Major Spoilers Forum
April 20, 2014, 06:32:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Have a question for Matthew, Stephen and Rodrigo? Send it to podcast@majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JJ's Star Wars  (Read 840 times)
CatHalo
Sleestak

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »

So, it seems official that JJ Abrams will be directing Star Wars Episode VII (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36294). How do we feel about that?
I, for one, am happy. I've been a fan of JJ's for years. His early writing: Forever Young; Armageddon; Joy Ride. Then his TV creations: Alias; Lost; Fringe. Then he started directing the hell out of really good movies, which he wrote too: Mission Impossible 3; Super 8. And what he did with Trek was brilliant.
Then why am I uneasy? Is it because I was hoping they'd have a less obvious choice, like Kershner on Empire? Or because I don't want JJ to get his Star Trek in my Star Wars? We'll have to wait and see. One thing's for sure, it's already looking like it'll be better than most of the prequels Smiley

CatHaloMovies on FaceBook, @CatHaloMovies twitter.
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »

Oh yeah, if he did what he did with Trek he'll destroy Tatooine before Obi-Wan even gets there and screw up the entire universe Wink

Jk. I got over the new Star Trek. I'm excited to see what he brings to the Star Wars table.

Extremes are always wrong.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »

I still refuse to call JJ's Trek a reboot.  Old Spock still exists, so as far as I'm concerned, it is just an alternate timeline (like the Mirror Universe and all those timlines Worf hopped through in that one TNG episode), something that has been a staple Trek story device since TOS.  The fact that it is the current focus for Trek means very little to me, as I believe the "main" universe is still tucked away somewhere waiting to be used again in the future if they so choose. 

As for Star Wars VII, I hope that they don't throw away years of Expanded Universe material to make the new stories for the new movies.  I hope they follow the logical course of the story and tell a story about a future Skywalker (possibly Ben or his kid, since there is a huge gap between the "current" stories of late teens Ben and the stories of Cade Skywalker a few generations away in the Legacy comics).  The first (chronological) trilogy was about Anakin, the second was about his son, so I hope they continue the pattern with a future story rather than re-casting the characters we know. 

I think JJ directing has a lot of potential, but I can't make any judgements this early. 

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »

Totally agree with your Trek statements. That Worf episode is one of my favs, BTW. But, the Trek universe still exists...only on Netflix Smiley

As for JJ taking the reins, I am reserving judgement until I see something materialize, as commonsense suggests, but JJ being on the project means it is very unlikely to suck. And that means a whole lot to me.

Disney seems to be following a formula, the same one they took with The Avengers: get a director that the fanboys adore to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Not saying this will work in everything Disney throws out from now on (surely they are looking to avoid another John Carter) but they sure do know how to build a buzz with their target audience.

Firefox
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:40:30 AM »

I am disappointed about this, cause he was saying he didn't want to do it that he couldn't do it justice.  Sure, he isn't writing the movie, we should be thankful of that, but if there are lens flared lightsabers, I will riot.
Navarre
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:35:13 PM »

I did see somewhere that JJ had apologized for his overuse of lens flare and promised to tone it down for any future movies. It struck me as a response from someone who cares about his craft and what fans think, as opposed to the "Who cares what you think, I make money and like to blow things up" Michael Bay approach.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »

http://www.ted.com/talks/j_j_abrams_mystery_box.html

Worth watching for any level of fan of his or interesting things.

tidge
Rootwalla

?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »

Here is is a youtube link to a very JJ Star Wars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgiJxHjN2k8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: