so reluctant stand it Nav was very helpful when Eothr and I were creating our characters.

Eothr you may use your Elf Wizard if you wish but the magicky item you were going to use in Eclipse needs to be taken off your character sheet.

Also any race that would normally have a +1 level adjustment with out granting you any extra HD can be used with out taking the level adjustment penalty. For example my personal favorite race the Hengeyokai from the Oriental Adventures handbook would not be subject to it's normal level adjustment penalty. Bugbears however that have 3 levels of humanoid are still subject to there +1 level adjustment.

This house rule is meant to allow a slightly larger selection of races to choose from in the beginning.

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 05:08:06 AM »

yeah, put me down as interested,

hmm, through more research, an urban ranger seems like something i like, still considering the rogue, but I like the idea of dual wielding, and having a pet snake eventually. still mulling it over.

Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »

Never had a Magic Item in my Inventory from Strifeter, so clean slate! Grin

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: