Major Spoilers Forum
July 31, 2014, 02:23:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow Major Spoilers on Twitter! @MajorSpoilers, @FearsomeCritter, @MightyKingCobra

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What has Gail Simone quit?  (Read 2091 times)
greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:50:14 AM »

Was just reading the Newsarama interview that Jill Pantozzi did with Gail Simone over the Batgirl kerfuffle (still curious to read a review from Jill on the #1 issue), but one line from it made me curious:

And I also think that people who know me and my work at all know I would rather quit than do something with these characters that I felt was evil. I've walked off books before for that reason, more than once.

So how many times has Gail Simone walked off books? Anyone know which books or the circumstances? I'm criminally out of the loop on this kind of stuff.
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »

Via Wikipedia

"When Deadpool was canceled and relaunched as Agent X, Simone continued as writer, but eventually left the series after a conflict with the series' editor."

Although it goes on to say

"Simone did, however, return to pen the concluding arc to Agent X, some months after the series' initial cancellation."

I liked her Welcome to Tranquility series. Still think it would make an excellent tv series.

Extremes are always wrong.
greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »

So that's it? One book?

Pretty sh**ty that her walking off that one book meant she was barred from Marvel, but I took from her comment that there were at least a couple of examples.
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »

So that's it? One book?

Pretty sh**ty that her walking off that one book meant she was barred from Marvel, but I took from her comment that there were at least a couple of examples.

Is it a "barred from Marvel" or a matter of Gail just not wanting to work for them? I know J. Michael Stracynski had a similar issue while in the Thor book early in its current return. IDK, really, but it seems like Marvel loves you and you build their entire universe for them or you stay in line like a good writer or they simply kick you to the curb. Is hasn't hurt sales, though. Probably much ado about nothing. I'm sure creators and publishers butt heads all the time over things. Creation equates to passion and that can often get heated.

greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:17:11 PM »

Point. Wikipedia just says she hasn't worked with them since. I was just assuming that meant she hasn't been asked.

Funny, though. The article made it sound like she's shown a pattern of willingness to walk away from books that were forced in directions she didn't appreciate.

Was I reading into that as well?
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »

Point. Wikipedia just says she hasn't worked with them since. I was just assuming that meant she hasn't been asked.

Funny, though. The article made it sound like she's shown a pattern of willingness to walk away from books that were forced in directions she didn't appreciate.

I don't think so, I think most creative types who work on comics are of this.

Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »

I don't think you were reading into it too much, because it seems that many writers in any medium are like that.   For example, Karen Traviss, who wrote the "Republic Commando" novels as well as a few other books featuring Mandalorians, walked away from writing for the Star Wars books due to being told to alter her work as well as that her previous work was being retconned (there were also a few issues with payment, but the focus seemed to be on being told to take her work in a direction she wasn't happy with). She didn't own the characters, much like many comic writers, but she still wasn't willing to go against the flow of what she felt was her story to tell. 

They aren't the first and won't be the last. 

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »

Unfortunately that is one of the reasons why continuity can be a creativity killer.  Too many rules and tidbits of irrelevant material in one's mind holds back the process from moving forward into a realm not before traversed.
 I can understand that.  One of the reasons that I keep away from the "Modern" Star Wars fare and tend to stick to the KOTOR material is because of the freedom to explore that which is unknown.  Using Luke, Chewie or another to do that very thing has not been very rewarding because too many of the novels tried to give face time to too many characters.  Being a Legion fan I know how to deal with a large cast, but the Stories for me were too watered down and unable to develop the leads because of the film continuity.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: