Major Spoilers Forum
September 01, 2014, 06:26:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow Major Spoilers on Twitter! @MajorSpoilers, @FearsomeCritter, @MightyKingCobra

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Songs you like but cannot find?  (Read 13974 times)
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »

It seems impossible in this day and age that a song we like wouldn't be available online in some capacity.  Even garage bands have videos and tracks available.  But every once in a while, there appears to be no trace of a song we once liked.

Back around 2000 - 2003 when I was living in Missouri, a few friends and I frequently went to concerts for an indie band called Clever that often played in St. Louis and would occasionally be played on the radio during programs aimed at promoting indie or lesser known bands.  I even had one of their CDs that featured a song I absolutely loved called "Luck".  Somewhere in the time when I moved back to Illinois, I lost the CD and somewhat forgot about the band until about 2009 or so.  I have searched many times and can find almost no trace of the band, let alone the song.  Even contacting old friends who once had the CD themselves (or at least a copy of "Luck" burned to a disc) no longer had it.  I've also tried contacting a few used CD shops in the St. Louis area to ask if they had copies.  No such luck (pun not intended).

Harder to find is a Ghostbusters cover by a band who I cannot for the life of me remember.  Around 1997 - 1998, when I was only allowed to be online for an hour a week, I was part of a Ghostbusters fan forum.  Along with downloadable blueprints to building replicas of the Ghostbusters equipment (I still have my proton pack I made), there were downloads of covers of the Ghostbusters song by three bands I had never heard of (I assume they were indie or foreign).  One such cover was a somewhat metal/grunge mix sounding cover that I absolutely loved.  I had the song file in my old computer for years, never bothering to memorize the name of the group.  Eventually, the old forum closed down and later that computer suddenly died.  I have been seeking the song ever since, but without a group name it is a very hard and so far fruitless quest.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

Just last night I was looking for Elvis Presley performing Are You Lonesome Tonight from the August 26, 1969 performance where he starts cracking up and can't control himself while Sissy Houston (Whitney's Mother) is singing a soprano obligato in the background and like a pro keeps on going.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »

I have a similar issue in that I have a song that I don't know if the title and artist are correct. Let's just pretend I obtained this song in a fashion we shall not discuss and move on. The artist and title I have for the song is A Perfect Circle - Choke. Now despite my checking lyric web sites I can't find a song that APC has done called choke. Furthermore when I try to type parts of the lyrics into their search function I get back "no possible matches". I like the song because the music is good I only wish I knew the lyrics. I find it hard to imagine that this song I have only exists in a way that no one else knows the song or even knows if the artist and song name are correct. However that's the world I currently live in so I feel your pain.

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »

I have a similar issue in that I have a song that I don't know if the title and artist are correct. Let's just pretend I obtained this song in a fashion we shall not discuss and move on. The artist and title I have for the song is A Perfect Circle - Choke. Now despite my checking lyric web sites I can't find a song that APC has done called choke. Furthermore when I try to type parts of the lyrics into their search function I get back "no possible matches". I like the song because the music is good I only wish I knew the lyrics. I find it hard to imagine that this song I have only exists in a way that no one else knows the song or even knows if the artist and song name are correct. However that's the world I currently live in so I feel your pain.

and of course after reading this I try my serch yet again and what do i find. Finally the lyrics exist and i no longer feel like a crazy person. YAY!!!!

Rob, no not that one.
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »

What we we need is a service where you just hum the bit of the song the you remember and even if your horribly off key and getting the words all wrong it just goes "Oh yeah that's Brittany Spears, download it here." Of course any system smart enough to do that would probably also judge you for listening to Brittany Smiley

Okay, this looks bad.
Navarre
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »

I actually found Britney's first few albums enjoyable. But a service like that would be sweet.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:45:56 AM »

I really like her Circus Album and the ones around that. I agree because for the longest time i thought the words "for those about to rock" were "The devil's about to rock" and could never figure out why i couldn't find that song and everyone though i was crazy.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »

What we we need is a service where you just hum the bit of the song the you remember and even if your horribly off key and getting the words all wrong it just goes "Oh yeah that's Brittany Spears, download it here." Of course any system smart enough to do that would probably also judge you for listening to Brittany Smiley

I think that system would be judging me for many, many other things before listening to a pop star if it was either on my own computer or could see into my files.   Lips Sealed

But I'm almost surprised there isn't something like that considering we have language recognition software that can translate spoken words pretty decently, and it seems to theoretically be a similar principal (although more complex to some degree).

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »

What would be fun is singing the songs that I'm made up to the tunes of others or even better songs that I've completely made up on my own. I can picture the program in a very old timey computer fashion going "error error does not compute rar rar"

Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »

There is one like that.  Well you have to type in a part of the melody and you must know how to write or play music.
Well it doesn't allow any song but only those in it's Library without a copyright.   Well it is only for sheetmusic and doesn't actually play anyting.
But it is a swell website for a classical musician or a music teacher.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Rob, no not that one.
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »

There is the Shazam app but as far as I know it only really works if you can play it the actual song, not much help in this situation.

Okay, this looks bad.
Ignatief
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »

I know this is a bit late to the party, but Soundhound seems to have a (reasonable) pick up rate of hummed and sung tunes- singing seems to use a mix of triangulating my off-key rendition of the tune and lyrics. I got it as a freebie as part of iTunes 12 days of christmas promo, but don't think it's expensive

(I have no conflict of interest, honest;-)
Rob, no not that one.
Charmander

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »

Thanks for the tip I'll check it out.

Okay, this looks bad.
brianjose
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:06:20 AM »

My friend had made a software that allows you to make a search the song you want. No matter how old or infamous the song is you find it in the software. I will soon share the name of the software.

byttna1
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »

Just last night I was looking for Elvis Presley performing Are You Lonesome Tonight from the August 26, 1969 performance where he starts cracking up and can't control himself while Sissy Houston (Whitney's Mother) is singing a soprano obligato in the background and like a pro keeps on going.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: