Major Spoilers Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:46:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Now you can make a recurring donation to Major Spoilers. Look for the button on the right-hand column of www.majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Plot/World Building for Campaign  (Read 19093 times)
Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: January 03, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »

4e, the paladin's the healer, but I have to keep reminding him that he is able to, not to mention that the other guys have second winds they can use. We're all steadily improving though.

I started with the Coppernight hold module, and have been pretty much winging it from there, the areas been seeing a lot of dragonborn/kobold activity last few sessions as a prelude to an military conflict but I wanna keep their options open so its not just locked into this big war epic, maybe I'll have them visit a neighboring country on the way,

PC's are a dragonborn warlock with the star pact, human paladin and an elf ranger. We've been having a lot of fun, but I wouldn't mind keeping things fresh with some new ideas

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »

4e, the paladin's the healer, but I have to keep reminding him that he is able to, not to mention that the other guys have second winds they can use. We're all steadily improving though.

I started with the Coppernight hold module, and have been pretty much winging it from there, the areas been seeing a lot of dragonborn/kobold activity last few sessions as a prelude to an military conflict but I wanna keep their options open so its not just locked into this big war epic, maybe I'll have them visit a neighboring country on the way,

PC's are a dragonborn warlock with the star pact, human paladin and an elf ranger. We've been having a lot of fun, but I wouldn't mind keeping things fresh with some new ideas

I can't stress enough how important it is to have the leader role fulfilled. I've actually had to tell the party in my home game that they need a healer in order to survive the encounters i throw at them once when the guy playing the Tiefling Cleric was sick.

Kudos to you for trying it with 3 people and not one leader.

Since I'm not sure what your party can handle in combat I'll just post some mobs in the MM1 and you can use them or not depending on what you want the party to fight.

Navarre
« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

I always look at character motivations first then build the physical threats from there. This would include NPCs.

Who hired the party for protection? They likely wouldn't have been hired only as muscle (assuming they aren't experienced sailors) unless the NPC expected trouble.

Why does the NPC want to go to the island? Is the island under anyone's authority?

Has it been explored? Settled at all? Any known natives?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 03, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

Visejaw Crocodile might hang out near the wreckage.
Perhaps a few Doppelganger Sneak's have disguised them selves as crew members.
Since the PC's have been hired for portection why not have another ship try to board them and the PC's have to fight off the boarding party. Could be any number of Humanoid races. Human's elf's hafling's or a combination of races the could just as easily be pirates.
If you want to go the haunted/undead Island. I would suggest a happy mix of zombies and skeletons. I prefer Zombies because they have more options then Skeletons but both have good qualities to them. Maybe throw in few Ghost/specter or wraith here and there.

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: January 03, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »

@navarre good points, at this point the party's a gang of mercenaries, they rescued a militart officer(lvl 5 human noble) from being cooked by some kobolds only to leave him tied up to ransom later. They only let him go when a platoon of goblins reskinned as dragonborn showed up who they promptly ambushed and tried to sell the officer to. The part of the warlock's pact is he's gotta kill the paladin at some point, (which neither the paladin or player knows) and the ranger is bound and determined to get magical armor regardless of who he's gotta lie to. Shoot, the paladin only started acting remotely lawful good when I had an angel show up and yell at him, after which he promptly gave a third of the party's gold to some widow who's thug son they killed in their first encounter

It's been entertaining to say the least

Maybe the captain hired them for something nefarious, which is why he cut such a good deal with them, hmm.. They haven't been up against many arcane enemies yet, maybe some kind of necromancers waiting for them

@revenant sorrow I saw that vice jaw croc, sounds like a plan, they step off the longboat then SNAP! Combat! . Oh and there's definitely going to be some ship to ship combat, maybe even a couple.

What might also be cool is once they get to the island the ship leaves them there, the captain hires strong fighters, then dumps them off for the necromancers or whatever on the island to use for soldiers or some such thing, haven't used any zombies or skeletons yet, by they definitely sound like winners.

Navarre
« Reply #365 on: January 03, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »

Several generations ago, an enclave of druids sailed to a remote island retreat. The members of this enclave believed all life had come from the ocean but that modern (by D&D accounts) culture had subverted the pure ways of primordial life. So the enclave sought an abandoned island, far from civilization, to see the truth of life's origins.

The enclave discovered peaceful natives on one side of the island. So the enclave took to the other side of the island to build their research station.

The druids spent several years attempting to locate the source of life in the sea before their magics made contact with an ancient life form far below the ocean's surface. The druids tried to make telepathic contact with the creature, little knowing what they had discovered.

The creature was a monster of great psychic power, cast into the seas by the gods in the first years of creation when the gods realized their original attempt at creating life was horribly flawed. The creature had been dormant until it was awakened by the enclave.

The creature used its psychic powers to enslave the enclave, forcing them to act as its minions. The creature seeks release from the ocean, seeing what a magnificent world now awaits it on land through its psychic link with the enslaved druids.

...Okay, I'm leaving home now to get some exercise. If anyone likes this idea maybe they can build on it.

Where do the natives fit in?
Is the expedition to the island a random exploration or motivated by something more?
Maybe the creature feeds on psychic energy and has turned the druids and/or natives into some form of undead?

stuff and things...
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »

My current home game is getting a reset and I'm using a polt hook I started to develop and slightly borrowing from Eothr's world but hey what's D&D with out stealing from other DM's.

There are several islands surrounding a Main continent.

The Isle of swamps
The Isle of Mountains
The Isle shrouded in mist
The Isle covered in forest
The Isle oasis
The Isle of plains
The Isle of hills
The Isle Hidden in shadow

I think that's all of them there may be a 9th but i'm to tired to think strait. Anywho the islands are a few miles away from the central world and a few miles beyond the islands there is a storm that never ends.
Many adventures have tried to make it threw the storm and no one knows if anyone has ever made it.

15 years ago there was a great war that decimated the population of many of the races and the most of them have scattered to the varies Islands. There are 5-6 different races all with similar interests in the land they call home.

Recent events there have been murders on the central island and tension is brewing. The blame is being cast on everyone and since they've really only begun to rebuild their populations many races are worried about extinction. Several elites either from the 1st war or breed from champions of the first war are being gathered together to investigate what's happening and hope to end thing quickly before the central Island declares war.

That's about what i've got so far. I can't find my list of islands nor which races call which island home but I tried to make each island evensih.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:07 AM »

My current home game is getting a reset and I'm using a polt hook I started to develop and slightly borrowing from Eothr's world but hey what's D&D with out stealing from other DM's.

There are several islands surrounding a Main continent.

The Isle of swamps
The Isle of Mountains
The Isle shrouded in mist
The Isle covered in forest
The Isle oasis
The Isle of plains
The Isle of hills
The Isle Hidden in shadow

I think that's all of them there may be a 9th but i'm to tired to think strait. Anywho the islands are a few miles away from the central world and a few miles beyond the islands there is a storm that never ends.
Many adventures have tried to make it threw the storm and no one knows if anyone has ever made it.

15 years ago there was a great war that decimated the population of many of the races and the most of them have scattered to the varies Islands. There are 5-6 different races all with similar interests in the land they call home.

Recent events there have been murders on the central island and tension is brewing. The blame is being cast on everyone and since they've really only begun to rebuild their populations many races are worried about extinction. Several elites either from the 1st war or breed from champions of the first war are being gathered together to investigate what's happening and hope to end thing quickly before the central Island declares war.

That's about what i've got so far. I can't find my list of islands nor which races call which island home but I tried to make each island evensih.

Thoughts or suggestions?

The part I'm borrowing from Eothr is that each Island has several races on it but the players must pick an Island based on what race they want to play and each Island can only be chosen once.

I redid the Islands and here is what I have.

A PC that picks swamp has the choice of

Water Soul Genasi
Drow
Razor Claw Shifter
Githyanki
Gnoll

A PC that picks Plains has the choice of

Wind Soul Genasi
Long tooth Shifter
Githzerai
Human
Half elf
Changeling

A PC that picks Oasis has the choice of

Thri-Kreen
Bladeling
Fire Soul Genasi
Kenku
Kobold

A PC that picks Hills has the choice of

Goblins
Bugbear
Half-Orc
Hobgoblin
Orc
Halfling
Minotaur

A PC that picks Mountain has the choice of

Dwarf
Goliath
Earth Soul Genasi
Satyr
Mul
Gnome

A PC that picks Shadow has the choice of

Svirfeneblin
Vryloka
Shade
Revenant
Duergar
Kalashtar

A PC that picks Mist has the choice of

Deva
Shardmind
Dragonborn
Warforged
Pixie
Storm soul Genasi

A PC that picks Forest has the choice of

Elf
Eladrin
Wilden
Hamadryad
Bullywug

Cowboy Centaur
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:48 AM »

that sounds like a cool plan,

kinda wish I could start my game all over again now that I know whats going on a little more, only had the players and DM's book and MM1, now I've got loads of them

Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 04, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »

I added 2 players and neither one of them had a hook and it felt really clunky to just add them both to the group and have their character they envisioned mesh with the rest of the party.

Especially when I had 5 neutral characters with mostly good intentions and 1 evil character who wanted little more then to kill everything in sight. It just didn't fit. Next week we're rolling up new characters for everyone.

I was just curious what everyone thought of my new setting and if anyone had an suggestions or comments on things they might add, change or tweak.

Navarre
« Reply #370 on: January 04, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »

I think your basics look fine. I can't see why the central island would just declare war on all islands though.

They'd instead try to determine friend from foe and form strategic alliances. Do you have anything along those lines yet?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 04, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »

The central Island is currently undefined.

I'm thinking that after the 1st war 15 years ago they developed some sort of government that works on keeping the peace between everyone. The murders are possible government officials. Since they're more political then materialistic they aren't use to investigating this type of crime.

As the murders increase in number there is more pressure to determine who's at fault. The investigators need help (which is were the PC's come in) or they may start pointing fingers at the wrong people.

From a non story point of view there central Island is like a parliament type system. Each race has several officials that represent them. Someone is going around killing them off and while the investigation is underway they're eager to blame someone and talks of working together and peace have died down. The officials are ready to blame anyone else for the murder of there friends so they can seek justice (vengeance).

Hey look at that the central Island is now more defined  Grin

Navarre
« Reply #372 on: January 09, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »

Sooooo....

Aquicaria, the capital city of the Dominion empire, is under attack.

The dimension of the Faerie Kingdom sits separated from the Dominion. The Faerie Kingdom has been at war for 18 years as the minotaur Barbarus leads his army against the good subjects of the unicorn queen. He is aided by three dragons (a red, blue, and evil silver) while the queen has a gold dragon who protects them as best he can.

The queen has sent several ambassadors from the Faerie Kingdom to the Dominion seeking aid. But they have all returned dead.

The queen blames the Dominion for sealing itself off from the Faerie Kingdom near the start of the war (which it did), protecting itself and leaving the FK to fend for itself. What she doesn't know is that the inter-planar rifts she has used to send her pixie and brownie ambassadors through had changed her subjects into mindless monsters like hydras and such.

The party previously killed those "monsters", not realizing that they were killing innocents seeking their aid. The unicorn queen has recovered her hacked up ambassadors and declared war on the Dominion.

The queen has sent her army through the rift to attack the Dominion, hoping to also seal the rifts and abandon their lost Faeie Kingdom. But, as before, the rifts have turned the faerie army into death-seeking creatures. In this case: Dragons.

So it looks like I have some crazy dragons attacking the capitol city. Any thoughts on how this whole scenario might go down, either from the mechanics side of things or a plot perspective?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »

How dare you send pixies to be slaughtered sir. Wingtip is very displeased with you.  Wink

From a plot stand point I would say the party is going to need help. They might need to recruit some of the local militia or the guards of a local kingdom. I would assume they'll need help from some one or something else in order to defeat an army of dragons.

Mechanics. Rather than sending 50 dragons at the party at once. Set up the fight like the begining of FF10. There are a few dragons on the field and after one is destroyed on the next combat round for that creature a new one steps in to replace it.

Navarre
« Reply #374 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »

There are a few heavy-hitters that can come in to help the party.

The unicorn queen doesn't know each one of her pixie soldiers is being turned into a dragon. Why would she send in one soldier at a time through the rift?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: