Major Spoilers Forum
August 22, 2014, 10:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planning on purchasing something through Amazon? Click on the Amazon link on the main site (or here); A small amount of your purchase will go toward Major Spoilers at no additional cost to you.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: comic book covers....  (Read 2319 times)
_brad_
Sleestak

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »

Ok this is just a quick rant or comment about comic book covers. I hate going down o the keep (local comic book store) and going over the comic book rack and seeing all this great art on the covers, getting me all excited tell i pop open the book and Wham! Shitty art inside, well not shitty but sub par. So many books out there is crappy art inside, they spend a ton on money to pay the cover artist but nothing inside for a decent artist. I know not every book is like this, but there is a ton of them, and it is really annoying. UGHHHHHHH!!!! Not going to say I could do a better job, but I just did say that. - _ -

Rob, no not that one.
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »

Ahh. The old bait and switch, as marketing strategys go it's up there with cold calling and forum spam but before you blow a blood vessel spare a thought for the poor interior artist.

He has to interperate the writers wishes while balancing the his desire to make attractive art against the need to tell the story all while under relentless presure to meet his deadlines. Meanwhile the cover artist can focus on just one job, producing a cover image that will stand out on the shelf and make you pick up the book. Not to like the book, not to understand the book, not even to buy the book. Just pick it up, once it's actually in your hands the chances of you parting with your money   go through t he roof and that's why cover artist get the big bucks.

My personal bugbear for covers is bland team shots featuring characters that don't actually apear in the book.

Okay, this looks bad.
_brad_
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »

I love that, when the used old art that was from last issue and the cover artist is last so they stick it on the cover for next month and it has nothing to do with the story. ugh.

Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:33 AM »

Congratulations! What was your major? Saddled with insane amounts of student debt?
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:02:50 AM »

Congratulations! What was your major? Saddled with insane amounts of student debt?

Argh, I fail at posting in the forums. This was supposed to be in the graduation thread. Sad
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:13:09 AM »

I'd agree that this is a bait and switch...if it wasn't for the fact that you can actually look in the book before buying.

If you are judging books by their covers you deserve whatever it is you get.

Extremes are always wrong.
_brad_
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »

I always look inside before I buy. But it just feels like they are over all short changing the customer. I say use art from inside the book, save the money from paying a high end cover artist and pay a better penciler and inker to really tell the story. Crafting a good book from the beginning is much better then throwing out crap every month, and people will appreciate it more.

Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »

People will always find a reason to complain about a book. ALWAYS!! It doesn't matter what is on the cover.

Sequential art requires two things: some words and some art coming together to tell a story. What's on the cover matters not in this function. And while readers buy books that have a sucky story because the art is good, and vice versa, a good cover is always a good cover. The interior art relies on the story AND vice versa, despite anyone's particular taste. But the cover? That's arbitrary. It stands on its own despite whatever comes after it.

Of course, as you have pointed out, that's a bad thing AND a good thing. But as long as we, as readers, understand this, it doesn't have a real impact on anything.

Marvel2099
V

Spider-Man is still trying to headbutt Wolerine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 07:27:26 AM »

There are two sides of this particular argument. A cover is there for two reasons, make the reader pick it up and to give a clue as to what the story is. 

If the main aim is to tell you what is in the comic, then there is no reason to use an image from the artist inside the issue.  Sometimes on a 2nd printing an image from inside the comic is used as the cover.  The problem is all the variant covers that keeps being released.  I admit have bought a few over the years.  But as they are drawn by different artists, even if it is pointed out on the cover.

Another way to look at it is computer games.  It's not often that the images match the cover image.  Gamers know this and understand it's only an image on the box.  However if a trailer on TV has non in game images, it has to state it on advert.

So it can be annoying sometime, look at the S.W.O.R.D issues where Beast looked more like a dog than a cat., but looked fine on the cover.  However if the detail went into the comic it would take 3 months to create it.

If I had the powers of Multiple Man, I would send one of the dupes to work, one to revise, one to clean my room and one to walk the dog.  While I would stay at home reading comics.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »

I disagree with your entire premise.

Comic book covers are meant to do nothing more than entertain, the same purpose of the pages between that cover. Of course, I guess this would constitute getting a reader to "pick up the book" as you stated, and while a comic book cover may in fact be enough to make me shell out a few bucks for a shitty comic, its usually not.

So, a third side of this argument could be, "who gives a shit" Smiley Its blunt, maybe rude, but honestly, is there anyone out there who is buying comics and not going on the internet prior to even thinking about what books to buy? I know what I am going to read before I even see a cover and it has nothing to do with what is ON that cover.

Navarre
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »

I don't research my comics online too much before buying, though I do take advantage of any Major Spoilers information to help me make my choices. But I also don't equate the cover to the interior.

I appreciate a good cover but I don't have any expectation of the interior art based on it. If I like the interior art well enough I buy based on that from the artistic side. I wouldn't buy or not buy a comic based on the cover art so it doesn't matter to me.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

I don't research my comics online too much before buying, though I do take advantage of any Major Spoilers information to help me make my choices. But I also don't equate the cover to the interior.

I appreciate a good cover but I don't have any expectation of the interior art based on it. If I like the interior art well enough I buy based on that from the artistic side. I wouldn't buy or not buy a comic based on the cover art so it doesn't matter to me.

Fair enough, but, and correct me if I am wrong, you aren't going weekly and buying 5+ titles a week, or something comparable, are you?

This is where I am coming from. Comic book buyers don't usually just go into a shop and say, "Oh, that cover looks fun, I'll buy that." At least, this is my experience. I can't tell you at all what the next Batman cover will look like, but I can tell you for certain that I WILL be buying it. Just like I can tell you, with almost complete certainty, exactly what books I will be buying EVERY time I walk into the shop because I just bought that book last month with one number lower on the cover. And those books that I WILL pick up on a whim are not purchased because that cover looks so damned good.

That isn't to say I wouldn't pick up a book because of the cover, but if I do its because I just want that cover, not necessarily wanting whats within the pages of that book. And I think this is a very different thing than the OP was suggesting.

Navarre
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

Right. I think we are in agreement on that.

No, I only buy a comic sporadically. But I have the opportunity to pick it up and look inside to see what the art looks like.

If I didn't like the interior art at all I might not buy it. Perhaps if I liked the interior art well enough I might be it based on that alone.

But I wouldn't buy or not buy a comic based on the cover art. It's either something that I appreciate on my purchase or ignore in favor of the story and interior art that I am there to experience.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »

I wonder if there is anyone who has purchased a comic based solely on the cover without the cover being the actual purchase (if that makes sense)?

There was a dual cover of Avengers: Initiative I bought once.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QIH2K_GEEYM/TfFUcfaL6fI/AAAAAAAAAZE/uxBbgiBjsuY/s1600/775px-Avengers_Initiavive_number_1.jpeg

It was that image with half on one cover half on another. I think that may count...

Variant, IMO, are different. Again, if the cover is cool I'll buy the book just for the cover, if only occasionally, but umpteen covers on a book I'm going to buy anyways is a perk. More choice is always a good thing.

What I really hate, and I see this more in indie books (the GI Joe titles come to mind first) is two or three different covers for each and every issue. Choice perks aside, when all the covers look awesome it makes my choosing very difficult. I hate that Smiley  It also makes recognizing individual titles more difficult...hold on a sec my violin is a bit out of tune Wink

I'll say that I really like those covers that are blank or have segments that are blank that are for getting original art at shows and such. I've never bought one or had one done but I think its a neat idea.

Navarre
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »

I'll say that I really like those covers that are blank or have segments that are blank that are for getting original art at shows and such. I've never bought one or had one done but I think its a neat idea.

Those can be cool.

I am sure some people would buy a comic only for its cover. Everyone has their own tastes and ways of doing things.

I definitely want my comics to have a good cover. And, like you, I prefer only over cover to a given issue to make it easier to recognize.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: