Major Spoilers Forum
April 20, 2014, 03:22:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow Major Spoilers on Twitter! @MajorSpoilers, @FearsomeCritter, @MightyKingCobra

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC or NPC names that just make your skin crawl  (Read 1132 times)
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:59:08 AM »

So I'm rebooting my home game and my players drummed up there PC's today.

Ayab - Deva Wizard
Ragnarok - Goliath Ranger
Zebith - Drow Bard
Jon Smith - Wilden Battlemind

I like the first 3 but the last name just feels like there was no effort put into that character. It annoys me but I wont force my Player to change it.

It made me curious though what character names PC or NPC have you encountered that just kind of put you off?

Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:48 AM »

I personally have never run into a situation like that, but I have a suggestion for livening up the game: create a Jane Smith to be your Wilden's ex/rival, who frequently shows up to harass the party.

You could keep it simple (another Wilden), branch out to other Fey (a murderous ex-wife Gnome would be beyond memorable), or go exotic (like a Changeling).

This is only a suggestion. I believe that if I were in your shoes, I would approach that player outside of game to express my grievances and construct a new name.

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Navarre
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »

One of my players has, in every game he has ever played (prior to playing in mine), played a Paladin. Each of his PC's, regardless of game world, has been named Thorn D'Odin Valhalla. Whenever possible, he has wanted this PC to be the son of Odin in some fashion.

Odin doesn't exist in my game world so I disallowed that. He opted to change the name.

Far worse, the NPC family members of his Paladin have had such names as:

Sif Alus
Ghon O'Rhea

These have also been disallowed in my game. I had this talk with him privately though during character creation.
Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »

One of my players has, in every game he has ever played (prior to playing in mine), played a Paladin. Each of his PC's, regardless of game world, has been named Thorn D'Odin Valhalla. Whenever possible, he has wanted this PC to be the son of Odin in some fashion.

Odin doesn't exist in my game world so I disallowed that. He opted to change the name.

Far worse, the NPC family members of his Paladin have had such names as:

Sif Alus
Ghon O'Rhea

These have also been disallowed in my game. I had this talk with him privately though during character creation.

The first is disturbingly unoriginal...

But the two after that are just plain disturbing...

sliksham
Denver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »

Only come across this once, in school, a rolemaster character named Yaskin Forrit, the GM took him at his word and he soon died horribly. 4 years later, which is how long it takes to roll up a new character in Rolemaster, he had learnt his lesson and Gilean Looming was born.
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »

Any time someone takes a name from LOTR or another popular property at that time and then tries to "Improve" on the original character.
I have played vs. Pytr Prkyr's and Vayderz and a host of others attempting to improve on the original product but unable to do so largely because the circumstances and roleplay didn't allow for that type of character developement.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »

B'Don Ka Donk - Name a friend used for a character he tried to RP as a stripper to annoy the GM.  GM allowed it but made sure the character died pretty quickly.

Amanda Lorian - Name a friend used for a Mandalorian in a Star Wars game.  The really sad part is it was because I used to joke that I wanted to make a character of the name (but wasn't serious about it).  Though I do think it would work in a humor series, like the Tag and Bink comics where they had a character named Manny Both-Hanz (he died to get the rebels that information).

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Rob, no not that one.
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »

I can only imagine the strange lands this John Smith might hail from or what exotic magics he could wield. Perhaps the ability to instantly communicate with like minded individuals over vast distances or to summon arcane engines to transport the party overland a incredible speed.  Grin

Okay, this looks bad.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

I can only imagine the strange lands this John Smith might hail from or what exotic magics he could wield. Perhaps the ability to instantly communicate with like minded individuals over vast distances or to summon arcane engines to transport the party overland a incredible speed.  Grin

Maybe he'll come up with a good enough back story and It'll help. Although my players are not much into back story which is something I'm working on changing in this game I've just started.

Lachisus
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:54 PM »

create a Jane Smith to be your Wilden's ex/rival, who frequently shows up to harass the party.

Name her Sara-Jane smith and bask in the reference.
Matthew
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

So I'm rebooting my home game and my players drummed up there PC's today.

Ayab - Deva Wizard
Ragnarok - Goliath Ranger
Zebith - Drow Bard
Jon Smith - Wilden Battlemind

I like the first 3 but the last name just feels like there was no effort put into that character. It annoys me but I wont force my Player to change it.

In a way, though, one can infer a lot of context from that name.
Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »

How about this variation: Jorn Smog

Call it a translation correction  Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: