Major Spoilers Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:17:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A big announcement is coming soon! Visit Major Spoilers often to stay in the loop!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Heroes of Olympus (Sequel series to Percy Jackson & The Olympians)  (Read 7948 times)
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »

I just got book three of the Heroes of Olympus series (the sequel series to Percy Jackson and the Olympians), The Mark of Athena, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

The series are essentially for young adults, but much like Harry Potter, they are actually not too bad for an adult to read either.  If you've never read any (or have only seen the movie, which wasn't exactly a great adaptation), the original series revolved around children of the Greek Gods in present day.  The current series expands on that by introducing children of the Roman Gods, which in the series are actually different aspects of the same being yet very different (for instance, a child of Hades has power over dead things, but a child of Pluto may have power over riches and gems under the earth instead).

As a fan of mythology (I'm fascinated with how people believed in things before), I am really enjoying the ideas in both series (and finding myself wishing I had a pet Hellhound or that I could run off and join the modern day Amazons  Cheesy ).  A lot of monsters and ideas from old mythology stories are used, and in the new series many things are almost new as they explore the Roman aspects of things (such as the difference between a Satyr and a Faun).

Has anyone else read either of these series?

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »

Never read the series but I remember seeing a bit of the movie but not being to into it, though I do love mythology. How much better is the book than the movie? Just curious if I should add it to the reading list.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »

I find the books a great deal more interesting than the movie, but that is true for me in most cases.  They got a few elements right in the movie, but in general they are two very different stories with a couple of names and character aspects the same.  It is probably similar to comparing Adam West's Batman to the more recent Nolan movies or even the current comics.

I would definitely suggest snagging the first book somehow (Walmart has the first series in paperback below cover price) and seeing if you like it.  I'll admit I was a little unsure if I even wanted to read it when I got the first book, but I really enjoyed it.  The series gets even better as it goes on, adding new twists and further touching on various aspects of mythology (although the first series mostly sticks to Greek). 

Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »

Well, if the comparison between film and the book is Adam West to Nolan movies, I think I'll try the first book out. Thanks! Smiley
Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »

I've read both series and I love them both!

Of course, I like Percy more than Jason, given the predisposition of the 5 books before The Lost Hero. The supporting characters are all incredible; they all have relatable and recognizable faults, and yet they continue to rise above and beyond the abilities of mortal men.

Funnily enough, I'm not a Percabeth fan; rather, I enjoy perusing FanFictions that explore the other options in the PJOverse (although a LOT of them leave something to be desired)

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:51:56 AM »

Cool. Well, with that kind of endorsement, it will definitely go on my list of books to read.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:31 AM »

I've read both series and I love them both!

Of course, I like Percy more than Jason, given the predisposition of the 5 books before The Lost Hero. The supporting characters are all incredible; they all have relatable and recognizable faults, and yet they continue to rise above and beyond the abilities of mortal men.

Funnily enough, I'm not a Percabeth fan; rather, I enjoy perusing FanFictions that explore the other options in the PJOverse (although a LOT of them leave something to be desired)

Sorry for late reply, only just saw this post!

I do tend to like the Greek demigod characters over the Roman for the most part, including the newer additions like Piper and Leo.  But I do have a bit of a soft spot for Hazel and Frank (as characters, not a couple).

I'm not a huge fan of the romantic aspects myself, at least not in terms of thinking "Oh, these two should be together", but that could be because I'm old enough to recall my teenage romances and how they ended (most with no salvageable friendship for a long time, if at all).  The only coupling I really got excited for was Tyson and Ella.

Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »

Lol, Tyson/Ella is cute

On the fanfiction side, there is a strong (but annoyingly repetitive) following for Percy/Artemis stories. They are aggravatingly similar, even down to the plot lines.

My recent favorite is Percy/Reyna, because I think Reyna is a character that deserves more attention.

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »

My recent favorite is Percy/Reyna, because I think Reyna is a character that deserves more attention.

I'm expecting her to get some focus before the current series concludes.  I just feel the way she's been built up a bit has been prep for part of the story to deal with her story and how she deals with the Roman/Greek situation as well as the crisis they both face.  I'll be seriously disappointed if they don't have focus on her for at least part of one of the novels (possibly split telling half from Greek demigod perspective, half from Roman).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: