Major Spoilers Forum
April 17, 2014, 07:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A big announcement is coming soon! Visit Major Spoilers often to stay in the loop!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: comic book covers....  (Read 1732 times)
Marvel2099
V

Spider-Man is still trying to headbutt Wolerine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »

I think it depends what type of collector you are if a cover is important or not.  While researching what conditions to keep my comics I found out there are four types of comic collector. The reader, collector, infester or the Speculator.

The reader only reads a comic once or twice a month.  Kind of like how I started. Save up my pocket money go to the newsagent and buy a comic that looked the most exciting.

The collector will collect a certain artist, series or character.  So the cover doesn't really matter if the comic was part of a series he was collecting or has a certain hero in it.

Infestor who collects but also keeps them for infestment.  I can kind of call myself as an invester, as I buy the comics and if it is an important issue I will buy a couple of the variant covers or multiple copies to have a unopened version.  Best example is Fantastic 4 in the "death" bag or Amazing Spider-man #700 as I have just bought 5 variant covers.

Speculators buy comics just to make money.  So the cover is very important.  They will buy a comic with a rare cover just so they can make money from it later down the line.  I have seen this a few time.  When a comic gets into the news loads of people will buy it.  Partly due to being on the news and the PR, however some will buy a load of them to sell onto the collectors who would have bought them in the first place.

So for me regular covers are not that important as half the time I don't see them before buying them.  I also buy variant covers. during AvX I bought both the team X-men and team Avengers variant covers.

If I had the powers of Multiple Man, I would send one of the dupes to work, one to revise, one to clean my room and one to walk the dog.  While I would stay at home reading comics.
Navarre
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »

I was a Collector. I bought every issue of titles like Avengers or Uncanny X-Men, regardless of who drew it or wrote it. The cover was only of passing interest to me.

Now I am a Reader. I buy an issue if I think I'll like the story and can at least tolerate the art. The cover is still not of much interest to me.

If I find a title I really like, such as Morning Glories or Irredeemable, I will slip back into Collector mode for that title. But again the cover wouldn't matter much.

So I agree that there are different reasons one buys comics and that can determine what all this means to you.
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »

I'm a reader, but I buy what I like despite that fact.

If a cover looks cool, I may just buy it.

And a collector may buy a comic he has never read before just because he is collecting a certain artist or writer.

No, buying 5 variants of an 8 dollar comic would not make you an investor it would make you INSANE Smiley jk

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »

No, buying 5 variants of an 8 dollar comic would not make you and investor it would make you INSANE Smiley jk

But there's the Wolverine black & silver variant, the Wolverine brown variant, Wolverine bone claw variant, Wolverine disco gigolo variant, and one cover featuring both Wolverine and Spider-Man! How can I not buy all those?!?
Marvel2099
V

Spider-Man is still trying to headbutt Wolerine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »

one cover featuring both Wolverine and Spider-Man!
Two of the most used heroes on the cover of a Marvel comic and thanks to another Wolverine film, expect even more.

No, buying 5 variants of an 8 dollar comic would not make you and investor it would make you INSANE Smiley jk
It's a good thing I didn't buy the variant cover that cost $750 then

If I had the powers of Multiple Man, I would send one of the dupes to work, one to revise, one to clean my room and one to walk the dog.  While I would stay at home reading comics.
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »

Ok this is just a quick rant or comment about comic book covers. I hate going down o the keep (local comic book store) and going over the comic book rack and seeing all this great art on the covers, getting me all excited tell i pop open the book and Wham! Shitty art inside, well not shitty but sub par. So many books out there is crappy art inside, they spend a ton on money to pay the cover artist but nothing inside for a decent artist. I know not every book is like this, but there is a ton of them, and it is really annoying. UGHHHHHHH!!!! Not going to say I could do a better job, but I just did say that. - _ -
One of the biggest regular bait and switches for me was JLI of the late 80's/90's.  They had some great covers, and Ty Templeton doing the interiors.  Never being a fan of his, I saw wonderful cover art, and looked inside to see art that made Rob Liefeld look like the great anatomical purist. 
On the reverse of that, I would have enjoyed seeing Brian Stelfreeze doing interiors to Shadow of the Bat.  He did all of the covers to the series, and I knew that he was not doing anything inside.  While the interior artwork was also very good, Mr. Stelfreezes covers were stylized and excellent.  I wasn't fooledby anymeans and not disappointed by opening the cover either.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
_brad_
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »

All I know is when my books finally come out, I am going to be doing all the covers, or take art from the pages and use it as a cover.

Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

All I know is when my books finally come out, I am going to be doing all the covers, or take art from the pages and use it as a cover.

Self publishing? That will be refreshing.

Through an actual publisher? I bet you let editorial do what they want Smiley

Extremes are always wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: