Major Spoilers Forum
April 24, 2014, 07:12:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Have a question for Matthew, Stephen and Rodrigo? Send it to podcast@majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Catching up on missed movies: Captain America & GI Joe  (Read 2778 times)
herebewonder
Car Insurance Gecko

purveyor of bite-size tales & friend of the people

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »

So, I'm not a big movie type of guy. I don't often go to theaters or even rent movies. So, I've missed a ton of comic and pop culture movies, but I"m trying to fix that lately.

So, this week I watched Captain America and GI Joe - Rise of Cobra.

My advice: Don't ever watch those two movies close to each other. One is an entertaining and detailed re-imagining of a classic pop culture property, and the other is GI Joe.

Captain America turned out to be much better than I expected. Even better than Thor, which I liked a whole lot. I wasn't sure Chris Evans could pull off Steve Rogers but it worked. As did so many of the other casting choices.

GI Joe on the other hand. Man, almost all around disappointment. Storm Shadow was bad-ass, and Zartan was creepy. I liked Breaker, though his part was small. All the other characters were pretty much wasted space though. Even Destro was just kind of...off.

What is interesting in comparing these two movies to me is this: both movies had plenty of little easter eggs and clever references to the source material that casual viewers might not get, but fans would. In Captain America, these made the story feel deeper and richer. In GI Joe, they stood out like a sore thumb. Might as well have flashed a message on the screen to alert the viewer to the references.

As it stands, Captain America is a movie that may wind up in my DVD collection. GI Joe will wind up in the trash.

-c
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »

Cap WAS a great flick.

But I didn't find GI Joe all that bad. As long as you went into knowing it was a movie based on a children's toy and it didn't have much to live up to it was (kind of) watchable Smiley

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »

Just because the source material was a toy or a cartoon doesn't mean they couldn't have made a good GI Joe movie. That movie was terrible.

If you want a mindless film it qualifies but Marvel showed you could make a film both fun and of good quality. There's no excuse for how GI Joe turned out.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »

Just because the source material was a toy or a cartoon doesn't mean they couldn't have made a good GI Joe movie. That movie was terrible.

If you want a mindless film it qualifies but Marvel showed you could make a film both fun and of good quality. There's no excuse for how GI Joe turned out.

I think its does. Transformers, Battleship, GI Joe...are there any more movies based on toys? The trends show it is impossible to make a good movie based off a toy Smiley

Navarre
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »

Man, I hope they never make a ROM: SpaceKnight film. I love that character!
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »

Ah. He-Man (with Dolph Lungren).

Not helping the case Wink

herebewonder
Car Insurance Gecko

purveyor of bite-size tales & friend of the people

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »

What I wonder is why Cap worked and GI Joe didn't when both have this rich history of comics\cartoons to draw on.

In the right hands, GI Joe should have worked. But just didn't.

It just bugs me because of all the pop culture properties out there, GI Joe is my favorite. The movie should have been the live movie I always wanted when I was a kid. Instead it was...poop.

When a Wayans brother gives one of the best performances in your movie, you have issues.

-c
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

I've read a bunch of Cap, a bit of GI. Joe (the newer stuff is better than the older stuff IMO) and have seen every episode of the GI Joe cartoon, and the source material for Cap is just so much stronger than anything GI Joe could offer.

And Cap had people who worked on the comics working on the movie, making it more related to the source. While GI JOE had big battle suits...I don't recall seeing those in a comic or in the series.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »

But I didn't find GI Joe all that bad. As long as you went into knowing it was a movie based on a children's toy and it didn't have much to live up to it was (kind of) watchable Smiley

But as you've already said, it isn't just a toy.  They've got a semi-established storyline for it that, for the most part, hasn't changed all that much through various incarnations.  I think the movie did a half and half job with some of the stuff living up to the established stories, but other stuff just felt completely wrecked.  Overall, though, I don't hate the movie nearly as bad as I hate the Transformers movies (although as I've stated before, I still love the giant robot scenes because, hey, it's giant freakin' robots!). 

As a fan of both GI Joe and Transformers, I think that they could really make some top quality movies with the franchises if they just tapped the right folks.  There is enough story floating around from all the various sources that it just boggles my mind that they aren't utilizing it to the full potential.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »

But as you've already said, it isn't just a toy.  They've got a semi-established storyline for it that, for the most part, hasn't changed all that much through various incarnations.  I think the movie did a half and half job with some of the stuff living up to the established stories, but other stuff just felt completely wrecked.  Overall, though, I don't hate the movie nearly as bad as I hate the Transformers movies (although as I've stated before, I still love the giant robot scenes because, hey, it's giant freakin' robots!). 

As a fan of both GI Joe and Transformers, I think that they could really make some top quality movies with the franchises if they just tapped the right folks.  There is enough story floating around from all the various sources that it just boggles my mind that they aren't utilizing it to the full potential.

Agreed. But it IS most well-known as being a toy.

And I'm not saying that they CAN'T make a good movie based on a toy. I'm saying the trends show that they can't.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »

And I'm not saying that they CAN'T make a good movie based on a toy. I'm saying the trends show that they can't.

True, but trends also showed not all that long ago that they couldn't make a good comic book or video game movie, either.  I'm just hoping that in the near future, that some of these properties will get the same sort of effort put into them that some of the more recent comic book and video game movies that did well have had. 

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »

True, but trends also showed not all that long ago that they couldn't make a good comic book or video game movie, either.  I'm just hoping that in the near future, that some of these properties will get the same sort of effort put into them that some of the more recent comic book and video game movies that did well have had. 

Superman was 30 years ago and a huge success. That's pretty long ago. True, that the hero flick has had its share of crap since, and prior tot he last decade or so (I think since Spidey 1, maybe?) its been more success than failure.

Have they made a really good video game movie? RE will be the one that comes up, I'm sure, but I could use the same argument for hero flicks and say Super Mario Bros. in '86 was as good a showing as the RE franchise.

The problem I have with the whole thing is there shouldn't be this debate. We all agree there is no debate that super-hero movies have been, for the most part, have been good, while the toy/video game flicks have been, at last comparably, not very good. At least not as good as they should be, damn it Smiley

I will say that I watched GI Joe with my 6 year old and he loved it, so that was good. He also wanted to buy the toys so...that sort of worked Smiley

Having been able to watch  all the Marvel movies several times over, I think I may like Captain America just a bit more than the Avengers. Its splitting hairs, really; they are both great.

CatHalo
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »

I just watched GI Joe: Rise Of Cobra. This is a bad movie, and is slightly fun. It should probably be called GI Trope, because they are all here. At one point he turns up to the funeral of his best friend...in a leather jacket...on a motor bike...in the rain...wearing shades! Brilliant. And the dialogue throughout is dodgy as all hell too. Their tongues must have been firmly place in their cheeks as they were writing and executing this movie.
The action is about what you would expect from a Stephen Sommers movie. It's like a cheap live action cartoon, with SFX that were probably out-dated by the time it actually got released.
The whole thing comes off like an expensive Star Wars Prequel rip-off.
But it is now on my Guilty Pleasure List Smiley

CatHaloMovies on FaceBook, @CatHaloMovies twitter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: