Major Spoilers Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The newest podcast in the Major Spoilers family is "Munchkin Land!"

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are the Kents dead?  (Read 2982 times)
Trey
Egg

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »

While I do not like it, I can understand why they removed some of the redundant characters with simular powers from DCU.  But why did they remove the Kents?  Removing them takes out character interaction that made Superman feel less alien.  When Clark had a personal problem he would likely go visit his foster parents and talk it out.  Just seems like removing them from the DCU removed some good Story Elements.
Navarre
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »

I haven't read it. Maybe they wanted to give Clark more angst and grief, similar to Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker.

But I agree that it seems to be changing an element that separated him from those others. Can't some heroes have good parents? heh
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »

It could also be said that the Kents were a crutch for Clark as he moved forward into becoming Superman; an easy way for writers to establish a human aspect in the alien.

Without that crutch it makes it a much tougher road that Clark has to travel.

The fact is, Superman IS an alien. The route DC is taking with him seems to be one that forces Clark to deal with his position as outsider and savior in a completely new way. And I'm cool with that.

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »

But that would be like saying your wife and children are a crutch holding you back from moving forward as Gaumer. While it is true that choices have to be made aroudn them and they can limit those choices, I'm sure they also give you a solid grounding and purpose in life.

I agree that Clark could move forward without his parents but we don't see too many solid parent/child relationships in comics. I think Superman illustrated that relationship and that is a good thing.

But in the end I suppose it is going to be whatever the writers say it will be. Either way, there is plenty for Clark to learn.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »

But that would be like saying your wife and children are a crutch holding you back from moving forward as Gaumer.

They are. But we haven't had a chance to see my story told with them in it to utter annoyance for the past 50+ years.

We all know Clark can make for a good Superman with the help of his adoptive Earth parents. But we haven't seen how that journey unfolds with them out of the picture. Until now.

Navarre
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:56:25 PM »

Yeah, and I think that's fine. I don't know why the writers decided to do what they did but I don't disapprove (or approve) of it.

I simply see it as a different telling of the story, albeit without known motivation for that telling.
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »

Keep in mind that it is also not the first time the Kents have been dead, through multiple media.
Glenn Ford dying in the movie.
 They died in the Golden Age, Not sure about silver (Matthew?) and Pa died briefly after the 86 reboot.  Then Pa Kent Bo Duke died on Smallville while Lana Lang Ma left for the Senate pretty much abandoning her 19 y/o son to take care of the farm and family business.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »

I simply see it as a different telling of the story, albeit without known motivation for that telling.

A different telling is the exact reason why it should be done this way. Its got to be tough to keep a character like Superman fresh.

Keep in mind that it is also not the first time the Kents have been dead, through multiple media.
Glenn Ford dying in the movie.
 They died in the Golden Age, Not sure about silver (Matthew?) and Pa died briefly after the 86 reboot.  Then Pa Kent Bo Duke died on Smallville while Lana Lang Ma left for the Senate pretty much abandoning her 19 y/o son to take care of the farm and family business.

But we went through most of that with the character, sharing those moments with him. That is not the case in the new 52 revamp.
Which suggests the reasons for doing such were because the other options were stale.

Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »

I haven't been reading new 52 superman much, didn't know they were dead. Well, I see the point about a strong child-parent relationship, but if it makes for new good stories, I'll be happy to see what they can do with this angle.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

Its really less of an angle being used and more of an angle not being used.

I've gotten both Superman and Action since the relaunch and I have to say it has not been that interesting.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

Maybe they are trying to merge a bit of the past stories and the stories of other media in the new reality.  I see the current "main" DCU as more than just an altered "New Earth" timeline, but a similar amalgam of timelines as they were implying after the old Crisis on Infinite Earths story, and rather than revisit too much old ground they want to tell new stories in this new timeline.  

I actually see a LOT of potential without the Kents around.  Superman has to look deep in himself and to others to find his moral compass in trying times rather than falling back to Ma and Pa to keep him in line.  

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Trey
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »

The alienation of Kal-el is already wearing thin on me though.  I liked that he had a family he could visit when he needed to talk to someone normal.  He can't get that from Bruce or Diana although it would be nice if he did go talk to his friends some. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: