Major Spoilers Forum
July 22, 2014, 12:27:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you follow @majorspoilers on twitter you'll be the first to know when the new Critical Hit podcast goes up on iTunes.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Distractions for the recently single?  (Read 2933 times)
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »

So I have found myself single again.  I need some distractions, and since drinking on my meds would be fatal, I come to my Spoilerite friends in hopes of some suggestions that will take my mind off of it.  Just about anything is welcome, from games to movies, novels and comics and so on.  I just have a few small requests:
No major relationship plots:  I'm not a huge fan of touchy-feely stuff in the first place (and have a really weird definition of romance), but it would probably be best to avoid it in general.
Nothing that will kill my brain cells:  I don't mind something that doesn't take a lot of effort to follow (such as watching Transformers just for the giant robot battles), but please don't suggest something that will make me feel dumber for having watched it (such as "Twilight" or "Idiocracy").  Cheesy B-movies like the stuff from Troma is okay, though.  Use your best judgement.
Nothing that requires significant cost:  If it isn't something I can get via Netflix, find legit free online, rent from the local video rental place or in the case of games requires a full purchase or subscription fee, it probably won't be helpful.  With the exception of books and trades/graphic novels, try to keep it within something I can get in the range of Free - $15.

Other than that, feel free to suggest just about whatever you can think of.  As varied as all of our likes are, I'm sure some of you may know something I have never seen, played or read before.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »

I am very sorry to hear you are single again, Alisha. *hugs*

It is best at times like this to be grateful for the things you have and to do your best to focus on the things that make you happy. So I hope I, and the others here, can help fulfill both needs.

Did you ever watch all the episodes of "Arrow" and "Teen Wolf"? Both are available for free online and both are good. Teen Wolf is especially good, imo.

If you get *really* desperate for entertainment, you could always read the Shadow War play-by-post D&D campaign here on the forum. We just finished it tonight so it's there for the reading.   Wink
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »

SWTOR: Star Wars The Old Republic is now free to play. Romancing your companion is an optional part of the game. With what you have going on a part I would skip.

Halo 4 was awesome but the storyline would be a bit much. Multiplayer is always fun though if you just want to shoot people.

I haven't seen any movies lately so I can't recommend any to you. Other then my personal favorite all time cheesy 80's movie The Last Dragon.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »

@Navarre:  Thank you.

I haven't gotten around to Teen Wolf yet, but I saw a couple episodes of Arrow.  It became available on my On Demand, but a few of the episodes weren't working so I didn't get to follow the full story yet.  I'm mostly just waiting for them to come back up so I can follow the full story so far rather than being a bit lost with only seeing essentially the middle of the story thus far.

I may have to look through the campaign.  It might give me a little inspiration for something I've been toying with for a while.

SWTOR: Star Wars The Old Republic is now free to play. Romancing your companion is an optional part of the game. With what you have going on a part I would skip.
I'm just waiting to see if I have the funds to re-sub for a month to get my free Cartel Coins I've got saved from having subbed and having the Collectors Edition.  I was going to wait for Cathar to become playable (as next to Twi'leks, they have become one of my favorite SW races) but with the recent news of only having until the 20th to claim the saved up Cartel Coins, I may be doing it sooner.

Of course, following the Dark Side path of a Sith would be pretty fun right now (and a good outlet for my anger).  Everyone is surprised I haven't done it already (I'm often called Darth Mischievous among friends).

I haven't seen "The Last Dragon" in years, so that'll definitely be one I'll look for.  I remember it only in the vaguest sense, so it'll be almost new again.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

BRZA21
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »

Hmm - well my response to break-ups is usually to read Bukowski/some other crabby misanthrope, drink bourbon and tell people that love is self-deception, but for some reason that doesn't make me feel better Smiley So instead I would say: re-read some cherished childhood fantasy (Hitchhiker's Guide, The Hobbit, Terry Pratchett?) Or go out dancing. It's hard to feel bad when you are dancing! Well, unless you're wearing uncomfortable shoes I guess.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »

Or go out dancing. It's hard to feel bad when you are dancing! Well, unless you're wearing uncomfortable shoes I guess.

Kinda hard when you're in a wheelchair most of the time.  But it is a pretty awesome wheelchair with Decepticon decals and colors (although it can't transform...  yet.  Give me time, though!). 

I've actually been looking for my Hitchhiker's Guide to re-read (i have the big collected one somewhere).  I just can't recall where I have it at the moment.  I know I didn't trade it in, so it has to be somewhere.

BRZA21
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »

Well that IS a little more difficult :/ Though maybe with some sort of Battle Mech...

Try under the bed - that's where I found my omnibus Guide earlier today (and 57 cents! And some sort of geode?!)
Navarre
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »

Alisha, hi!   Smiley

I hope you're doing okay today. I suspect things can go up or down by the minute but I wanted to say hi and let you know I was thinking of you.

Also, on topic, you said you were looking for distractions so I'll run a suggestion by you.

Now that Shadow War ended as of yesterday I find myself with less to do. I like to create things and I'm looking for a new project; something small and short-term but interesting.

I've had a couple of friends suggest in the past I should write something like a novel. I don't feel that inspired and, honestly, don't think I have that much talent. But maybe a short story or something would be fun.

I'd be open to other collaborations too. Mainly, I'm just bored for myself and sympathetic for you. Plus it's always more fun to create things with friends and, hey, that you are!

Interested?
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »

Might be fun.  At the very least, I'm sure we could bounce a few ideas off each other until something forms.  I have a beta I'm going to be trying for a bit tonight (Transformers Universe's first beta starts tonight, but I'm not expecting to really get into it because we all know first beta days are crowdy, laggy and just plain awful) but I'll email you at some point.

Navarre
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »

Cool-cool. I believe you still have my personal e-mail around somewhere so shoot me some thoughts.

We could even maybe open it up here in the Collaboration section and bounce some ideas around with other members. Either way, looking forward to it!   Smiley
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »

That could work too.  When I used to RP in Star Wars Galaxies, one of the things I loved was most big plot ideas were a group effort, even taking in ideas from people outside our group when they had a good suggestion.  Never know when someone else might have an idea that clinches the other ideas together.

Navarre
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »

If you want, why don't you and I work together privately to come up with a basic premise or at least what we might want the premise to be. Then, if we feel it is something where outside input is both helpful and desired, I can open a thread for it.

I don't have anything in mind right off. But I am burnt out on D&D type fantasy so I am thinking something besides that.

As for format, anything too involved may be more than I would invest in but a short story or short story series could be fun. And, since part of this is for you to be cheerily distracted by the project, I want to make sure you could do much of the writing.

Anyway, I'm mostly busy tonight but will be around some. Drop me an e-mail and let's see what flies.  Cool
Beta Ray Bill Cosby
Administrator
Snorkasaurus

Bill?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »

Ultimate Spider-Man is now on Netflix, you should check it out, it's basically joke-joke-fight scene-joke-action-joke-joke they completely put the MJ/Peter relationship in the backseat for the first handful of episodes too.

AKA: Rodrigo
Navarre
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »

I've been enjoying watching old episodes of Justice League Unlimited on youtube. If you look up the episode list on imdb, it's easy to find any episode by name on youtube.

That animated series had a seriously strong plot without a lot of silliness or romance. Season 4 is especially good.
Rob, no not that one.
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »

I recommend NOT looking under the bed, the last time I tried that I was set upon by a pack of feral dust bunnies and barley escaped with my life (and some Exiles back issues).

If you are in the mood for something a bit more "lean forward" you might enjoy a bit of papercraft. Try paperkraft.net for templates print cut glue hey presto cool model for your bookshelf.

Okay, this looks bad.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: