Major Spoilers Forum
July 28, 2014, 03:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow Major Spoilers on Twitter! @MajorSpoilers, @FearsomeCritter, @MightyKingCobra

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Venting for a second  (Read 1656 times)
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »

My wife works in health care, and today someone walked into her clinic, broke into her office while she was working with a patient and stole her wallet, phone, and a bunch of other stuff from her office. If you want to file something under "worst possible timing EVER" it would be this... I guess there's no GOOD time to be victimized by theft, but yeesh.

It was probably one of her patients too, her clinic doesn't have security cameras, but they are installing some now. Too little too late. Makes me want to HULK SMASH something, because they stole from someone who dedicates her entire life to helping people. So frustrating.

Anyway, just had to vent for a minute there. Thanks for listening!
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »

That really sucks, Pearce. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm glad it wasn't a situation where she got hurt, so there's that. I hope the rest works out for you.
Kirby Krackle
Rootwalla

Love, friendship and nerdity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »

Wow, sorry to hear that, I hope you both recover quickly.  Smiley

Searching for indie gems.
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:17:17 AM »

That really sucks, Pearce. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm glad it wasn't a situation where she got hurt, so there's that. I hope the rest works out for you.

Me too, the rest is just STUFF that can be replaced, luckily nobody got hurt! Just a bad time to have to replace so much of that stuff... Computer, cell phone, etc. Oh well, not much that can be done but to suck it up and soldier on. At least I set up her laptop with TrueCrypt so none of the data is accessible, and we remote wiped her phone.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:22:45 AM by Pearce » Logged
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »

I'm sorry to hear this.  But I'm very glad to hear that it was only stuff that got taken rather than a worse situation.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »

Been there with my wife having to replace everything.  Fortunately for us, she left her wallet at the municipal building next door to our house.  Unfortunately, with the one trip and multiple phone calls made there, nobody claimed to have seen it.  Then our neighbor who works there found it and said it had been in their lost and found for over a month.  The idiots in that office.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43:00 AM »

H'ok, venting for another second. I work at a drug detox facility here in Vancouver. Recently someone posted online that they were donating their comics to kids charities, so I piped in politely requesting some of the more adult-oriented stuff. We mostly only have cheesy romance novels and religious material for reading here so I thought it would be a good way to get some diversity in the reading material for people who are bored. Anyway, the stuff got dropped off and it was your standard 90s stuff, some early 00s, some civil war / secret war, some 800s Detective Comics. Nothing particularly valuable, about one short box. Anyway, within 10 hours of it being available someone snatched it all and ran out of the building. So much for our comics Sad

Can't have been worth more than 5 bucks all in, but I guess that's enough to buy one hit.

No good deed goes unpunished. Next time I get some comics for the place they're staying in the office unless requested.
Navarre
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:13:18 AM »

I wonder if moving to a safer part of the world might be a good idea for you?
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »

Its been my experience that assholes tend to migrate Smiley Bad people are everywhere.

The environment as well, as suggested by Pearce, is not the best for keeping things just laying around for public use. It sucks, but a list of available reading material and a library system would be nice.

http://www.datacrow.net/

That works nice for my wife's 300+ books.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/index.php?

I use that for my comics.

Maybe not as awesome as moving, but some solutions. Wink

Extremes are always wrong.
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

I love my job and I love Vancouver. I was more just venting at my stupidity for letting my guard down. Been at this for six years now, some times you get lulled into a false sense of security. I know who stole them, so next time he comes through I will have a chat with him about how shitty it was.

According to the Vancouver police, about 80-90% of the property crime here is directly related to the drug trade. It is not really any different if I were to move. If you move anywhere outside Vancouver to the more rural areas it is just less cocaine and heroin, more meth and crack.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:43:46 PM by Pearce » Logged
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »

If you move anywhere outside Vancouver to the more rural areas it is just less cocaine and heroin, more meth and crack.

Not that much different here, either.  Sadly, that includes the "middle-of-nowhere" country areas as well.  Pretty much everywhere I've lived, be it a bigger city like Peoria or St. Louis to a small middle of nowhere farm town with a population of 10, there has been varying degrees of heavy drug issues and the corresponding crimes. 

In the small middle of nowhere farm town I mentioned, we once got robbed while we were in town picking up groceries.  Two days later the meth addict from down the road tried to sell us a TV (which happened to be the one that had just been stolen).

Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:55 AM »

Alisha, that story is amazing... Trying to sell you back your own TV.

For my own home security we have 24 hour video monitoring and an alarm, but most of this is just to get a break on our insurance because they practically aren't very useful. I had a client of mine run me down how he would break into houses and it's not hard to use a low tech solution to get past security. Wait for rain (it helps muffle the sounds of breaking in), wear a hoodie / glasses and work fast. Police automatically put home alarm reports to the very bottom of the priority stack because of the number of false alarms.

On top of this, we have a scary looking pit bull, but she's a total sweet heart and would likely think that anyone breaking in is her new best friend. But she does like to look out the windows and most people think she looks mean so I'll take it.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »

Alisha, that story is amazing... Trying to sell you back your own TV.

Looking back on it now I find it incredibly humorous, right up there with the time my friend and I were watching "Cops" and he saw one of his old classmates getting arrested.  Even at the time, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation even though we were quite angry.

On top of this, we have a scary looking pit bull, but she's a total sweet heart and would likely think that anyone breaking in is her new best friend. But she does like to look out the windows and most people think she looks mean so I'll take it.

She's so cute!! 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: