Major Spoilers Forum
April 18, 2014, 12:33:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Have a question for Matthew, Stephen and Rodrigo? Send it to podcast@majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Major Spoilers Best of 2012  (Read 5620 times)
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »

I understand what you are saying and I believe it, I just don't like it Smiley

If the comics are still the genesis of the story-telling, things aren't going well with many of the IPs outside of the current popular ones (Avengers) and, if that holds true, I don't see a difference between DC having just a handful of marketable characters and justifying a reboot and Marvel having the same sort of situation. A-Listers aren't the ones needing invigoration and, from your argument (one I'm tending to agree with) that's not what comics are for anyways Smiley
So why reboot DC at all, unless it was to boost the book sales? If Marvel's sales dip, why not reboot? It still allows this whole farm to test things but offers a chance to boost those sales

Extremes are always wrong.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:01 PM »

I think that Loopers is going to be the sleeper hit of the year in the moving pictures. The premise is very cool.

Xian
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

If the comics are still the genesis of the story-telling, things aren't going well with many of the IPs outside of the current popular ones (Avengers) and, if that holds true, I don't see a difference between DC having just a handful of marketable characters and justifying a reboot and Marvel having the same sort of situation.
Not just storytelling but fostering design, creators, and brand recognition.  Obviously they don't need all 5000 characters to be equally successful, but Marvel's spiral into bankruptcy in the 90s created the unexpected side benefit of massively expanding its brand awareness and loyalty... by selling its licenses out to a ton of producers, contingent on them actually producing, we got a glut of Marvel materials from everyone but Marvel (Sony, FOX, Paramount, etc).  The fact that flagship properties like Spidey, Hulk,  X-Men, Punisher, and Fantastic Four were licensed away forced Marvel to work on other properties which enhanced the brand as a whole.  The royalties and recognition rebounded Marvel in a big way, leading to Marvel Studios and the pure profit of Iron Man... the Disney's buy out was the final proof.  Look at it this way, you don't pay $4.3 billion for a company just so you can make $25 million in publishing... what you want is the licensing, the movies, etc.  Marvel Entertainment has delivered so Disney isn't going to meddle UNLESS Marvel does something to upset that LIKE rebooting.

So why reboot DC at all, unless it was to boost the book sales? If Marvel's sales dip, why not reboot? It still allows this whole farm to test things but offers a chance to boost those sales
DC has kept its properties in house and sees more direct profit but at the expense of proliferation and as such started to suffer massive slip in mindshare and branding.  Batman is main DC brand with Superman a distant second (and beyond that it gets sad, Lois Lane's license value actually exceeds Wonder Woman's despite her in-story "trinity" role).  DC needs material to shore up its adaptable material and core characters before it can branch out... I mean, the well for GL was so dry they went to Parallax already!  The problem is if you're behind on mindshare you're going to hemorrhage creators... if not in this generation then in the next with those who grow up Marvel Zombies.  Even if you manage to wrangle them into lucrative exclusive contracts, their hearts are still with the other house or they hold back for creator material.  A major non-economic way to prevent creator loss or creative restraint is to reboot.  If you tell someone they are going to make their mark on a character for the history books, it will entice creators to stay and spur them to do their best work.  I honestly believe the reboot was in large part to retain creators that were defecting to Marvel or indie work, kick them out of complacency, AND recapture mindshare from Marvel and lapsed readers.  Yes, book sales reflect a lot of that, but I don't think its the end goal otherwise it is a lot of headache for a fairly minor short term boost (again, realizing that Bat book dollars aren't even in the same order of magnitude as Bat toy, game, film money) more easily gained elsewhere.

Outside of events and pre-New 52, Marvel was roughly outselling DC 2-to-1.  Now $25 to $13 million difference, isn't going to even register to parent companies like Disney or Warner.  But when that publishing gap suddenly becomes a $6 billion to $1 billion brand value gap, Warner is going to stand up and take notice and try to make up the difference.  It is definitely a "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude since Warner was fully content to leave DC alone when Marvel's brand hovered around $1.5 billion (irrespective of publishing differences)... but when Marvel started capitalizing on its IP and Warner finished with Potter, they wanted to see similar returns.  The relaunch, in many respects, is massive testing ground for determining "who is [insert hero] to modern audiences?" engine for Warner.  They STILL don't know how to answer those questions for viable brands like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash... and even struggled with it in Superman Returns (where, fortunately for them, the brand was stronger than the film, but unfortunately for them the film failed to match the brand... as a rule, the brand does not stand for angst, stalking, deadbeat father to a super-powered bastard, "hero" who never punches a single thing and doesn't get the girl).  They need- desperately- to farm those ideas for their core characters in a modern context because prior they were very much running on loyalty and- in some respects- autopilot (you know and accept the tropes, the powers, the icon, but don't need to examine any further how that is relevant or works in a modern context- in large part why Identity Crisis was controversial and game changing for the DCU in terms of writing style hence forth).

Marvel doesn't have that problem for its flagship characters and many of its minor characters.  They may be less iconic, famous, or familiar, but it is more clear how they relate to the modern audience and thus more easily adaptable (alternatively, you can say because they're more obscure audiences are more willing to accept broader interpretations than with DC characters).  Further, they're reaping $6 billion in brand.  Why would they upset that by retreading, reinventing, etc. just to get another measly $20m?  We know how Iron Man works, we got his modern voice... why would you compromise that with a new version when you're already reaping the benefits?  Imagine if Ultimate Iron Man was the rebooted Iron Man right after the film release.  So instead of Fraction continuing to develop character fodder for the sequels we have this really odd Orson Scott Card take that hasn't been proven a success (and, in fact, much- if not most- of his Ultimate unique characteristics have been written out of / forgotten the current character such that Ultimate Tony Stark is more or less a duplicate of the film / 616 character).

It's pretty self-evident when you consider the two DC franchises that were, essentially, untouched- Batman and Green Lantern.  It supports a number of propositions- creator retention (Morrison and Johns planted their flags on these franchises so rather than slap them in the face, DC honors their work and gives them new high profile franchises), merchandising success (Dark Knight and the GL film- despite under performing- is still a merchandise monster for Warner)- and modernization / mining (Johns' claim to fame in his career and Morrison's trademark for books like New X-Men or daring to give Bruce a son, a death, or an international mission).  With the other flagships lacking that, Warner is more apt to push DC to get that.
Navarre
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »

It's a shame this isn't its own thread. This is a great discussion.   Smiley
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »

It's a shame this isn't its own thread. This is a great discussion.   Smiley

I know. You know your stuff, Xian. I can't argue with any of it.

I don't know if I want to kick you in the balls or shake your hand Smiley but I can't argue with any of it. Its solid as shit and makes sense.

Its almost just as uplifting for the future of books as it is depressing in the brash 21st century corporate spaghetti monster era Smiley

But, as Nav alluded to, we are WAY off topic, so,

I think that Loopers is going to be the sleeper hit of the year in the moving pictures. The premise is very cool.

And Brave Pixar never disappoints.

Navarre
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »

I think the title is just "Looper". Had to look it up on IMDB because I hadn't heard of it.

It sounds very interesting...even though half the viewers will claim it's a rip-off of [insert movie title here] and/or claim massive plot holes over things they don't understand. Such is the way of movie-viewing and public opinion.
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 06:56:31 AM »

My favorite part of Major Spoilers 2012 was actually in Critical Hit.  I enjoyed seeing Rodrigo play a character, and there was the time in that one episode when Rob & Stephen managed to aggravate Matthew and he said that witty remark that referenced that thing.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
mguy1977
Egg

Superman is the Man of Steel!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 03:34:19 AM »

TV Returning:

The Walking Dead --  Bring on October & the Rick-torship.  Plus put some common sense into Lori  when the series returns.
Two & a half Men  --  I want to see how the series wraps up
Mike & Molly --  Can a overweight cop & teacher get married without their families driving them both nuts by the season finale?
Law & Order SVU -- Cops doing what they do best catching the bad guys/gals & let the law throw the dang book at them.
The Amazing Race -- Teams running here & there for a lot of dough to finish first in the last leg of the race
The Big Bang Theory -- Two geeky nerds sharing an apt w/ fights, a blonde who is very sassy that puts up w/ a lot of royal BS from Sheldon + Blossom returned to tv.

TV New:
Two Broke Girls  -- One sassy brunette w/ attitude & a high class blonde brought down 30 pegs.

Movies:
Dark Knight Rises  -- It is Batman of course I will watch it. It isn't stupid Twilight after all, 3D Titantic or a sappy Nicholas Sparks film.  Batman & the new Catwoman.  
007 Skyfall  -- James Bond Shaken not stirred w/ some Bond girls added for great measure. 

Matthew
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:36:13 AM by mguy1977 » Logged
mguy1977
Egg

Superman is the Man of Steel!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 03:37:18 AM »

TV Returning:

The Walking Dead --  Bring on October & the Rick-torship.  Plus put some common sense into Lori  when the series returns.
Two & a half Men  --  I want to see how the series wraps up
Mike & Molly --  Can a overweight cop & teacher get married without their families driving them both nuts by the season finale?
Law & Order SVU -- Cops doing what they do best catching the bad guys/gals & let the law throw the dang book at them.
The Amazing Race -- Teams running here & there for a lot of dough to finish first in the last leg of the race
The Big Bang Theory -- Two geeky nerds sharing an apt w/ arguments & discussions, a blonde who is very sassy that puts up w/ a lot of royal BS from Sheldon + Blossom returned to tv.

TV New:
Two Broke Girls  -- One sassy brunette w/ attitude & a high class blonde brought down 30 pegs.

Movies:
Dark Knight Rises  -- It is Batman of course I will watch it. It isn't stupid Twilight after all, 3D Titantic or a sappy Nicholas Sparks film.  Batman & the new Catwoman.  
007 Skyfall  -- James Bond Shaken not stirred w/ some Bond girls added for great measure. 

Matthew

cindyjohn
Egg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »

great
J_Michael_t
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »

1. Adding Trelle to the Critical Hit team. There was nothing wrong with the stories/gameplay before her, but adding her added an interesting dynamic to the mix.
2. Adding Zach to the MSP. Again, a great podcast made better.
3. Matthew unveils his 'Theory of Franklin' in the Marvel U.
4. MunchkinLand and Top Five.
5. The new look and feel of the website.

Looking forward to whatever new machinations are developing in Stephen's head for 2013!
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 05:19:02 AM »

Saga is by far the best thing about comics to happen this year. I've been picking it up month to month and the wait is killing me!

As for Major Spoilers, I agree with J_Michael_t that adding Zach to the MSP has been really awesome. He is able to hold his own and carve out his place amongst some strong personalities. Kudos!

Personally, the best thing about 2012 was marrying my beautiful wife in August. We've known each other since we were 3 years old (grew up on the same street in a small town).

Here's to hoping for much more awesomeness in 2013!
Elijah
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »

All the new writers! Especially that Elijah kid...

Seriously though,

- The successful crossover movie event that was The Avengers
- Matthew admitting he was wrong that The Avengers could never work on film
- Zach
- The end of Nolan's stellar Batman trilogy
- Marvel NOW, especially Avengers, Thor: God of Thunder, and Captain America.
- The continuation of DC's new 52 (I didn't think they would stick with it).
- Disney buying Lucasfilms and announcing new Star Wars movies.
- The Man of Steel trailer
- Premier Pulp Comics, a small comic making/publishing group I go into, and as a result; made my first and second comics with a wonderful artist from Chile.
- And last, but not least, all the wonderful Major Spoilers audio content we got!
Pearce
Rootwalla

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 04:10:32 AM »

All the new writers! Especially that Elijah kid...

I know you were joking, but there's something I found awesome about your reviews, and that's the fact that you always seem to pick different books to review instead of always going for your favourites. Way to spread the love Smiley

Keep up the good work in 2013!
Elijah
Egg

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

I am adding two more things to my list:

- Danger Club, a truly excellent comic

- Alphas, a surprisingly good superhero TV show.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: