Major Spoilers Forum
August 28, 2014, 04:14:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Consider a donation to the Major Spoilers cause. On the main site click the "Make a Donation" button on the right hand column.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hobbit: An unexpected Journey  (Read 5227 times)
SpiderLover
Dragonborn Multiclass Fighter/Warlock

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »

So this movie has a tone difference I want to stress that. This is not lord of the rings. That being said I liked it. Richard artimage as thorin stole the show and his intensity got the adrenaline pumping. Mr Freeman's performance was great he captured Bilbo where I didn't think that would be possible.

A lot of people will likely complain about the songs, I loved them. Well the Orc one not so much as it was better in that 1977 cartoon. However when the mist mountain song hit I just was captured in the moment. I plan on seeing it again this week. What are your thoughts?
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:11:49 AM »

I really didn't care for it too much. I wasn't invested in the characters or their motivations.
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »

I really didn't care for it too much. I wasn't invested in the characters or their motivations.

I've heard this more than once.

I haven't seen it yet, and with a 3 hour run time, I doubt I will prior to a DVD release. I just don't really care that much. I'd honestly rather just reread the book.

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »

The dwarves are only motivated to get back their mountain and their gold. They barge in on Bilbo, make a mess, then spend the rest of the movie insulting him.

I was given no reason to care about such self-absorbed people.
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »

The dwarves are only motivated to get back their mountain and their gold. They barge in on Bilbo, make a mess, then spend the rest of the movie insulting him.

I was given no reason to care about such self-absorbed people.

The book is much more lighthearted in how it gets all that across. Its seems more like fun ribbing. And the quest comes across as a much more honorable activity than just a motive for greed.

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:47 AM »

The movie played off the dwarves visit to Bilbo as something funny. But if it was my house I would not have been amused.

There was some dialog that rambled on about "honor" but it sounded a lot like "We want our mountain back because it has lots of gold and we'll get some revenge while we're at it" to me.

I did see the movie in the high frame rate 3D. It looked good, although indelikatt and I both had headaches when it was over
SpiderLover

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:29:35 AM »

The movie played off the dwarves visit to Bilbo as something funny. But if it was my house I would not have been amused.

There was some dialog that rambled on about "honor" but it sounded a lot like "We want our mountain back because it has lots of gold and we'll get some revenge while we're at it" to me.

I did see the movie in the high frame rate 3D. It looked good, although indelikatt and I both had headaches when it was over

I would agree with you but the scene where Bilbo wants to go home. He has a conversation with one of dwarves about having a place to belong. That's when it felt that there was more than gold as the motivation.
Navarre
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »

They tried to invoke that reaction in the viewer, yes.

But one of the dwarves also had said to Thorin that he had already led his people to a new land and given them safety and prosperity. So the king taking off to do this wasn't necessary other than "Hey, that was our mountain (and gold) first, and we want it back."

Since they had land then but apparently not the gold, it made them seem even more petty, as the gold was specifically mentioned as being important to them.

Also notice we see the dwarves fleeing their old home some time ago but not this new land where those people now live. I think that prosperity was specifically omitted so we'd feel sympathy for the dwarves.

not impressed
SpiderLover

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »

We're just going to have to disagree. Sure they had a new home but when your home gets taken its different. And by home I'm not talking about a house, we are talking about a kingdom.
Navarre
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »

I sadly saw it much like all the wars humans fight; over land and money. It just didn't feel noble to me.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it. It might be that the next movie in the story will seem better to me and I do at least look forward to seeing it.
Marvel2099
V

Spider-Man is still trying to headbutt Wolerine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »

I finally saw this film and it was a good film but I don't know if the thought of another two long films made me appreciate it asmuch as I would have liked.  I read some reviews from LOTR fans who have read everything and anything to do with Middle-Earth.  The movie ends on chapter 6 of 18 and if The Hobbit is all you read there are bits that wouldn't make sense.  Some of the storylines are from other books or media that run in the same timeline.

In terms of the reasons behind the journey is a bit hit and miss.  Yes the dwarfs want their home back and the gold inside it.  However why didn't the eagles fly them to the mine at the end of the movie (I have never read any of the books).

If I had the powers of Multiple Man, I would send one of the dupes to work, one to revise, one to clean my room and one to walk the dog.  While I would stay at home reading comics.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: