Major Spoilers Forum
September 01, 2014, 08:41:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Have a question for Matthew, Stephen and Rodrigo? Send it to podcast@majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest check for a new PbP game (4th Edition D&D)  (Read 7361 times)
Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »

Take Two!

It's been a while since I tried this, but I've been itching for some DMing. This game is largely undecided except for the system (4E). I'd like some input from all interested members on what to make.

Races:
     1. All the same race (all human, all dwarves, etc.)
     2. Similar grouped races (humanoid(humans, elves, half-elves, etc.) vs. fantastical(dwarves, tieflings, dragonborn, etc.) vs. small(halfling, gnome, pixie, etc.) vs. monstrous(goblins, kobolds, minotaurs, etc.))
     3. Carte Blanche (All races available)

Classes:
     A. All the same class (all fighters, all wizards, etc.)
     B. All the same power source (all martial, all arcane, etc.)
     C. All the same roles (all defenders, all strikers, etc.)
     D. Carte Blanche (all classes available)

Levels:
     £. Level 1
     $. Mid-Heroic Tier (Level 4-6)
     ¥. Paragon Tier (Level 11)

Orientation:
     +. Good (the party is a group dedicated to fighting evil)
     =. Neutral (the party is a group focused on its own agenda and motives)
      -. Evil (the party is a group under the command of an evil overlord)

All interested members get 2 votes to the tally, determined by the order of the options. For example, if you chose 1A$=, then the party could be a group of Human Fighters in charge of their own Guild, using their experience to earn any job with good pay, no matter the consequences. Or, if you chose 3B£+, the party could be a diverse lot of races each with a similar knowledge of the Arcane arts, gathered together as fresh-faced adventurers on a quest to stop a rising darkness.

Each vote will determine the number of tallies that go towards the game's start. It is entirely your prerogative if you cast double votes for the same arrangement.

Any suggestions for map tools and dice systems would be more than welcome.

Looking forward to what this may turn into!!

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »

Hey, I wish I could play but one PbP game and DMing an irl game is enough for me right now.

4E?!? pheh All the cool kids still play 3.5.  Cheesy
Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »

Lol I know how busy you are Navarre, and I envy your skills as a DM. By all accounts, Shadow War was and IS amazing.

4E is what I'm most familiar with, between Critical Hit and reading the PHB numerous times over. I'm not familiar enough with 3.5, but one day! Cheesy

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »

There are a couple of jokes in my starting thread; can you spot them? (There are 2)

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »

No takers? Is the description too vague? Too many options?

Tondi-
Villain
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »

I'd play.  4E is much superior then 3.5.

3D<pound sign>

We you thinking essentials or original or all of it?

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:30:08 AM »

I would prefer all originals, mostly because I have access the the materials. Plus, I don't enjoy the Essentials mechanics.

Don't forget you get another vote, and you can also decide if you want good, neutral, or evil party.

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:46:24 AM »

I guess I should have included some background information for the sake of any interested members. My bad.

(digital cookies for whoever can guess my inspirations for this setting)
Campaign Setting for PbP game

The known world is a massive place, with environments varied and numerous. Grasslands and deserts, sweeping hills and craggy mountain ranges, deep oceans, dark forests and frozen wastelands can be traversed throughout world. The civilizations of the world settled across the land, the sea, and atop colossal, magically empowered creatures. Theses beasts, forged of metal, earth, or coral, were called Eidolons. Each one was the size of a small country, and the civilizations raised whole cities upon their backs. They are regarded as prehistoric constructs, and are unable to be deviated from their eons-old movement patterns.

The Old World: The Old World, as it is called in the texts, and its ancient kingdoms, empires, and republics were once at war with the civilizations of the New World, driven to conflict by the miracles of a new age: technology. It was with the conventions of crossbows, gunpowder, and airships that the New World emerged victorious, but at a terrible cost. Countless nations and Eidolons were destroyed by the War, leaving the Old World littered with numerous ruins and graveyards, and the survivors have struggled ever since.

The New World: In the wake of the War’s end, six Eidolons, colloquially referred to as the Guardians, made up the entirety of the New World. The Guardians are the last of their kind, and the few remaining powers are fiercely protective of them; the punishment for being a threat to the Guardians is to be exiled to the Old World. One of the greatest prizes of the New World and its focus on technology is the creation of the man-made Sky Eidolon, Seraphim the Dragon, home to the theocracy of Nyroth.

The Guardians: The six remaining Eidolons each hold a single, massive city, along with a small number of towns along the creature’s back. The Six are, as follows:
Adamant the Tortoise-Land Eidolon of the Daro Republic (city of Kynach)
Cygnus the Behemoth-Land Eidolon of the Kingdom of Valestia (city of Valestia)
Magnus the Steed-Land Eidolon of the Kingdom of Angea (city of Los Ouros)
Nautilus the Serpent-Sea Eidolon of the Fyral’ean Empire (city of Fyral’ean City)
Aurora the Phoenix-Sky Eidolon of the Hiza Union (city of Rune)
Seraphim the Dragon-Sky Eidolon of the Nyroth Theocracy (city of Seraphim)

The Daro Republic: A government ruled by the many, the Daro Republic is home to a host of many races of the world, and is a paradise for merchants and craftsmen. The ruling body is a Council of elected officials representing the different wards of the city, from the dreary slums of Tula Ward to the ritzy estates of Aien Ward. With the golden rule of “do unto others as you would have done to you”, Kynach enjoys minimal crime and few intercity disputes, but merchant lords still find ways to cause havoc in the otherwise stable society. Kynach is home-base to two of the four major airship manufacturers: Aeronaught Industries and Highwind’s Windracers.

Aeronaught Industries: The leading manufacturer in commercial and public airship transportation, Aeronaught Industries makes some of the largest and sturdiest airships in all of the New World; from frigates such as the infamous Zephyr Tide to the World-renowned luxury cruise-ship Winged Ambition. The company prides itself of good quality for fair prices, and will often work out long-term contracts for their customers. The CEO of the company is a well-spoken and well-mannered Tiefling named Ulla Bann, adoptive daughter of the previous CEO, Leonard Bann. The Aeronaught Industries slogan is “Discover the skies.”

Highwind’s Windracers: In the wake of recovery from the War, a new sport took flight, quite literally, as airships became more available. That sport was windracing, a competitive event where lightweight and aerodynamic airships were pitted against each other in the harshest and most dangerous sky conditions known to civilization. Ralph Highwind, a Half-Elf descendent of legendary Daro Republic Hero Augustus Highwind, is the proprietor of the establishment and a veteran windracer. The airships designed by the Highwind family are amazingly sleek vessels that are surprisingly durable for their intended task, so much so that nearly all other competitors are out of business. Highwind’s Windracers are advertised regularly across all Guardians, and the slogan is often spoken by impressionable younglings, “Race hard, race high! Highwind’s Windracers!”

Kingdom of Valestia: A bastion of military might and nobility, the fantastic kingdom of Valestia is one of the oldest of the civilizations, and it shows in the city of the kingdom’s namesake. Despite the modernization of technology, Valestia maintains an older look, with the castle of Rynvach Keep surrounded by a number of smaller fiefdoms. The ruler of Valestia, King Gregoriah, is a Dwarf King and a veteran of the War. He is gruff and immovable in most interactions, except those concerning his daughter, the adventurous and often trouble-bound Princess Willamina. As a dwarven kingdom, Valestia produces some of the finest metalwork in all the World, be it an unbreakable sword or an impenetrable armor. Humans are also common in Valestia, often serving as intermediaries between Dwarf lords and the King.

Kingdom of Angea: The thrice-sacked Kingdom of Angea has endured more conflict than any others since the War, experiencing revolution after revolution. The most successful one was lead by a human named Nero Ouros the Carnifax. A brutal warlord devoted to the worship of Bane, god of conquest, Nero rallied a large following of zealous vagabonds and orphans, promising them great power in the wake of his victory; and so he did. Pronouncing himself King in the 281st year after the War (hereto referred to as ATW), King Ouros rewarded his followers with positions and allowances taken from the previous leaders. The Berserker King, as he is called, opened his borders to monstrous humanoids, and accepted any into his fold who would acknowledge him and agree to serve the will of the war god.

Fyral’ean Empire: An elven nation ruled by Empress Arei’ilithin, the Fyral’ean Empire is a nation that is isolated by the movements of its ocean-bound Eidolon. Fyral’ean City is interwoven with trees and fresh rivers (a product of the Eidolon’s unknown abilities), and it is common for nature spirits to drift in and out of the peoples’ lives. As such, gifted practitioners of the primal way are common in the city; the Prince Apparent of Fyral’ is said to be able to evoke primal spirits, but thus far the rumors have proven unreliable. Elves, Half-Elves, Halflings and Humans are common here.

Hiza Union: A unified nation-state of Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Eladrin, the Hiza Union is a hub of wealth and knowledge; it is the undisputed home of Arcane education, with the largest library in the World, Weisall. The city of Rune is also home to another airship company, the battle-focused Mythral Wings Inc., the World manufacturer of all the Guardians military vessels. Frigates, cruisers, even massive dreadnoughts, the Mythral Wings are all the meanest, toughest, and most exclusive airships in the World. The rulers of the Union, a Trine composed of each of the three races, are bound to the position for life.

Mythral Wings Incorporated: The largest military contractor airship company, Mythral Wings was founded during the War by a shrewed Eladrin named Tovar Dane. Capitalizing on inovations of metal armor and gunpowder cannons, it was the Mythral Wings warships that won the war for the New World. The most famous of these ships is the half-mile long dreadnought Venerated Honor, which held off a siege from three enemy nations single-handedly at the climax of the War. “For every nation, an airship; for every airship, a Mythral Wing” is their slogan.

Theocracy of Nyroth: Upon the gold and white Eidolon crated by mortal hands, the city of Seraphim is ruled by the power of faith. Every good and neutral god are worshiped by the people of Nyroth, lead by the wise and honorable Father Xander, a Dragonborn claiming to be a direct descendent of Bahamut, the justice god. Rumor has it that Father Xander is in fact a Gold Dragon in disguise, and his purpose in Seraphim is to lead the people into a glorious golden age of enlightenment. The last airship manufacturer is in fact a church-lead organization called Forward Unto the Heavens, and is the force behind Seraphim’s creation. The monetary needs to maintain and repair the massive Eidolon have kept the company from beginning any projects, but current projections state that construction for another Eidolon could begin as early as 291 ATW.

It is soon coming up on the 285th anniversary since the end of the War. The Guardians will be reaching the location known as the Well of Redemption, a massive crater were the Sky, Sea, and Land Eidolons’ paths intersect. It is said that the Well was where the first Eidolon was created, but the by divine or arcane means remains the topic of study for many education institutions. The upcoming meeting of all six civilizations has many people excited and on edge. The party will make its debut a few days prior to this momentous event.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:48:30 AM by Eothr » Logged

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 02:50:59 AM »

^Zephyr Tide and Winged Ambition are supposed to be italicized XP

GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »

It's been a while since I've done anything with 4e (never played more than a few sessions), but I still have access to some of the stuff and enjoyed what I did play. I guess I'll put myself forward as interested.

Vote wise - 3D$£

Alignment wise, I vote for anything but evil. Most people can't handle playing evil characters and end up playing evil caricatures.
Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »

^Agreed, but I just wanted to put all options forward, in case someone wanted to do something very specific.

So the running tally is:
2 (or 4) votes for Carte Blanche to races
2 (or 4) votes for Carte Blanche to classes
2 (or 3) votes to start at first level
1 vote to start at mid-heroic tier

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »

Here's some setting info on races

Common Races
Humans: most numerous, found performing any profession, especially prominent in the Nyroth Theocracy
Half-Elves: located throughout the Daro Republic, the Hiza Union, and the Nyroth Theocracy, most common in the Fyral'ean Empire, rare in the Kingdoms of Angea and Valestia; skilled diplomats, crusaders, and scholars
Dwarves: the ruling race of Vakestia Kingdom, merchant families in the Daro Republic, clergy in the Nyroth Theocracy, uncommon elsewhere; they are often soldiers, priests, and historians
Elves: numerous only in the Fyral'ean Empire, small colonies in the Daro Republic and Hiza Union, scarce to non-existent in other realms; animal tamers, archers, and mystics are their common practices
Halflings: almost exclusive to the Fyral'ean, small merchant families in the Daro Republic and the Kingdom of Valestia, singular individuals in other realms; commonly merchants, pickpockets, and sailors
Dragonborn: scattered throughout with a large concentration in the Hiza Union, allied with the Tieflings; valued as soldiers, crusaders, and mystics
Tieflings: uncommon in all but the Hiza Union, stalwart allies of the Dragonborn; common practices are scholars, pickpockets, and merchants
Eladrin: a race related to Elves who congregate in the Hiza Union, can be seen in the Fyral'ean Empire and Daro Republic, scarce in the Kingdoms of Valestis and Angea, almost despised by the Theocracy of Nyroth; historians, scholars, and diplomats all

Rare Races
Devas: these celestial beings are exclusive to the Theocracy of Nyroth; they are commonly historians, priests, and mystics
Gnomes: there are only a small handful of Gnomes in the Fyral'ean Empire and Hiza Union, they are often servants to Fey masters (Elves & Eladrin); they are rarely other than mystics, musicians, and scholars
Half- Orcs: accepted only by the Berserker King of Angea, any others are mercenaries loyal to the coin; commonly soldiers, cutthroats, and pirates
Goliaths: a single tribe exists in the Kingdom of Valestia, serving the Dwarves as high-mountain scouts and miners; they are often soldiers, guardians, and berserkers
Minotaurs: with a similar situation to the Half-Orcs, but some seek enlightenment in the World; commonly soldiers, crusaders, and guardians
Genasi: these reclusive Elementals are separated by their origins, with no two natures sharing a realm (like the Water Genasi of the Fyral'ean Empire versus the Fire Genasi of the Hiza Union); the are very often mystics, soldiers, and guardians
Kalashitar: a sect of these mysterious people can be found in the Kingdom of Angea, a leftover population from the War; their professions are unknown, but they stand against the Berserker King

Races not found in the New World
These races are not found on any Eidolon, but may be located in the Old World. A PC of any of these races might be a curious visitor or nefarious invader of the Eidolons.
Shifters
Gith(zerai/yanki)
Wilden
Shardmind
Drow
Changeling
Warforged

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

How much time do i need to be able to spend playing in a PBP? I've been interested in trying one but with Work and my son I just don't know if I would be a useful party member.

I'd Vote 3 B or D (I think everything being of the same power source would be pretty fun actually). 1st level start. I don't know how to make the weird E looking thingy.

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »

As much as you are able to; the only stipulation is that I request a 12 hour notice of when to expect delays.

The symbols are English pound for 1st level, American dollar for mid-heroic, Japanese yen for paragon tier

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »

Alright, with 3 interested members, I can now send a request to Rodrigo.

Current players:
Tondi-
GeorgeDubya
Revenant Sorrow

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: