Major Spoilers Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:51:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The newest podcast in the Major Spoilers family is "Munchkin Land!"

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: "Age of the Guardians"-OOC thread  (Read 24484 times)
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 24, 2013, 02:08:28 AM »

Flying

Some creatures have the innate ability to fly, whereas others gain the ability through powers, magic items, or other attributes. The rules for flight emphasize abstraction and simplicity over simulation. In real life, a flying creature’s ability to turn, the speed it must maintain to stay aloft, and other factors put a strict limit on flight. In the game, flying creatures face far fewer limitations.
    Flight follows the basic movement rules, with the following clarifications.

Fly Speed: To fly, a creature takes the walk, run, or charge action but uses its fly speed in place of its walking speed. A creature that has a fly speed can also shift and take other move actions, as appropriate, while flying.

Moving Up and Down: While flying, a creature can move straight up, straight down, or diagonally up or down. There is no additional cost for moving up or down.

Falling Prone: If a creature is knocked prone while it is flying, it falls. This means a flying creature falls when it becomes unconscious or is subject to any other effect that knocks it prone. The creature isn’t actually prone until it lands and takes falling damage.

Remaining in the Air: A flying creature does not need to take any particular action to remain aloft; the creature is assumed to be flying as it fights, moves, and takes other actions. However, a flying creature falls the instant it is stunned, unless it can hover (see "Flight Traits").
Landing: If a creature flies to a surface it can hold onto or rest on, the creature can land safely.

Terrain: Terrain on the ground does not affect a flying creature if the terrain isn’t tall enough to reach it. Because of this rule, flying creatures can easily bypass typical difficult terrain, such as a patch of ice on the ground. Aerial terrain (see below) can affect flying creatures.

Flight Traits
Many flying creatures have traits related to flight, which are noted in a creature’s stat block.
    Altitude Limit: If a creature has a specified altitude limit, the creature falls at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than that limit. For example, a creature that has an altitude limit of 2 falls at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than 2 squares.
    Hover: A creature that can hover, such as a beholder, can remain in the air even when it is stunned.

Aerial Terrain
Difficult terrain for a flying creature includes airborne debris, swirling winds, and other factors that interfere with flight, including surface features that reach to a great height. Clouds provide concealment, while towers, floating castles, and other structures provide cover. Strong gusts of wind work like currents in water, following the rules under “Current".

Difficult Terrain

Rubble, undergrowth, shallow bogs, steep stairs, low furniture, and many sorts of other impediments are difficult terrain, which hampers movement.

Costs 1 Extra Square: Each square of difficult terrain costs 1 extra square of movement to enter. Some difficult terrain, such as a low wall, is on the line between two squares, rather than in the squares themselves. Entering a square by crossing that line costs 1 extra square of movement.
    Because difficult terrain costs that extra square of movement to enter, a creature can’t normally shift into it. However, if a power or some other effect lets a creature shift 2 squares, the creature can shift into a square of difficult terrain.

Large, Huge, and Gargantuan Creatures: If a Large or larger creature enters two or more squares that have different kinds of terrain, count that square of movement according to the most difficult terrain. Count only squares the creature is entering for the first time, not squares it already occupies.

Terrain Walk: Some creatures have a trait called terrain walk, which allows them to ignore difficult terrain in specific kinds of environments. See the “Movement-Related Traits” sidebar for definitions of the different kinds of terrain walk.

Combat Advantage

One of the most common attack roll modifiers is combat advantage, which represents a situation in which a target can’t give full attention to defense. The target is pressed by multiple enemies at the same time, stunned, distracted, or otherwise caught off guard. Combat advantage has two rules.

+2 Bonus to Attack Rolls: A creature gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls against a target granting combat advantage to it.

Able to See Target: A creature must be able to see a target to gain combat advantage against it. This rule means a blinded creature cannot have combat advantage against anyone.

Once per encounter, a creature can try to gain combat advantage against a target by making a Bluff check.
    Combat advantage is relative. In any given pair of combatants, either, both, or neither might have combat advantage against the other. It’s possible for a single creature to be adjacent to one enemy that has combat advantage against it and a second enemy that does not.

Flanking

One of the simplest ways for two allied creatures to gain combat advantage is for them to take up flanking positions adjacent to an enemy.

Combat Advantage: A creature has combat advantage against any enemy it flanks.

Opposite Sides: To flank an enemy, a creature and at least one of its allies must be adjacent to the enemy and on opposite sides or corners of the enemy’s space. When in doubt about whether two creatures flank an enemy, trace an imaginary line between the centers of the creatures’ spaces. If the line passes through opposite sides or corners of the enemy’s space, the enemy is flanked.

Large, Huge, and Gargantuan Creatures: A Large or larger creature is flanking as long as at least one square of its space qualifies for flanking.

Restrictions: A creature cannot flank an enemy that it can’t see. A creature also cannot flank while it is subject to any effect that prevents it from taking actions. If no line of effect exists between a creature and its enemy, the creature cannot flank the enemy.

size

Tiny: Four individual Tiny creatures can fit in a square, and a Tiny creature can enter a larger creature’s space and end its turn there. Having a reach of 0 means a Tiny creature cannot make melee attacks against targets outside its own space, unless otherwise noted. Examples: mundane animals such as cats and crows.

Small: Small creatures occupy the same space as Medium creatures, but they face some restrictions in the weapons they can wield (see “Weapons and Size"). Examples: gnomes, goblins, halflings.

Medium: This is the size of a typical human and serves as a standard in the game. This category has no special rules. Examples: humans, dwarves, elves, orcs.

Large, Huge, and Gargantuan: Creatures larger than Medium take up more than 1 square. For instance, an ogre takes up a space that is 2 squares by 2 squares. Most Large and larger creatures also have a reach greater than 1, which means they can make melee attacks against creatures that aren’t adjacent to them. A creature’s basic body shape usually determines its reach; a Large ogre has a reach of 2, but a Large horse has a reach of 1. Examples: dragons, giants, trolls.

These are the bulk of the rules we've been discussing here in the OCC thread. No where does it say anything about having it be considered difficult terrain to move into an enemy square. I also don't care to argue about it anymore. No where in the rules do they consider it an issue and I'm not going allow to have one house ruled to hinder my character further.

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: January 24, 2013, 04:19:14 AM »

I'm gonna go for a paragon path that allows Vold to fly somehow.  Wink

Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 24, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »

I'm gonna go for a paragon path that allows Vold to fly somehow.  Wink
If you were a Dragonborn, it'd be easy-peasy; that said, look at Paragon Paths that offer flight, and see if you need to Multi-Class in the future.

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »

maybe i'll homebrew some kind of pegasus/centaur/minotaur hybred. that wont complicate things at all, will they?  Grin

Navarre
« Reply #469 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »

An NPC in my current irl game party is a pegasus/unicorn hybrid. She's quite powerful.

She's friendly too but, even though we lead her to water, we can't make her drink.
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »

my daughter has a great fondness for Pegacorns,

she had me make her a Pegataur (coined the term herself, lol) when we were making shrinky dinks the other day

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »

Sadly I don't think you took the Tunderborn Wrath Class Feature but this one has a very limited flight ability.

Building Thunder

"Dragon, the spirits rebuke you with thunder!"
Prerequisite: Barbarian, Thunderborn Wrath class feature

As you have grown in power, the thunder spirits riding on your war cries have amassed strength of their own. When your weapon strikes true, the spirits pour from you in an unrivaled storm, smashing enemies who might have shrugged off your physical blows or the war cries of a lesser thunderborn barbarian.

Like a great storm piling thunderheads higher and darker, you gather strength as you fight battles and suffer wounds. More conservative warriors hold back or retreat when their wounds accumulate, whereas you reach your peak when your reserves are close to their end.

When the storm finally breaks, your voice calls the lightning as well as the thunder spirits. You master the full arsenal of the storm.

BUILDING THUNDER PATH FEATURES
    Thunder Rolls In (11th level): When you spend an action point to use a thunder power, you can turn any blast 3 created by that power into a blast 5.
    Thunderous Echo (11th level): When you hit an enemy with a thunder power, you deal extra thunder damage equal to your Constitution modifier to the first creature you hit before the end of your next turn.
    Lightning Flash (16th level): Your thunder powers deal lightning and thunder damage when they deal thunder damage.

Building Thunder Attack 11Finishing Thunder

You attack, then release a thundering shout that blasts injured enemies.

Encounter        Primal, Thunder, Weapon
Standard Action      Melee weapon

Target: One creature

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage. You then howl in a blast 3 that includes the target. Each bloodied enemy in the blast takes 5 + your Constitution modifier thunder damage.

Building Thunder Utility 12Storm Gathering

Through sheer force of will, you turn the fatigue of the day’s battles to your advantage.

Encounter        Primal
Minor Action      Personal

Effect: Until the end of your next turn, your attacks deal extra thunder damage equal to the number of healing surges you have spent since your last extended rest.

Building Thunder Attack 20Storm Dragon Rage

Lightning arcs from your weapon as you fly against those that defy the storm.

Daily        Lightning, Primal, Rage, Thunder, Weapon
Standard Action      Melee weapon

Target: One creature

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier lightning and thunder damage. You then howl in a blast 3 that includes the target. Each enemy in the blast, other than the target, is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Miss: Half damage.

Effect: You enter the rage of the storm dragon. Until the rage ends, once per round when you hit with an at-will attack power, you deal 1[W] lightning and thunder damage to each enemy within 3 squares of you. In addition, you gain a fly speed equal to your speed, and you must land at the end of your turn when you fly using this rage.

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 24, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »

This one is a 2 part paragon path. You'll have to take a feat first but overall it gives you a better range with your flight and lets you fly more often. Also you'll need a halfway decent Con Score for the Paragon Path attacks.

Mark of Storm [Dragonmark]

Heroic Tier
Benefit: Whenever you hit an enemy with a thunder or lightning power, you can slide that enemy 1 square.
You gain a +1 bonus to speed when flying.
You can master and perform the Endure Elements, Enhance Vessel, Summon Winds, and Water Walk rituals as if you had the Ritual Caster feat.

Lyrandar Wind-Rider

"Battling me is as futile as trying to strike the wind. And if you try, you’ll look just as foolish."
Prerequisite: Mark of Storm feat

You’re more at home in the skies aboard a House Lyrandar airship than you are on the ground. Through the power of your dragon mark, you exert control over wind and weather. You’re naturally held aloft by breezes, but the wind isn’t just a constant companion, it’s also a weapon in your arsenal. With the aid of your dragon mark, you can cause sudden bursts of wind that send your enemies flying. With enough power, you can even summon a tornado to tear through your enemy’s ranks. Those who trifle with you feel the fury of the storm.

LYRANDAR WIND-RIDER PATH FEATURES
    Storm Adept (11th level): You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a bonus equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) to damage from lightning or thunder attack powers.
    Wind-Rider Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you gain a fly speed equal to your speed (and can hover) until the end of your next turn.
    Feather's Touch (16th level): Once per encounter, you can use the wizard utility power feather fall.

Lyrandar Wind-Rider Attack 11Wind Burst

With the power of your dragon mark, you call forth a column of wind that lands on your enemies, scattering them in all directions.

Encounter        Implement
Standard Action      Area burst 2 within 10 squares

Target: Each creature in the burst

Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Fortitude

Hit: 3d6 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage, and you push the target 2 squares away from the attack’s origin square. A target in the burst’s origin square is knocked prone instead of pushed.

Lyrandar Wind-Rider Utility 12Zephyr Wings

You feel a rush of wind at your back, and you’re carried aloft.

Daily 
Minor Action      Personal

Effect: You gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your next turn.

Sustain Minor: The effect persists.

Lyrandar Wind-Rider Attack 20Unruly Cyclone

Your dragon mark flares as you struggle to control a powerful tornado and blast your foes.

Daily        Implement, Zone
Standard Action      Area burst 1 within 10 squares

Effect: The burst creates a zone of violent wind that lasts until the end of your next turn. As a move action, you can move the zone 4 squares. Each creature that starts its turn within the zone is subject to the following attack.

Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Fortitude.

Hit: 3d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier, and you push the target 4 squares away from the burst’s origin square.

Sustain Minor: The zone persists.

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 25, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »

Gentlemen. I want to offer you all my sincere apologies. I had my laptop and phone stolen out of my car, and as such have been unable to get onto the internet till tonight (got my first paycheck for the new job and instantly replaced my phone).

Again, sorry for the absence. I'm glad you guys continued things, and sorry I left ou hanging.

I just read through he ooc and ic threads (and I can only attribute my username appearing online to the jerk using my computer or old phone), so I'm all caught up.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 25, 2013, 01:23:31 AM »

Glad to see you've made it back George. You've been missed that's for sure. I'm sorry to hear about the theft of your personal items.

sliksham
Denver

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 25, 2013, 01:34:52 AM »

Nice to have you back, we missed some fiery destruction Smiley
Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 25, 2013, 07:27:46 AM »

Welcome back George...

Unfortunately, I got sick last night, and I feel like utter Hell today...I'll try to post some direction later today in the story thread, but right now I'm half-dead in bed. Sorry for the delay.

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Navarre
« Reply #477 on: January 25, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »

Welcome back, George!

I hope you feel better soon, Eothr.
Tondi-
Villain
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 29, 2013, 01:24:25 AM »

By the way, all those rules that were posted back up my stance about flying tiny creatures in my opinion.  I just didn't want to harp on about it  Grin

It looks like we're hitting the pbp slow down stage, it happens in most pbps, lets all try stay vigilant and fill the gaps with rp  ; Cheesy

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 29, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »

By the way, all those rules that were posted back up my stance about flying tiny creatures in my opinion.  I just didn't want to harp on about it  Grin

I don't see how. It says nothing about creatures counting as difficult terrain for anyone or anything. Any rule like that should be listed somewhere that's clearly written. It would apply for small creatures with a large creature or bigger and medium creatures with huge creatures or bigger.

Difficult terrain is also clearly listed as rubble vines or different inanimate objects. Areial terrain is currents or aerial debries. It's inanimate objects that block your path count as difficult or aerial terrain. Creatures are Defenitally not inanimate.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: