Major Spoilers Forum
September 02, 2014, 11:40:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Now you can make a recurring donation to Major Spoilers. Look for the button on the right-hand column of www.majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: "Age of the Guardians"-OOC thread  (Read 31768 times)
sliksham
Snorkasaurus

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:43 AM »

so glad there are a bunch of minions at the moment, otherwise I might be more worried.

I think I updated the grid with my move, but I'm not sure if I did it right.
Tondi-
Villain
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2013, 03:57:30 AM »

I too think that a first post first served system is better but i've been playing that system for ages so i'm probably just stuck in my ways.

I do like the idea of me not getting CA on pierce because his init was higher though.  Keep that for effects.

I also have seen people split the baddies in the first round.  If a baddies beats all the PCs they go first, then PCs, then all the baddies again.  So all the bad guys have caught up together by their second attack.  This type of system might be more to your liking.

sliksham
Snorkasaurus

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2013, 05:11:32 AM »

Once we are set on a system, we can then clarify the way 'end of next turn' effects work as well please Smiley

Currently its not an issue as anything I do would last all the way round to the end of my turn, in initiative order.
The 'first post first to act' method would mean end of turn effects would need to last the whole of the next turn, even if I went last in round 1 and first in round 2, otherwise its totally a pain. It would behoove us to be more organised though.
Navarre
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »

Just passing by here but I'll give my thoughts on this.

Throughout the entirety of the Shadow War campaign I used individual initiative. Each character went on their own initiative count.

If the DM wanted to let all party members go together then all enemies (or vice-versa) that is their call. I never did it that way because the grid handles initiative rolling just fine. But even if it's all one group then all the other, I think individual initiative within a group works best for the way the game is designed and is more realistic.

In-game, it allows for critical and epic moments. That moment when Player 1 gets hit with Blade Barrier and ripped to shreds just before Player 2 can get to them. Or Player 2 being buffed with Stoneskin by Player 1 just before the enemy hits with his greataxe.

In-game (at least in 3.5) a combat round represents about 6 seconds of time. A lot can happen in six seconds of a fight but what doesn't happen is all participants striking at exactly the same moment. Fractions of a second count in the real world and initiative simulates that.

From the gaming side, yes, it can occasionally slow things down if it is a person's turn and that player is absent. The key is to have dedicated players (and DM) who post at a reasonable rate.

But I never had any problem with the fact that each character on the board goes on their own initiative. It worked fine for me.

All that matters is that the game mechanics don't become problematic with whatever system is utilized and that all involved are content with the system in place.
Tondi-
Villain
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2013, 07:45:46 AM »

I've had and seen more games die cause of individual initiative ten anything else.  Just saying.

As for the realistic comment....c'mon!

Navarre
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »

Sorry, I didn't understand that comment. Could you elaborate please?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »

Sorry, I didn't understand that comment. Could you elaborate please?

My only guess is that he's commenting on how this is a fantasy game and in no way realistic.

The realism for each player is different. Personally every time I log on and post in the actual game thread. I'm no longer in my own personal what would Rev sorrow have wingtip do mind set. I'm thinking about how as a 1 foot tall pixie how can I protect my friends and make sure my father Corellon is not displeased with my action.

It combat I keep that mind set. I personally don't care weather NPC's live or die cause they're not that important in the game.

Wingtip would be heartbroken if anything happened to Raven but ok with it if something were to happen to Hawke. He will still try to protect them both because that is the job his father has given him as a protector.

The realism may not be the same for all but part of that felt lost to me with this style of combat.

Sliksham - My understanding was we all post our turns in what ever order we can just so they're up and then they happen in our initiative order. Which can also be an issue for your warlord buffing powers. You might buff the party and it's not factored in because someone who goes after you posted before you and didn't know you were going to buff them.

sliksham
Snorkasaurus

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »

yup, as I said, I don't mind how we do it, just getting it all clarified in my head is all I need to do Smiley
Navarre
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »

{I'm using Grasping Shadows which is a burst 1 centered on Q11. This also has the effect of making a zone of shadows that will last till the end of my next turn and everyone who enters or starts there will take 4 damage and be slowed as long as the zone lasts. I'm not sure how exactly to make a zone in this map.}

{The Grid doesn't allow for burst attacks and such, just movement.}

Actually, it does.

I didn't know what "Burst 1" means, as it is not used in 3.5, but I posted a burst area of effect on Q11 just for illustration.

I am also curious as to why everyone is typing something like "Move: E, E, E to (square)" when the player can make his character move on the map by the following method:

click on the last posted grid map
allowing the resulting new window to open
click on a square adjacent to their character's current position on the grid
the grid map will update, showing the character's move, movement length, and new position
continue moving as desired/available
click the code box located on the bottom right section of the screen, which will auto-copy the BB Code
paste the resulting code into your reply, thus not only creating an updated map for everyone but allowing the next person to do the same thing

Of course, if everyone acts all at the same time, one person might move then another person's actions will affect that in some way. If everyone posted in initiative order though, the above method works very well, always providing a current grid map in-game.
sliksham
Snorkasaurus

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »

Burst 1 is a 3x3 area centered on the target square, 4e doesn't have circular or cone areas in it for simplicity's sake, just squares and walls.

The reason people have been posting directions is that we have not been posting in initiative order, although that is the order we will be acting in; hence the discussions here about how we would be handling the situation, everyone has experience of doing it differently and this first siuation we are in will be the catalyst for nailing down how we will proceed from here on in I suppose.
Navarre
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2013, 10:02:52 AM »

Yeah. That's part of why I don't understand why people wouldn't act in initiative order.

The benefits are that there would always be an updated grid map, no one's actions accidentally negates or hinders another's actions, people would always know when it was their turn, and it uses the game mechanics designed for the game itself.

The benefit of not using initiative in this way is that people don't have to attend to the game and can post whenever they want. While this can keep the game from stalling completely for one player, it also creates a lot more mechanics issues it seems.

Of course, I have no stake in this. I'm just posting thoughts, as I usually do. I'm sure everyone will come to some consensus or Eothr will simply declare the rule and that will be that.
Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »

I'm trying to work it out, believe me Undecided

Now, I gotta go for the moment, but I'll have my phone.

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
sliksham
Snorkasaurus

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

We trust in you Eothr, we're just bandying around all sides of the argument Smiley
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »

Minotaur down! See that's why raging while the little defender struggles in the corner is bad.  Wink

Navarre
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »

We trust in you Eothr, we're just bandying around all sides of the argument Smiley

Absolutely. There's not a "right way".

It has to be whatever makes everything the most manageable and what everyone prefers. Ultimately it is the DM's call and I have no doubt this DM will work things out.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: