Major Spoilers Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:54:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you follow @majorspoilers on twitter you'll be the first to know when the new Critical Hit podcast goes up on iTunes.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunger Games  (Read 2395 times)
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »

I actually watched the movie first because I didn't really have an interest in reading the book. However after watching the movie I felt the main character very hard sympathize with because the lack of content that they give you until you're 3/4 of the way through the movie. I felt the scene of her fathers death was ill placed in the movie. The lack of inner monolog for her was another issue. I watched the movie and could feel that there was stuff missing that had been removed due to time or lack of importance. Either way I finished the movie and felt the need to read the book because of the huge disconnects I felt that would jar me out of the movie. I actually am finding the book a much better read than the movie adaptation. I understand they can't put everything in the movie that was in the book, but the book has a better placement for scenes that were either removed from or placed differently in the movie.

I really recommend the book it's kind of a cool tale of what some day could happen to society. The movie I don't recommend unless you have read the book because of the parts that are in poor context in the movie.

Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »

Hunger Games is sci-fi. But compared to other sci-fi novels it is a watered down "kiddie-ride" of science fiction. It only brushes by traditional sci-fi pretenses like survival, utopian/dystopian theories, and authoritarian control vs. individualism. But the book DOES act as a primer for this amazing genre of books, and, with a strong, young female in the main role it can only do more to bring down social barriers.

Actual quote: “Interviewer: So why do you write these strong female characters?

Joss Whedon: Because you’re still asking me that question.”

But commenting on the importance of the success of works like this, is off topic. Sorry.

Being the shallow side of the sci-fi pool in novel form, I was not surprised at all with the treatment of the movie. Hollywood has so much trouble adapting sci-fi in a way that truly captures the feeling and message of the source because they want it to be popular to a majority, while HG, the novel, itself tried to send traditional sci-fi ideas in such a rudimentary way because it wanted to appeal to a mass majority Smiley

It was destined to be lacking.

Extremes are always wrong.
Raistlin Majere
Rootwalla

AKA Fistandantilus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »

You both summed up my feelings on the movie/book Wink

For the Horde!
Excelsior!
um..
Allons-y?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »

Anyone finish the book series? IMO this would have been better as a 4 book series. The 3rd book just feels so rushed to a climax compaired to the previous books.

Glowingplum
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »

Phew... Let's start with one thing.

IT WAS A TWO AND A HALF HOUR MOVIE. TWO AND A HALF HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, it needed to be said. The books had problems that were largely accountable to pacing. I found it a perfectly acceptable sci-fi/psychological trio of novels. But I listened at work and tend to older, simplier novels.

IT WAS A TWO AND A HALF HOUR MOVIE!!!!! THERE WERE SCENES OF KIDS MURDERING EACH OTHER!!!!

Not that I would mind, but I did not expect it in a pg13 movie. The other thing is Matthew can put more emotion into his acting than half the cast, even if that doesn't mean as much as it should.

So in making a slower more incomprehensible  movie, I agree with the original poster. I'm left with a question by this movie. One I'm often asking myself as end credits roll nowadays. Why?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: