Major Spoilers Forum
July 23, 2014, 04:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planning on purchasing something through Amazon? Click on the Amazon link on the main site (or here); A small amount of your purchase will go toward Major Spoilers at no additional cost to you.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Shadow War campaign In-Game: Chapter 71- Fash and Tren  (Read 5861 times)
Navarre
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »

The Shadow War

Chapter 71
Fash and Tren

The wealth of friends is left behind though you carry the feelings of affection with you. Still, it is difficult not to carry the burden of worry as well.

You have had precious few in your life for whom any care is warranted. You lost Mordelus once and now his fate remains unknown in another universe while you are here.

Serena is at your side though. Never in your years of prying secrets from the unwilling and fighting to survive the diabolical landscape of Hell did you dream you would find someone who holds not only your trust but also your love.

But you have seen her grow from a brilliant and inquisitive girl in a woman whose composure, intellect, and ability not only rival your own but leaves you awestruck. But, in truth, it is not only those things but that intangible and inexplicable quality that makes any given person truly unique.

You cannot name it but, whatever it is, you feel blessed to have known Hell to know her.

Your thoughts are shaken once again by the crashing sound of the hill giant as he lumbers along on the other side of Serena. Small trees sway and crack as he pushes through. He doesn't notice, watching a bright yellow bird with the same sort of hunger one would see in a small child looking at a cookie.

Vinnrog and Inoke move quickly just ahead of you. Well-conditioned for the wild and faster than you, they weave through the undergrowth as if taking a stroll down a city promenade.

They stop short as Aphra appears from ahead of you. Despite her red fur she seems to know how to move with as much skill at hiding.

You are reminded again of the hot summer day as you see her, panting before you. Her tongue lolls from her mouth unbidden and her fur clings damply to her body.

All of you are sweating. Even Serena's face glistens with a fine sheen over her tan skin, her normally stick-straight blonde hair clinging in long curls along her brow and cheeks. Her red silk blouse clings to her as well, as wet as if she had swam in it. Your eyes drift toward her...

"Ahem!" Aphra interrupts your thoughts.

"We've been heading south for about two hours. So far everything looks good. If I have Storme's map right we should be at the edge of Gallia Forest and into the 'goblin's lands sometime tomorrow."

"Whew!... It's bad enough it's hot as Hell...yours, not mine...out here. But I hope you don't plan on sneaking up on anything out here with Man Mountain Goon making that racket."
Strifeter
Dinosaucer

Never quit :)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »

Tren takes a moment to gather his wits.

"No this mission is for information and hopefully allies.". He looks to the goblin

"I do not believe sneaking around will help this cause. If anything he should help us deter any trouble.".

I got souls, they multiplyin'
Navarre
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »

The goblin takes care to look like he's not glaring at you. But he is far from accepting you as any sort of ally.

"We heading toward Hills of Betrayal. They named because Illumian say Damrogann betrayed him. But Damrogann say Illumian do betraying."

"Then Vinnrog the Mad betray us and start rebellion. Everybody betray everybody. Not safe here."

Vinnrog adjusts his bowler. A trickle of sweat runs down his face from the hatband.

"Me come from place called Hills of Betrayal. Back home it was named 'cause Illumian said we orcs and such all betrayed him. But we didn't. We stayed true to Primordial."

"Seems to me 'betrayal' depend on who you asking."

Inoke nods in agreement.

"Yes. It is matter of perspective. Loyalty to one seem like betrayal to others when, true, people make war in ways where everyone lose."

"What good it do to get rid of all who don't agree with you? That not bring peace. Someone will always be there to have other perspective so war keeps on going till no one's left."

Vinnrog listens carefully, obviously impressed with Inoke's words though he blinks a few times. He nods.

"Uh-huh. Maybe we should find one of these 'perspectives'. Sounds like it be good weapon in fight."
Strifeter
Dinosaucer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »

Tren smiles.

"Exactly, I am glad to hear you agree Vin." Tren looks at the goblin

"You see we have only heard from the people you were hired to attack. Now call me fair in saying I do intend to hear your end of this story aswell."

Tren bows to the Goblin.

"My name is Tren. Tren 'Ark' Moonstride. My intention is to find out about this mysterious lady who hired you good sir as I believe you and I have have a common goal into paying her back in full. Could I know the name of my guide?"

Navarre
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »

The hobgoblin tilts his head and regards you. He looks over Serena and the giant.

He seems to conclude that you could have likely forced him into servitude if you'd wished but have not. This seems to have some effect on him.

He grunts to himself then replies.

"Name is Munir. Me First Soldier of former Garthon Lair."

"No one ever say they be 'fair' with me and mean it. Usually trick."

"You don't seem like you tricking me. Better not be."
Strifeter
Dinosaucer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:07 AM »

Tren nods and hands him his crossbow.

"Well met then Munir. You are right to assume I do not seem to be tricking you as I have no reason too. Again I suppose we should apologize to you for your comrades we felled but as a man of war you know casualties are inevitable. We were attacked and retaliated, such is the reality."

Tren goes silent for a moment.

"Tell me Munir. Will we be welcomed to you home?"

Navarre
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »

Munir looks over his crossbow, checks the cable and release, and nods. He reattaches it to his belt.

"Me understand. We worship Damrogann, Lord of War."

"War is what we know. In war, each day is to be taken with gratitude because it is all we may have."

"Me not hate you for killing brothers. Me would have killed yours if me must."

"But war is made for warriors, not tricksters. Me respect Vinnrog because he fights. But me not like working with tricky sneaks."

"Others feel same. You seem like tricky sneak, you and mate. Me think they might kill you, mmm."
Strifeter
Dinosaucer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

Munir looks over his crossbow, checks the cable and release, and nods. He reattaches it to his belt.

"I only choose tricky as it saves lives Munir. Maybe one day it will save yours. War is waged on many fronts. People like me keep people like you alive and vice versa."

Tren looks around the forest.

"Do you not use scouts for your armies Munir?"

Navarre
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »

Munir nods.

"Yes. We do."

"We not close enough to our lands yet. Gallia Forest holding of Illumian. We would be killed on sight."

"We have ways to travel still. Whatever be in forest here is not known to me. We taken to Forest Falls by magic.
"
Strifeter
Dinosaucer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »

Tren considers this and nods.

"Ah yes but my meaning was aren't your scouts considered sneaky?"

Navarre
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

Munir shrugs as you are continuing forward. Aphra leads the way, just in sight of Vinnrog and Inoke. The giant walks behind you now at Serena's request, making a living wall to guard your rear as well as slowing him down so he doesn't accidentally wander off.

Munir replies.

"Me not think so. We hide and wait then kill what comes our way."

"If you think hunting is sneaky then mmm. But me not mean sneaky walking."

"Me talking about sneaky words. Telling something to get way when words not true or know bad things will happen."

"You have sneaky tongue, methinks. Ugly mate have sneaky tongue and spells giant to slave. Elf woman had sneaky tongue."

"Hard to make friends with tribe if you look and talk like sneaky Elf."
Strifeter
Dinosaucer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »

Tren smiles and looks on.

"Don't worry Munir, I can take care of myself. And others should the need arise. My words have more truth in them than you give credit for I think."

Tren continues to scan the horizon.

"Tell me, do you only live for war?"

Navarre
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »

Munir shakes head.

"Don't live for war. War lives for us."

"People fight other people. Fists. Steel. Words. Life is war."

"We try to get along with others but others not like us. Not welcome. So, war."

"Someday my war end though. Me die and Damrogann take me to reward: Darkamma."

"Darkamma place where everyone friends. We fight all day, like brothers, but at end of day feast together, also like brothers."

"Darkamma be gift to Munir for being good warrior in life. Me look forward to that."
Strifeter
Dinosaucer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »

Munir shakes head.

"If you try to get along with others why attack that village. Why not turn away from this elvish woman?"

Navarre
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »

Munir spits.

"No. Used to try. Don't try no more."

"We send hobgoblins to make friends with holding of Illumian. ... We get only heads of brothers back."

"Priests of Light shave heads and mark them with blazing eye of Illumian. Brand us as heretics."

"We hear it all under orders of some redhead with one eye. So we not too trusting when redhead appeared in tribal village."

"But she Elf, not human. And she bring us gifts and promises to get lands back. So we agree."

"But me smart enough to know we being used when we see Maldomkin's Dark Tomorrow there. Then they leave us to fight for self."

"Me tell chieftain all that. Then maybe he not stick you up on stake. Maybe."

As you've been talking you have continued to cover distance. Though you have been alert, the conversation has held your attention better than the travel.

It is only when you notice Vinnrog and Inoke stop that you too come to a halt. Aphra appears in front of them.

She pushes a thin branch away from her as she wearily exits the woods. But it slips in her hand and snaps back to strike her in the face.

The cursing is furious and goes on at some length. The sapling stands no chance against the Hound's night cleaver.

She looks up from the newly formed kindling, panting heavily.

"This damn heat is killing me. I'm stopping to rest," she says, without waiting for reply. She sprawls out on her back and laps water from her canteen.

Serena shrugs.

"I suppose it's lunch time, whether we approve or not."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: