Major Spoilers Forum
July 22, 2014, 08:11:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: A big announcement is coming soon! Visit Major Spoilers often to stay in the loop!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Plot/World Building for Campaign  (Read 21957 times)
Navarre
« Reply #330 on: December 26, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »

I like the waterfall ideas, especially the waterfalls from the sky.

The city built from living creatures is a cool idea. Just before the party goes to the Faerie Kingdom they have an adventure that requires them to breach the mansion of the world's foremost necromancer and defeat her.

I am thinking a fortress made of dead bodies, shield guardians, and such would work well there. Thanks for the idea.

If anything else comes to mind, throw some ideas at me. I'm always glad to steal offer your ideas for my players.   Smiley
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

Wingtip aspires to greatness

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 26, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »

I have one horribly cure idea that i came up with during a game as a player. The setting was we each had our own plane and created a home world for our characters. My fortress was nothing spectacular but my favorite part was the labyrinth of force walls that any PC would have to try to navigate in order to try to get into my underground fortress. I had the force walls enchanted with permanency and something else so that Dispel magic wouldn't rip them down. Sadly this PC vs PC all out war never got off the ground so this maze never saw the light of day. It's a rather crule trick because a PC's eyes wont see the force wall. They smack into the wall then they have to navigate the invisible maze.

Navarre
« Reply #332 on: December 26, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »

Sounds vicious indeed.   Smiley

I am thinking of maybe the necromancer mansion being built on a foundation of dead bodies. The PCs are likely to try to infiltrate the mansion through the undercroft and foundation because the island on which it is built is surrounded by an invisible force field.

This field is somewhat like a Wall of Force only dome shaped over the entire island. However, the PCs have discovered a tunnel underneath the dome and are preparing to go in that way.

I could see the "tunnels" of the foundation looking a strange light grey color and, as the PCs continue on, start to writhe, revealing hands and faces that push against the veneer of flesh to reach for them. Sounds rather creepy. Any further ideas for the necromancer mansion built on a swamp island?
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »

I know you mentioned the Mansion using the build from bodies idea. I kind of get the feel of a possible Davey Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean with his crew aboard the Flying Dutchmen. Part of the crew part of the ship. When the sailors started to get older and were less useful they would become one with the ship and their bodies would fill in gaps and holes.

With the idea of them reaching out for the party in other parts on the mansion you could literally have zombies and skeletons pop out of the wall and start fighting. Would add to the over all creepiness of the mansion and never knowing which hall is going to come to life and attack them next.

Never underestimate the power of suggestion. If you imitate some sounds they may be hearing low moans and drawn out groans. Whispers form those who have be twisted and warped into the walls but aren't fully dead yet or undead rather.

I'm not sure why but I always feel Golems to be appropriate for this type of setting. For the Necromance maybe he has a few Half-golem as experiments that have gone wrong.

I might have more later but that's all I can come up with at the moment.

Navarre
« Reply #334 on: December 26, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »

oooh. Flesh Golems!

Great idea!

The necromancer is one nasty piece of work. She was having an incestuous relationship with one of her sisters, who was later killed by their father. But she reanimated her to keep her around, preserved and active but not resurrected. Just necrophiliac lesbian incest while they plotted to overtake the empire.

ick, on all counts

So the creepier the better with this chick.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 26, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »

Necromancers should have acid lying around to melt the flesh off of bones right? Acid Traps sound like fun.

Since we're on the topic of traps Mimics are always fun.

Dread Guard could make a nice addition. The necromancer kills people turn's them into undead horrors and reanimates their armor as well creating 2 soldiers from 1.

I feel like there is something else so obvious that is should be smacking me in the face with a 2x4. Maybe some sleep will help me think.

sliksham
Snorkasaurus

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 27, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »

Necromancers need something else as well as the 'undead factor'
Wizards are supposed to be smart, so there needs to be a plan B for when someone walks in and smites the rest of your forces with untold godliness.
this can range from the simple but classic rust monster trap to having the relatives and friends of the 'undead' being part of the forces, love is a strong bond and whereas we see a rotting skeletal warrior they would see uncle Kieth who was just doing his duty and if you keep an eye on him he's pretty much the same guy really...
Navarre
« Reply #337 on: December 27, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »

having the relatives and friends of the 'undead' being part of the forces, love is a strong bond and whereas we see a rotting skeletal warrior they would see uncle Kieth who was just doing his duty and if you keep an eye on him he's pretty much the same guy really...

Yeah, everybody loves Uncle Keith. Sure, he eats brains once in a while (from the living) but he does that cool party trick where he pulls off his own arm and uses it to hit the pinata.

Grin

I agree that the necromancer needs more than just undead, although that is usually a staple. She serves Winter (a god) so something along those lines would work.

The party has a Paladin to turn undead and the necromancer's sister (who also uses cold-based magic). The party also has a teleporter. So I'll need some clever things to vex them.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 27, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »

Non undead creatures to add to the nastyness

Random rats and rat swarms here and there. You'll have to level up their HD a little but rats can easily make filler for lower level fights maybe even chuck int a wererat or 2

A pet Basalisk

The forst type chick could have a few water elementals or maybe a frost giant

Gargoyle to add to the random creatures that attack from walls.

Hags . . .  you are in a swamp after all.

Gelatinous Cube or something from the Ooze family might be nice to stick in there some where.

Navarre
« Reply #339 on: December 27, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »

There is a coven of hags that live in the swamp. Although they are enemies of the necromancer because she forced them out of their ancestral home (the one of which we are speaking) and is partly responsible for them being hags in the first place.

I do like gelatinous cubes. Those can be pretty challenging.

I need to make sure to slow the party teleporter down. That's difficult as his ability to teleport comes from an artifact in his possession.

Besides just monsters, I was trying to think of some magical or otherwise cleverness a 15th level necromancer wizard might be able to pull off to protect her home.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 27, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »

I still like Acid as a trap. Maybe there are walls of acid flowing through the house cutting off sections. With out knowing how far to jump and what's on the other side the teleporter  wont be able to jump around it. This can be deactivated by finding levers or solving riddles which will get the party thinking.

If his artifact teleportation is magical in nature maybe there are anti magic zones in the house. Nothing that covers the entire home of course or you spell caster might get upset about not being as effective.

Navarre
« Reply #341 on: December 27, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »

The teleporter has been in one section of the house before but if the lower sections have the anti-magic then it could make them get there the hard way. It would have to be something very powerful to throw off this artifact.

I was thinking though maybe the necromancer, knowing she might be invaded, altered the house magically so even if they jumped they ended up in the wrong place...where something eeee-vil lurks?

A setup that would allow the jump in the first place but not an escape jump after they end up in (whatever is the trap) might be fun.

One of these, or a variation, maybe?

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/traps.htm
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 27, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »

I like the jump ending somewhere random that's a nice touch. It doesn't always have to be where something evil lies in wait either. Forcing them to teleport back out side the mansion could be just as frustrating. Traps were never one of my strong suits when it came to dungeon creation.

Navarre
« Reply #343 on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »

I seem to make less dungeons as time goes on. I think I've just become lazy after 31 years of DMing.

I tend to kind of wing things as I go; having the plot but creating environments on the fly. So having some specific encounters/traps would be good, as a couple of my players (one of them being the wizard) are pretty experienced.
Revenant Sorrow
Not the Mama

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 27, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »

When in doubt pit fall traps! 1d10 fall damage from falling 1 floor can be fun to use.

I had a abandon castle that was taken over by goblins that the party had to retake so they could get their crops back (they were from a peasant farm village). There were a few tiles on the 6th floor that would let them fall back to the first floor. We lost 2 party members from 6d10 fall damage. While cruel and horribly twisted it was fun to watch them nervously tip toe through the dungeon when none of them had a decent spot or search check to see the cracks in the floor.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: