Major Spoilers Forum
August 29, 2014, 11:27:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A big announcement is coming soon! Visit Major Spoilers often to stay in the loop!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strategy Board Games (Go/Baduk, Chess, etc.)  (Read 1348 times)
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »

I play a lot of Go (baduk/weiqi) after graduating to it from years of chess. Anyone else here play some of the more classic 1v1 board games? Anyone interested in throwing down some Go? It is a lot of fun, and I'm willing to teach someone who is willing to learn. A good place to start learning would be here, the "Interactive way to Go". It will guide you step by step through the rules. You can play for free online here at http://GoKGS.

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone played, or anyone was interested in learning.
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »

I have never played Go.

I think the link is broken though and should be "The Interactive Way to Go".

I noticed the rankings for this game are in kyu and dan grades. These are used in martial arts as well. For example, as a fourth degree black belt in a Japanese system, I hold the rank of yondan.

I, however, hold no rank in Go.  Smiley
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »

I, however, hold no rank in Go.  Smiley

I'm only 10 kyu in Go, so I have a lot of improving to do. I have had a bunch of concussions in my life due to stupidity and football (the two aren't mutually exclusive...) and I have a history of alzheimer's in my family so I do it as a way to work my brain and improve my memory/critical reading skills.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »

I read that manga about the kid who finds the spirit of the dead go master and starts playing, and bought a really cool board, can get anyone to play it with me though, so the boards say in my garage for nearly a decade  Embarrassed

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »

I read that manga about the kid who finds the spirit of the dead go master and starts playing

Hikaru no Go?  I liked that story (at least what I read of it when I used to get Shonen Jump until they stopped carrying it here).  That has been the extent of my exposure to the game, though.  I've wanted to try playing, but I could neither find anyone interested or with the game to play with either.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:57:44 AM »

Not so much anymore, thinking about starting my 5 year old twins on chess though. 
Unfortunately my wife is not into THOSE games and having 3 children hampers some of that activity.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

Well, just a friendly reminder for Cowboy Centaur and Alisha Mynx, and anyone else who wants to play... If you're interested in playing online I would be happy to play some teaching games Smiley

Just pm me and we can work out details.
dantemarx
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »

I tried learning GO. Much like chess, its difficult to get good without a good teacher. I learned the hows of playing and the most basic tactics, but never learned how to implement those tactics.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: