Major Spoilers Forum
July 22, 2014, 06:04:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Now you can make a recurring donation to Major Spoilers. Look for the button on the right-hand column of www.majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Dresden, Wizard  (Read 5202 times)
GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

First off, due to the day I'm posting this, I feel obligated to say "Happy Birthday Harry Dresden!"

Ok, that finished, I just finished reading the newly released sample chapter for the upcoming book Cold Days and wondered if anyone else here has read these marvelous books.

If so, let's get some Dresden love going on here folks. Thoughts on the sample chapter? Favorite book or specific scene? Favorite character? Etc.
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »

After finding the show on Netflix none too long ago I have only read the first and part of the second book. But from the show my fave was the werewolf chick. I'm reading 5 different series right now and Dresden has dropped some from the list in lieu of things like Wild Cards (which is also excellent btw). Hopefully I can finish that one and read some more about Harry's adventures.
GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »

I wholly accept that you've put off Dresden for Wild Cards, because Wild Cards is also amazing. I have several of the early books and a couple of the new ones, but the ones in the middle are ridiculously hard to find (I actually had a conversation with George R.R. Martin at a convention a few years back, and he said they were almost impossible to find nowadays). Enjoy the books you can find of them.

As far as Dresden goes. I think they did a great job with Harry himself in the show, but the majority of the rest was blah in comparison to the books.
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »

I thought the guy that they got to play Harry was great and the other really good one was Bob imo.
GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:33:36 AM »

Yeah, I understood the reason they wanted an actual person to represent Bob, but they also changed up his personality and backstory. While the character in the TV show was interesting, I missed the little pervert of an air spirit he was in the books.
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »

Since I drive pizza I'm prolly gonna do the audio books due to the lack of free time. I heard that they were done well.
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »

So, I'm into book 3 and it is awesome. Can't wait to get through more of it. Also, James is a great narrator.
GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »

It just gets better and better as you get through the books. A warning though, Ghost Story has a different narrator (James couldn't fit it in his schedule), but the newest book has him back on board.
Tr1pp1n_coyot3
Egg

New to comics, love the site and podcasts!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:56:10 AM »

I love the Dresden books.  They are very hard to put down until you have finished the entire book.

Has anybody checked out the comics being done for each book?  I am interested to see how they turned out, but haven't stumbled across them yet.

There is also an RPG put out by Evil Hat Productions.  http://www.evilhat.com/home/dresden-files-rpg/  My gaming group is going to play using the world but set in our hometown. Our GM has us scouring local legends & folklore for any paranormal flair that we can add to our game.  I can't wait to play!

(Not my image.  Pulled from google images.)

fortes fortuna iuvat
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »

Found some of the Dresden Files comics. Picked up "Welcome to the Jungle" which is comic exclusive. I hope it's good.
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »

Almost done with book seven. Have to say this is one of my favorite series now. Welcome to the Jungle was fairly good, and Ghoul Goblin just came out this week. Thus far, Summer Knight is my favorite of the books. Looking forward to be all caught up soon.
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »

Just finished the latest book, Cold Days, and was it fantastic. Loved the entire series. Also, "Holy Crap" and the Gatekeeper. Now I'll be jones-ing for the next book.
Glowingplum
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »

(Not my image.  Pulled from google images.)

That really is the novels. And when it's not like that, it's just trying to get there again.

And may I say holy crap. Holy crap. If Rodrigo were going for the TPK every episode of Critical  Hit, and only Deus ex machina'ed them out of it every other episode (anyone else think that parasite was going to be for a boss?) he would still be nicer to our five adventures than Jim Butcher is to Harry. I wanna hear an episode on it from the spoiler side!
Hirimno
V

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 02:12:43 AM »

So I saw that the new book is going to be called Skin Game. Wonder if the Nagloshi(sp?) or Tara will be back.
GeorgeDubya
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »

1. I just finished listening to the Cold Days audiobook again yesterday. It was my way of celebrating Harry's b-day.

2. I'm pretty sure it is time in the cycle of novels for another appearance of Nicodemus and company.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: