Major Spoilers Forum
April 18, 2014, 08:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planning on purchasing something through Amazon? Click on the Amazon link on the main site (or here); A small amount of your purchase will go toward Major Spoilers at no additional cost to you.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Plot/World Building for Campaign  (Read 18879 times)
Navarre
« Reply #390 on: January 09, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »

Depending on the personality, experiences, and psyche of the PC, I wonder if maybe at least one of them would rather not have their old body back?
Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 09, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »

That's definitely true; it also depends on the situation of the environment, i.e. The party are a group from one side of a war, and after their transformation are hunted by their former allies.

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 09, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »

Nice. It wasn't a completely original concept on my part, but it comes across as surprising to the players and challenging for role-playing.

Aww damn what is wingtip going to turn into. Grin

Vold and wing need to do a body switch ala freaky Friday lol

Navarre
« Reply #393 on: January 09, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »

Nice. It wasn't a completely original concept on my part, but it comes across as surprising to the players and challenging for role-playing.

The 2003 version with Lindsey Lohan, with Vold as Lindsey.
Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 09, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »

I just felt an overwhelming sense of DOOM overcome my person.

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:51 AM »

The unicorn queen is indeed against the blue dragon (as well as the red and the silver). Maybe her army was preparing to come through and the blue got past the defenses on the Faerie Kingdom side, breaking into Dominion space. The queen's forces would normally be against the blue, but since they were all turned into rather mindless dragons maybe the blue has pulled them under his command?

So if I'm understanding this correctly the Blue dragon would be in the Dominoin space and taking control or rather commanding the warped dragons that come through the Rift?

That could work does the party have more than one heavy armored Tank type character. I'm wondering if they Paladin might ride through the rift on his own to stop the Unicron Queen from sending her forces through the gate in it's current condition while the rest of the party battles the Blue dragon and the Warped dragons from the rift. Depending on how long it takes for the Paladin to go through talk to the Queen and come back maybe he arrives in time to help finish off the last of the dragons then the party works to stabilize the rift between lands?

It will depend on how long your combat lasts as to weather or not the paladin would make it back or not.

If the Blue Dragon is still in the Faerie Kingdom how would the party get through the rift (other then the paladin) with out suffering corruption?

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: January 10, 2013, 02:20:41 AM »

I can totally RP that. maybe once we strike it rich as successful adventurers, when i'm exiting my wagon at a royal banquet, a paperazzi folio illustrator will catch a shot of under Vold's loin cloth that'll make all the tabloid covers

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 12, 2013, 01:54:44 AM »

My current home game is getting a reset and I'm using a polt hook I started to develop and slightly borrowing from Eothr's world but hey what's D&D with out stealing from other DM's.

There are several islands surrounding a Main continent.

The Isle of swamps
The Isle of Mountains
The Isle shrouded in mist
The Isle covered in forest
The Isle oasis
The Isle of plains
The Isle of hills
The Isle Hidden in shadow

I think that's all of them there may be a 9th but i'm to tired to think strait. Anywho the islands are a few miles away from the central world and a few miles beyond the islands there is a storm that never ends.
Many adventures have tried to make it threw the storm and no one knows if anyone has ever made it.

15 years ago there was a great war that decimated the population of many of the races and the most of them have scattered to the varies Islands. There are 5-6 different races all with similar interests in the land they call home.

Recent events there have been murders on the central island and tension is brewing. The blame is being cast on everyone and since they've really only begun to rebuild their populations many races are worried about extinction. Several elites either from the 1st war or breed from champions of the first war are being gathered together to investigate what's happening and hope to end thing quickly before the central Island declares war.

That's about what i've got so far. I can't find my list of islands nor which races call which island home but I tried to make each island evensih.

Thoughts or suggestions?

The part I'm borrowing from Eothr is that each Island has several races on it but the players must pick an Island based on what race they want to play and each Island can only be chosen once.

I redid the Islands and here is what I have.

A PC that picks swamp has the choice of

Water Soul Genasi
Drow
Razor Claw Shifter
Githyanki
Gnoll

A PC that picks Plains has the choice of

Wind Soul Genasi
Long tooth Shifter
Githzerai
Human
Half elf
Changeling

A PC that picks Oasis has the choice of

Thri-Kreen
Bladeling
Fire Soul Genasi
Kenku
Kobold

A PC that picks Hills has the choice of

Goblins
Bugbear
Half-Orc
Hobgoblin
Orc
Halfling
Minotaur

A PC that picks Mountain has the choice of

Dwarf
Goliath
Earth Soul Genasi
Satyr
Mul
Gnome

A PC that picks Shadow has the choice of

Svirfeneblin
Vryloka
Shade
Revenant
Duergar
Kalashtar

A PC that picks Mist has the choice of

Deva
Shardmind
Dragonborn
Warforged
Pixie
Storm soul Genasi

A PC that picks Forest has the choice of

Elf
Eladrin
Wilden
Hamadryad
Bullywug

Eothr Maybe you could help me with this for my home game. I would like to have a custom made bonus for each island similar to that of the ones you made for the Eldions. Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 12, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »

Well, the easiest part is the names for your backgrounds:
Swamplander
Plainslander
Oasislander
Hillslander
Mountlander
Shadelander
Mistlander
Forestlander

After that, think about the races on each island and how they live, but be prepared for the background benefit/bonus to not be relevant.

In our game, Dacian is a Native of Nautilus, but neither his Nature or Perception are Trained, and he has low Wisdom, so the ability for another PC to use Dacian's Nature or Perception bonus on a check isn't a good idea. However, that doesn't detract from Dacian's value as a character and combatant.

In the end, the background bonus is a small element, one that can be integral to a character's RP. The one thing I caution against is giving a power for a background, even though it might be interesting.

Navarre
« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »

I did finally get my map drawn for my Faerie Kingdom. Link provided so as not to have to size down the map:

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp124/Navarre2001/FK04_zps8955c26e.jpg
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

I did finally get my map drawn for my Faerie Kingdom. Link provided so as not to have to size down the map:

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp124/Navarre2001/FK04_zps8955c26e.jpg

That's awesome. I wish I had any amount of atristic talent to be able to do something this cool. Sadly everything I draw comes out looking like a poorly drawn picture a 5 year old might do.

Navarre
« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »

I did a search for terrain maps in google and grabbed something that had some various terrains. Then in Photoshop I randomly cut out hunks of it and pasted into layers to create a random unique map.

Then I did a little cleanup and made up names/history for places. I then added those names to the map. I wasn't very difficult.

You might notice that the top of the map is similar to the bottom. There was a whole area where Ish'Arr Crater is now that used to contain the Rakshasa lands and their city. But it was cut loose from reality and now floats in the void.

Ish'Arr was at the north pole. The result of it being rifted out was that the world unfurled then rolled together along the equator.

This resulted in a donut-shaped world (with an actual hole in the middle). The north and south were shoved together along the magenta seam to seal the new world.

So if you were to, say, travel north and cross the fissure at the top of the map, you would appear at the bottom of the map on the other side of the fissure. The sun revolves around the world instead of the other way around, so areas have two eclipses per day as the sun passes around any given spot on the donut world.

Since this is all a magical realm, I don't have to worry too much about physics.  Smiley
Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 17, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

Since this is all a magical realm, I don't have to worry too much about physics.  Smiley

That's the truth; IT'S MAGIC! lol Cheesy

I'm thinking of drawing up another D&D game after a couple chapters of "Age of the Guardians", focusing on the anime Naruto; with the magic-like chakra abilities and super-fights of that world, I figure Fighters, Warlords, Rogues, Sorcerers, Monks, and Avengers would most likely work, mostly through Hybridization.

In particular, I think a Rogue/Sorcerer Hybrid would be most similar to those kinds of shinobi, with Fighter/Warlord as the Kenjustsu ninjas, and Monk/Avengers as the hand-to-hand lunatics.

Navarre
« Reply #403 on: January 17, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

I think it's nice to flavor a D&D world around something than the standard medieval or typical D&D atmosphere. My current game world (the mortal plane connected to the Faerie Kingdom) is based around Roman society.

Just being able to describe marble temples and people wearing a toga, stola (female garments), lorica segmentata (armor), gladius (short sword) and so on makes for a very different mental imagery for the players that can help a game feel fresh even though it follows the standard D&D rules..
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »

I did a search for terrain maps in google and grabbed something that had some various terrains. Then in Photoshop I randomly cut out hunks of it and pasted into layers to create a random unique map.

Then I did a little cleanup and made up names/history for places. I then added those names to the map. I wasn't very difficult.

You might notice that the top of the map is similar to the bottom. There was a whole area where Ish'Arr Crater is now that used to contain the Rakshasa lands and their city. But it was cut loose from reality and now floats in the void.

Ish'Arr was at the north pole. The result of it being rifted out was that the world unfurled then rolled together along the equator.

This resulted in a donut-shaped world (with an actual hole in the middle). The north and south were shoved together along the magenta seam to seal the new world.

So if you were to, say, travel north and cross the fissure at the top of the map, you would appear at the bottom of the map on the other side of the fissure. The sun revolves around the world instead of the other way around, so areas have two eclipses per day as the sun passes around any given spot on the donut world.

Well what ever you did sir it looks amazing. I suck at photo editing and croping so even with photoshop i could never acheave something this cool.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: