Major Spoilers Forum
August 21, 2014, 04:59:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The newest podcast in the Major Spoilers family is "Munchkin Land!"

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel NOW!  (Read 5326 times)
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »

From what I have read about the book (I have not actually read the book) its more like a "superhero team-up" style book, where different Avengers team up for a bit. I guess it COULD be in canon or whatever, but I'm not sure that that really matters.

And Mark Waid is going to be writing the new Indestructible Hulk, although PAD had a decade long run on Incredible back in the day, I haven't heard that he is doing anything new over there. All I have heard about the book is that Hulk will be working for SHIELD, which kind of works with AvX if I needed it to, but with Waid on it I'm not worried.

On Superior Spider-Man I haven't heard anything about it NOT being Peter. It might be cool for them to do that whole "OMG, turns out this ain't Peter" thing, but *yawn*...what was I talking about Wink

Extremes are always wrong.
Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »

At NYC Comic Con [http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/14/nycc-the-amazing-spider-man-panel-recap], Dan Slott said:

“It’s an all-new Spider-Man – it ain’t Peter Parker,” said Singh [moderator for panel], who added that Stegman’s [Superior] Spider-Man is much darker than what we’ve seen. Slott stressed that doesn’t mean it’s “grim and gritty,” just “dark and weird.”

“We’re not saying Peter is dead or retired,” added Slott. “Maybe he’s still in the book!”

Yeah, loved Waid's Hulk back in the day, but haven't read his Daredevil. But looking to see what he does with the Hulk.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »

Hmmm, thanks, I'm not sure how I missed something so blatant.

I may NOT be getting this book if Spider-Man isn't the main character in the book titled "Spider-Man". But that's a hang-up I have to deal with: I prefer the title character actually star in the book I'm reading Wink

greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »

Is Ben Reilly still alive? Could it be him?

Yes on all the mentions of event fatigue, and it's kept me from sweeping up more backissues off of Comixology. Thought about picking up all the issues that dealt with Utopia, but I should probably read Civil War before that, but first I need to read House of M, and I need to know what happened to Norman Osborn after Civil War to get him installed in place of Tony Stark...

I was just trying to read backissues of Avengers Initiative and I wound up giving up because it was so tied in with Norman Osborn and HAMMER, where I had no backstory or information, I felt like I was lost.

Anyway, I'm all for a clearing of the slate, but I hope they'll also be better about their digital pricing. Aside from the odd sale, Marvel has been pretty frequently getting undersold by the competition.
Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 04:41:16 AM »

After a quick check of wikipedia (to the wiki!), I have to say...it isn't clear if Reilly is alive...but that could be because I am tired and it's late.

So, people it might be...well, I guess it could be Kaine, Ben Reilly, Spiderman 2099, or maybe the 616 Miles Morales (Peter did a search on him and apparently found something in his universe).

so basically, I have no idea Smiley
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 09:58:23 AM »

Anyway, I'm all for a clearing of the slate, but I hope they'll also be better about their digital pricing. Aside from the odd sale, Marvel has been pretty frequently getting undersold by the competition.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-09.html

You mean besides the events.

Its so backwards to me: People claim they are leaving Marvel because of event fatigue, yet their only top 10 book last month was a freaking event title!

Navarre
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

If there are people who left Marvel because of events, then the remaining people buying Marvel would be the ones who aren't bothered by that. So the top sellers for Marvel could include events.

I would think you would have to look at whether Marvel's sales have dropped overall in the last few years. But that is a difficult comparison because there are many other reasons sales may have dropped.

I know for myself I have been out of comics for some time and immediately looked at Marvel again because I grew up with them. But I also felt uncertain because of the inevitable events.

So, falling into the Marvel Now fold, I bought Uncanny Avengers #1 and will buy Captain America #1. I am going to enjoy them for as long as I can.

But as soon as they start requiring me to buy more titles to get a complete story I will have to decide to either buy only the ones I already did and get an incomplete story or just quit all of Marvel once again.

In the meantime, I have been very intrigued by titles from other publishes; titles such as Irredeemable and Morning Glories. I don't have any reservations about buying those save for the financial investment in catching up on them.

But better to invest in one title I do want to read than six titles I don't.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/237?articleID=126350

DC also had market share for that month; on the back of a Batman event, some vampire event thingy, The Culling event, a lead up to a GL event that, a Superman event and, oh, another Batman event. All crossing over into multiple books.

I just don't get it Smiley

Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 03:41:38 AM »

Yeah, a well-written meaningful event is great (thinking the Sinestro Corps War when it first came out), but I think publishers see the uptick and even if with the best of intentions you simply can't make every month or so an event because then none of them feel like events since they are so frequent.

Because of MSP, I have found the smaller publishers to keep me interested longer...such as Invincible, etc. However, I guess that might be because even though Invincible may be mangling or killing people off in an event style regularly because the characters and world aren't overly connected to anything else then each event can actually "change the hero's life forever" as opposed to Marvel or DC where they will never permanently kill someone or screw-up certain things about their universe.

Just my 2.5 cents
greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/237?articleID=126350

DC also had market share for that month; on the back of a Batman event, some vampire event thingy, The Culling event, a lead up to a GL event that, a Superman event and, oh, another Batman event. All crossing over into multiple books.

I just don't get it Smiley

With you on that. I've been deliberately staying away from the bat-titles due to all of the bat crossovers. And the only new DC crossover I've been following has been Rotworld, because I read both of the books it's happening in anyway (Swamp Thing and Animal Man).

As far as the Sinestro Corps. thing, it worked because it was contained. But you don't have to have a huge event that touches on every book to have a huge, sweeping story. How many books did Annihilation cross over into? Honestly don't know. But I don't think it was many, since the number of books in the collection was pretty small.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »

Yup.

I'm still getting Batman proper, but I'm thinking of dropping Detective; I'm a few issues behind; but I'm not buying anymore Bat-books to follow the current event.

Although, I am getting all the GL books for the 3rd Army event, even though I only buy Green Lantern proper regularly.

Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »

(Pulling currently)
Aquaman
Batman
Battlefields
Chew
Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice League Dark
Morning Glories
Saga
Skullkickers
Talon
The Flash
The Manhattan Projects
Wolverine & The X-Men
X-Factor

(Dropping w/ the reboot)
The Amazing Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Force
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine

(Picking up w/ the reboot)
Avengers
Cable & X-Force
Indes. Hulk
New Avengers
Uncanny X-Men

But I so want more. I still need to make room for the Constantine book coming to the New 52, but are there any Marvel NOW! books I should be getting in your opinion(s)? I want to pick up Uncanny X-Force and the Superior Spidey and the savage Wolvie, but I just don't think I'm going to be able to pull it off. Sad

Patrick
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »

I personally like GL and Aquaman. Like the Jeff Lemire work. Also, liking Earth 2, just to see where it goes.

Never read Chew but might try it out. Any recommendations other than starting with issue #1?
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »

I personally like GL and Aquaman. Like the Jeff Lemire work. Also, liking Earth 2, just to see where it goes.

Never read Chew but might try it out. Any recommendations other than starting with issue #1?

For Chew? No, not really. Its worth reading from the beginning.

I picked it up on a whim one Wednesday and so glad I did. Ish #1 goes for pretty penny Smiley

http://www.amazon.com/Chew-Comic-Image-comics-Volume/dp/B002KEUSD8

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: