Major Spoilers Forum
April 24, 2014, 06:55:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A big announcement is coming soon! Visit Major Spoilers often to stay in the loop!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Plot/World Building for Campaign  (Read 19120 times)
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 09, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »

She wouldn't she would send the whole army. On the assumption that there are other forces helping the party fight the dragons (although no present in the PC's combat).

From a plot standpoint there are other forces fighting the dragons also. The dragons wouldn't be able to focus on the PC's they'd have to fight the other creatures as well.

From a mechanics point because there is that other force helping the PC's they could help tie up some of the dragons. The PC's would be able to fight a few of the dragons at a time and as they took some out the more dragons could come fight them because they took out the NPC's or one of their watched one of their brethren get destroyed and want vengeance.

Make sense?

Navarre
« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »

Yeah, I got ya. And that's about how I see it coming down as well.

I'm wondering if I have had the unicorn queen make a smart choice. If she is already beset by Barbarus's army, why attack the Dominion as well? That spreads her thin in two directions.

All I can see is that she is angry the Dominion abandoned the Faerie Kingdom in the first place and, not being able to defeat Barbarus's army, has decided to move her people through the rifts to the Dominion instead, with her army going first to conquer it.

Even if they succeed though, Barbarus could just follow if either the rifts weren't closed or something didn't defend the rift. I am wondering if the four true dragons (not the ones changed by the rift); the gold, silver, red, and blue have a part in this? Seems they'd fit in somehow?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 09, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »

I wonder if the PC's would see the dragons coming through the rift and try to go through them selves and find out why dragons keep attacking them.

Maybe they make a mad dash across the battle field taking out dragons on the way for the rift. Only to come face to face with the Unicorn queen on the other side.

Also if the Unicorns forces keep becoming altered is there any of her forces that would remain in it's normal status? Would the Unicorn queen her self become corrupt?

Navarre
« Reply #378 on: January 09, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »

The PCs are aware at this point of what is happening to the denizens of the Faerie Kingdom. They learned about it from the only person from the Faerie Kingdom to have so far survived the move through the rift without changing.

That person is Persephone, the daughter of the unicorn queen and the male pegasus that is the special mount of the PC Paladin's ancestor. Persephone is a unicorn/pegasus hybrid who, because of her spiritual bond with the Paladin, was able to resist the rift's energy when it tried to corrupt her.

Otherwise, everyone who has come through the rift so far from the Faerie Kingdom has been altered. But, yeah, I need something going here for the PCs besides "Hey, keep fighting dragons".
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 09, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

Maybe they need cover while they find a safer path into the Faerie kingdom. Since the Pegasus was able to resist the corruption maybe s/he remembers what it was like and can communicate that to the paladin.

Or possibly they need to stabilize the Rift so that when creatures try to pass through it they're not corrupted and mutated. Maybe in the battle they're just protecting that and the fight will last how ever many rounds till that's complete. Would also be interesting to see things come through the rift in waves and as the device begins to stabilize the rift the creatures coming through are less corrupted.

Navarre
« Reply #380 on: January 09, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »

Hmm. Something to stabilize the rift. I might have something for that.

I think the PCs are hoping Persephone will simply go back through the rift and say, "Hey, mom. Stop it!"

That seems simple enough but it makes for about a 1 round fight if that happens so that's not too interesting.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

It probably drained a lot of Persephone's energy to resist the corruption from the rift before. It's quite possible that a 2nd trip through the rift in it's current state would lead him into a full state of corruption.

Navarre
« Reply #382 on: January 09, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

Could be. Or maybe just all those creatures coming in the party's direction through the rift creates too much energy for Persephone to pass through in the other direction.

Then again, if the Paladin did somehow save the capitol city and all those lives in some epic manner it would be great. Maybe he and Persephone can get through but at least one of the real dragons (eg, the evil blue) has taken the advantage to escape the Faerie Kingdom and would single out anyone who tried to get back through the rift to stop the battle.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 09, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »

Sounds good to me. I've gotta work you can bounce more ideas off me tomorrow if you still need help working it out. My only question is if the Unicorn queen was sending her army through the rift wouldn't she be fighting the True Blue dragon if he was trying to take control over it on that side?

Navarre
« Reply #384 on: January 09, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

The unicorn queen is indeed against the blue dragon (as well as the red and the silver). Maybe her army was preparing to come through and the blue got past the defenses on the Faerie Kingdom side, breaking into Dominion space. The queen's forces would normally be against the blue, but since they were all turned into rather mindless dragons maybe the blue has pulled them under his command?
Eothr
Not the Mama

Desperately craving Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 09, 2013, 05:20:16 PM »

Here's an idea for a D&D game...

Starting the game with a High Fantasy feel (Forgotten Realms is a good example), the players create their characters in the same fashion (very traditional races and classes, maybe a few exotics like Gnomes, Tieflings (duh), & Dragonborn (double duh)). After the initial gathering and first combat together, the adventurers are caught in a spell, divine influence, dimensional wormhole, whatever, that then rips the souls from their bodies and places them in Constructs (like Warforged or Shardmind). They then have to find a way to recover their true bodies while interacting with and enduring the responses of a world that has never seen their new forms before.

Whaddya think?

Venom symbiote + Blackheart = Marvel Apocolypse
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »

Here's an idea for a D&D game...

Starting the game with a High Fantasy feel (Forgotten Realms is a good example), the players create their characters in the same fashion (very traditional races and classes, maybe a few exotics like Gnomes, Tieflings (duh), & Dragonborn (double duh)). After the initial gathering and first combat together, the adventurers are caught in a spell, divine influence, dimensional wormhole, whatever, that then rips the souls from their bodies and places them in Constructs (like Warforged or Shardmind). They then have to find a way to recover their true bodies while interacting with and enduring the responses of a world that has never seen their new forms before.

Whaddya think?

We did something similar to that in my old group (instead of constructs, the bodies were changed into another race through a random roll via a chart the DM had made including races from other settings that didn't exist in the setting we were using), and handled properly it could be a blast.  There was a bit of extra work that had to be done but the end result was a fun and interesting game. 

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 09, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »

Nice. It wasn't a completely original concept on my part, but it comes across as surprising to the players and challenging for role-playing.

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »

Nice. It wasn't a completely original concept on my part, but it comes across as surprising to the players and challenging for role-playing.

Aww damn what is wingtip going to turn into. Grin

Eothr
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 09, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »

I'm not posting any of our game's plot/world building here, sorry Rev Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: