Major Spoilers Forum
August 19, 2014, 11:51:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you follow @majorspoilers on twitter you'll be the first to know when the new Critical Hit podcast goes up on iTunes.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Series you once loved but lost interest in before they ended  (Read 2465 times)
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »

I was telling Navarre earlier about a very strange event that happened in "Supernatural" recently, and he once again stated how it was once one of his favorite shows yet newer episodes no longer interest him as much.  This is something I agree with, although I do watch it a little from time to time (and my favorite episode, "The French Mistake", was from Season 6 and about the same time I started to pay less attention).

I got to thinking about other series I've liked that either stopped being interesting or completely alienated me after a point, and I know there must be at least one series like that for everyone. 

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few that I used to like at one point.

Supernatural:  I still love the first 5 seasons and a few episodes past that, but the rest of it has sort of lost my interest.  A lot of it comes across a bit forced, like they are changing character's personalities just so they can write stories rather than changing them because of events in the stories.  Dean went to Purgatory and Sam...  took the year off?  What? 
Being Human (UK):  After the exit of the three main characters that the series started with, I've had a tough time following it.  I had the same reaction to X-Files when Mulder and Scully were no longer main characters.
That 70's Show:  The final season barely held my interest without Topher Grace as Eric Foreman.  The new guy just didn't seem that interesting to me (although I kinda liked Hyde's stripper wife).
The Simpsons:  To be honest, I'm not entirely sick of The Simpsons.  I am, however, a bit tired of repeated storylines.  Recent seasons give a couple of funny new episodes, but the bulk seems to be slight re-writings of previous stories with only a few minor details changed. 
Sliders:  I used to love that show when it was on FOX, but when Sci-Fi Channel bought the rights and made new episodes, I did not like the direction the storyline took.  It was fun when it was a show about a group who were travelling from parallel timeline to parallel timeline because one of the group invented the device.  Sci-Fi Channel changed it in to something almost entirely different that I just couldn't seem to enjoy.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »

yeah...

Supernatural

I hate to say that Supernatural tops that list but it does. It used to be my favorite show, hands down. I loved it.

But I agree with everything you've said about it. After the apocalypse involving Ruby I felt they'd told their stories. Now the stories are just something to do.

Battlestar: Galactica

I didn't have any problem with the series. It was very good. The problem was me.

By the time I was working through Season 3 I was so emotionally drained by the plight of these hapless souls I simply couldn't go on. I just gave up, wishing them well.

Any show by Joss Whedon

Oh, wait. That wasn't me. That was FOX.  Roll Eyes
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »

I'll second Supernatural. I can still watch it but every episode felt like the one before it.

I gave up on BS:G too, but only because I didn't make the time for it. I should go back and check those out...

Any show by Joss Whedon

Oh, wait. That wasn't me. That was FOX.  Roll Eyes

I have a issue with this. Smiley Surely, you are joking, but I'll comment anyways Wink

Networks don't cancel successful shows. If people were watching that shit when it was on we may have gotten another season of Firefly or Dollhouse.

This beef isn't quite in the scope of the thread, but I don't care. Smiley

All of these fans (especially the Firefly ones) blame FOX and network execs for their "favorite show" being cancelled. The only problem with that is, most of these "fans" weren't fans until after the show was shitcanned. What they should be doing is putting the blame on themselves for not watching the f^$%king show when it premiered, and stop blaming tv network executives for doing their jobs.

Extremes are always wrong.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »

I gave up on BS:G too, but only because I didn't make the time for it. I should go back and check those out...

For me it was simply a matter of not having cable when it started and just never having the opportunity to catch up once I did.  I keep planning to get the DVDs, but I often don't even have the cash to rent them even if the video store offered them.  On the other hand, I did manage to catch most of the prequel series when it aired, which I thought wouldn't hurt to see since it does take place before BS:G.

I'll get around to it eventually.   I hope.

Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »

For me it was simply a matter of not having cable when it started and just never having the opportunity to catch up once I did.  I keep planning to get the DVDs, but I often don't even have the cash to rent them even if the video store offered them.  On the other hand, I did manage to catch most of the prequel series when it aired, which I thought wouldn't hurt to see since it does take place before BS:G.

I'll get around to it eventually.   I hope.

Netflix trial month?

I am seriously thinking about getting (another) free trial in the middle of December just for shits and giggles.

Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »

There was a Boston something show that I watched for a bit...but I don't recall if it was cancelled.

Its hard to remember shows that lost steam for me like this. I usually hang on to the bitter end.  Embarrassed

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »

Netflix trial month?

Waiting on getting my console for that.  Should be really soon now.

Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »

Netflix trial month?

Waiting on getting my console for that.  Should be really soon now.

Sweet!!

I stopped watching Eureka because I dropped netflix. That doesn't really qualify for the thread though...Smiley

Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »

X-Files- Once they turned the cigarette smoking man into an alien hybrid and completed they "Quest" there was little else to do after that sustained story.  After that it dwindled and once neither Muldar or Scully were on, it was "like" what's the point?

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »

X-Files- Once they turned the cigarette smoking man into an alien hybrid and completed they "Quest" there was little else to do after that sustained story.  After that it dwindled and once neither Muldar or Scully were on, it was "like" what's the point?

I felt this same exact way!

But, I held on to the bitter end anyways.  Embarrassed

Tegernak├┤
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 01:49:28 PM »

Supernatural
I still occasionally check out a new episode but it doesn't feel that awesome anymore
Fringe
LOVED season 1 and 2 but then just stopped watching, it started to get really boring.
Criminal Minds
I managed to watch this one actively for 6 seasons but after that 6th season I had had enough violence for twenty lifetimes.
NCIS
It just became too patriotic, too "america is the best and the rest suuuuucks" for me, i am from the Netherlands after all, to enjoy. So I stopped watching.
Roycole
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »

IT crowd:
not so much fun later... only first episodes were good

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: