Major Spoilers Forum
August 22, 2014, 12:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you follow @majorspoilers on twitter you'll be the first to know when the new Critical Hit podcast goes up on iTunes.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the new 52 so humorless?  (Read 5856 times)
Kirby Krackle
Rootwalla

Love, friendship and nerdity.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:19:04 AM »

Well, why? Fifty two titles and not a one with an actual sense of humor. Sure there's the odd Flash quip in JL but everythings so serious. There's a serious stick up the new 52s ass and it need an Elongated man or a Wally West to cheer it up. Heck I would kill Ma Kent for a Kyle Baker one shot.
You used to get series that had a similar tone to Invincible, it's humanity allowing for that seriousness and humor to balance effortlessly, where is that? 

Searching for indie gems.
Rob, no not that one.
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »

I think that after decades of comics being "for kids" and then fairly recently gaining a degree of credibility most writers, not just the ones working for DC, seem reluctant to do stories that might be seen as silly or juvenile so grumpy men in tights is what you get. 

Okay, this looks bad.
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »

As I have been reading the comics, I do not recall seeing any ads for Strawberry Shortcake Bars, King Cones or Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches.  Without any Good Humor, I would blame the marketing department.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
CatHalo
Sleestak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:09:54 AM »

Kid Flash is proper funny, and brings a light touch to the Teen Titans title. But that is about it though. But aside from that, there is not as much humor in the New 52 as there used to be. Thing is though, humor in comics (like in wrestling) can be VERY hit and miss. As often as not, it fails and takes the book down with it.

CatHaloMovies on FaceBook, @CatHaloMovies twitter.
greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:41:51 AM »

You know, there are a good deal of readers coming up who don't know anything about humor in comics the way some of us do. Just had a conversation the other day with a guy at the comics shop. He said, "I'm curious what they're going to do with the Justice League without all the big guns in it."

When I mentioned the Giffen league, he was completely confused. He had no idea what I was talking about. I mentioned Maxwell Lord, and he said, "Yeah. He was a bad ass."

So, there could be a whole block of readers who aren't used to the kind of shenanigans that used to be de rigeur. That could be why Firestorm is no longer a quipping teenager with his "drag" of a father-figure in his head. Or why we still haven't even seen Elongated Man or Wally West.
Kirby Krackle
Rootwalla

Love, friendship and nerdity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

On the topic of Maxwell Lord I was shocked to see him turn up in O.M.A.C, I had hopes he would be JLI Max but nope. Evil, evil, no character Max, very disappointing.
With every other Marvel title having it's funny bone in the right place (Wolverine and the x-men, Daredevil, Spiderman e.t.c) I still wonder why DC can't dedicate one of it's 52+ core titles to some laughs.

Searching for indie gems.
Trey
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »

Probably because everyone in the DCU have lost their parents and can't keep a relationship.
Navarre
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »

The entire gritty aspect of comics has lost its appeal. Even my life has never been as bad as these guys and these poor saps aren't inspiring me.
Bentongrey
Egg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »

Probably because everyone in the DCU have lost their parents and can't keep a relationship.

Ha!  That's well said, and one of the main reasons I don't much bother with modern mainstream books.  I prefer my heroes a little less damaged and a lot less dour.  Plus, I prefer my imaginary worlds a bit more hopeful.

God bless!
Trey
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »

Five months later and I still find DC comics to be putting out Dark, bleak, and un-fun comics.  I'm really tired of it.

I've decided to drop the Green Lantern comic lines because they are always related to something trying to destroy the universe.  I mean seriously, they go from one universe spanning crisis to the next without as much as single Gnort story in between.  What happened to being space cops?

And why is there a Red Lanterns comic?  Do readers love hate and anger so much that we need a comic?

I read Batman Eternal #1 and I was like, "Wow a 20 page 3 dollar comic about a dark and gritty batman?"  Not going to read it.   It's getting to be too expensive. 

I'm hoping Future's End brings some good changes to the universe.  But from what Dueling Reviews have said, it's full of hyper-violence and death.   Maybe once all the characters in the universe are killed off it will be rebooted with the new characters having a love of life and being happy for a change.
The Nuke
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »

Don't you guys know, dark and bleak are what all the Teens and Adults want.

It's very interesting, DC needs younger readers, the younger reader market is actually doing very well, yet DC only caters to a much older audience.

Things might lighten up once Disney owns them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: