Major Spoilers Forum
April 18, 2014, 10:51:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Consider a donation to the Major Spoilers cause. On the main site click the "Make a Donation" button on the right hand column.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skylanders: Spyros Adventure  (Read 2540 times)
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »

Has anyone seen this game???

I was never a big fan of the Spyro games other than a little fun to play for a couple hours when I was sick.  However, I am so very interested in this new game because it's the sort of game I've always wished existed.

There are all these little figures you can buy, actual physical figures that you can hold in your hand.  The figures have some sort of chip or memory card inside them that keep details of your gameplay and can transfer that info to other copies of the game even across consoles (For instance, if I have the PC version and my nephew has the PS3 version, I can still use my figure with his game and still have my character stats from my own game).  There are also little multi-packs that include new levels along with the new figures.

It's obviously aimed at a younger crowd (teens and younger) but I find the whole thing absolutely fascinating, and I'm not alone

Now if only they would make a Digimon game using a similar premise and I'd be in heaven.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
sliksham
Denver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:06:02 AM »

The concept of a 'kids' game where to buy the game and all the characters would cost you somewhere around £160 sickens me, whilst at the same time harbouring a grudging respect for the marketing genius that came up with the idea.

Cool concept though.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »

The concept of a 'kids' game where to buy the game and all the characters would cost you somewhere around £160 sickens me, whilst at the same time harbouring a grudging respect for the marketing genius that came up with the idea.

Cool concept though.

It is a bit pricey to get ALL the figures, but I kinda see it as less about having them all and more like having a choice for which ones you like over others.  There are only so many creature types, so instead of being stuck with everyone having the exact same kind of that type, there is a variety that can be chosen from.  I'm sure some kids will want them all, but I still think the variety is a pretty good idea.

If/when I get it, I'm only planning to grab a few of the extra figures, mostly by grabbing a multi-pack or two (for the new level unlocks as well as the value) and maybe one or two individual figures.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »

FINALLY have this game as one of this year's Christmas gifts.  Better late than never.

I thought by now the novelty of the idea would have worn off or I'd at least be less interested than I was a year ago, but I seem to be just as hooked as when I first heard of the game.  I held off playing the game until I could get an extra figure just for the sake of having one, and I'm impressed with the way the game can be played without extra figures other than the starters, the extras merely add more possibilities to the game (some areas that are non-essential can only be unlocked by a Skylander of a certain element and some areas make a certain element's attacks stronger).  There is almost no wait time when swapping characters (by taking one off the portal item and placing another on) and the gameplay isn't too hard yet still challenging enough. 

My current goal is to collect at least one figure from each element (only need 3 more of the 8 elemental types in the game), one of the expansion packs (which include a figure or two, an area unlock and some items) and try to get one of the Legendary figures.  I have no plans to collect every figure, but I will be keeping an eye out for promos and variants just in case the figure I want (Dark Spyro, which is normally exclusive to the 3DS version of the game) becomes available. 

I'm also happy to see that the sequel game, Skylanders Giants, has a "Portal Owner's Pack" for a cheaper price than a starter pack (because as the name implies, it doesn't contain the Portal item).  This means I won't need to shell out extra for something I already have if I ever get it. 

schleicher12000
The Grand Master
Administrator
Velociraptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »

Got Spyros Adventure and Giants plus 20 figures for The Boy for Christmas this year.  He's loving it, but since he's still a bit young to do the dual controller on the Wii, we've been playing it together.  He gets to pick the Skylanders and I do all the work Wink  We're about halfway done with Giants.

Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:46:28 AM »

My son who is Five also received this gift for Christmas, but the Giants version.  (We skipped Spyros)
My son has figured it out and loves playing it.  The biggest obstacle for him is that darn reading thing which is something he is still working on.  I stick around to monitor his game play, but aside from in game buying of things, he does pretty wellon his own.
An added plus is that you can play with the Skylanders as if they were figures, no points of articulation, but still playable in that fashion.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »

An added plus is that you can play with the Skylanders as if they were figures, no points of articulation, but still playable in that fashion.

I've already figured if I ever get another tabletop RPG game going and need some physical representation for NPC characters or enemies (particularly if I'm using it as a map marker), I could always grab a couple of the Skylanders figures I have for that.  Between all the types of mythological and fantasy creatures they have, I'm sure those in my collection could all be suitable for something or other (dragons, treants, goblins, etc).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: