Major Spoilers Forum
July 24, 2014, 12:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow Major Spoilers on Twitter! @MajorSpoilers, @FearsomeCritter, @MightyKingCobra
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: Shadow War campaign In-Game: Chapter 65- Kallum's Hold  (Read 32575 times)
Navarre
Guest
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »

The Shadow War

Chapter 65
Kallum's Hold


From within the sealed bronze Chamber of the Sun and Moon you feel virtually nothing as Faerun makes his Nexus jump. But, seeing the look on Faerun's face, you all know it seems to have been successful.

Master Ng-Lau and the other Masters of the Lone Pine look about curiously.

"Hmm. I was expecting maybe a flash of light. The resounding peal of a gong even," remarks Master Ng-Lau.

"Disappointing," the old man sighs, seeming very much younger at heart than his features convey.

Vinnrog moves to the door of the chamber as Aphra and Erika's hands move to their weapons. Listening but hearing nothing, the barbarian opens the door to the chamber.

The air that rushes into the chamber is cold, but dryer than that of the nameless mountain. The door scrapes harshly on the permanently frosted ground as Vinnrog pushes harder.

Beyond you no longer see the spectacular aerial view of the mountains of Dyre. Instead, you see a great natural wall of granite mixed with other stones that runs hundreds of feet in front of you from the right side of the chamber.

You take a second to glance at the sky, finding yourselves facing westward; as was the chamber when Faerun made the jump. The sky is blood and ash; dark red clouds hanging in scarlet.

The granite wall rises so high it seems to touch that scarlet vault. But it is the true blood staining the rock that catches your attention.

The bloodfall was turned The Devil's Maw into an even more frightening scene. The deluge of blood has run down the sides of the high ravine, making the canyon look as if a massacre of unimaginable proportions has occurred here.

The Chamber of the Sun and Moon sits on a narrow ledge, only about twice as wide as the chamber itself. But it appears steady and Bedlor seems to have no doubt of that. After the shifting platform at the Lone Pine that drew Rachel to her death, it is a small relief.

Below the ledge, however, you see a vast drop far deeper than that of the nameless mountain. The Devil's Maw falls away farther than any eye can see.

The walls of this chasm seem to shift precariously. At first one might assume it to only be a trick of the forced perspective but Bedlor knows that the entirety of The Devil's Maw below this ledge is so unstable that is is avoided at all costs, even by the intrepid dwarves.

At the far end of the short, narrow ledge on which you now stand, a door can be seen. As round as a wheel and almost five feet high, the door sits flush with the natural wall in which it rests.

You can see bas-relief of Dwarven runes covering the door. Though you cannot read them from here, Bedlor knows this door; having chosen it for the jump.

It is the outer door leading from The Devil's Maw into Kallum's Hold, ancestral homeland of the Dwarves.
Logged
sab39
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50
*********
Posts: 10848

Ooh! Synchronizers!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »

"Where to, Bedlam?"
Logged
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50
*********
Posts: 11306


High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

{I'm not quite sure Smiley}

Bed strolls over to the door and gives it a look

"Hmm, let's be spreadin' out an' gettin' a look 'round, but be mindin' yer feet an' watchin to not be fallin'."

Logged

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
Guest
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »

You make your way carefully out onto the ledge over The Devil's Maw. The drop is dizzying. The rocks below you seem to move of their own accord, flowing like quicksand about a yawning abyss.

Vinnrog leans his head cautiously over the edge and peers down. He spits into the Maw, watching the thick fluid fall out of sight.

"Long way down, uh-huh."

Bedlor, you take the lead along the ledge. Your dwarven senses spin a bit with the Maw below you.

You remember why the Dwarves avoid this place, a region of so much shifting stone that even the steadiest of Pass Warders could find themselves plummeting to their death if they didn't take care. You find yourself gripping the haft of Warsong just a little tighter, relying on his ability to keep you on your feet.

Your eyes cover the breadth of The Devil's Maw carefully as you move, searching for any sign of danger or disturbance. But removed from the more traversable parts of Carrigan's Pass, it looks only as you have seen it the few times you have checked the door from the other side.

You cannot help but notice the stains of the bloodfall, however. Great swaths of crimson mar the granite walls from above, trailing into tapering, dried blood from the Ravager's coming only two days ago.

It is at your approach to the great door that you hear a slight squishing sound. Your leather boot comes away sticky from the ledge floor, dark red-black staining the sole.

The blood at the door is not the remnants of the bloodfall. It cannot be even an hour old!
Logged
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50
*********
Posts: 11306


High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro


View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »

"Fresh blood.

There be fresh blood on this door. Newer than that that be fallin' from the sky. Be ready, there could 'ave been a battle. Are we too late?"


Bed checks the ground for tracks and such, like the signs of a battle.

"Watcher, do ye be seein' anyone else in the area we now be standin'? I be fearin' us too late to be stoppin' the fightin' 'ere."
Logged

Extremes are always wrong.
sab39
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50
*********
Posts: 10848

Ooh! Synchronizers!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »

I look around the grey realm for any spirits.
Logged
Navarre
Guest
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »

Uma replies, "I sense many nearing your area, yet none currently in the place you call The Devil's Maw."

T'Ning, you see no sign of spirits.

Bedlor, you examine the ground for tracks. You do find the blood to be smeared. It does not appear that the smears happened later but that something dragged the person bleeding from their position.

You investigate further. You determine there was more than one person bleeding. From the prints you would take them to be dwarves, perhaps six in all.

Tracking the direction of the smeared blood, it looks as if something snared these dwarves, dragging them back through the door. The blood congeals heavily around the bottom arc of the sealed door that, to you, is quite large.

A single bloody print, made from half a hand, stains the side of the wall at the edge of the door; the last sign of someone trying desperately to prevent being dragged back through the portal.
Logged
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50
*********
Posts: 11306


High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro


View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »

"We be 'avin' folks approachin' our position...

Sure'n that be the knights. But these marks...

It be lookin' as though dwarves be snared, caught...

But dragged into the Hold?"


Bedlor grabs both his weapons firmly

"Could the Hold 'ave been taken? Sure'n these dwarves that be snared were the Warders waitin' to ambush the comin' knights."

"Can ye see in the Hold?"
Logged

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
Guest
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »

Uma replies.

"Something is blocking my ability to perceive the area beyond the door."

"That...is not possible."
Logged
Navarre
Guest
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »

Vinnrog looks over the door, stating the obvious.

"Little door has no knob, only funny writing."

You are reminded of the single-minded mindset of your kin. There is no reason to place a latch on a door that was never meant to be opened from this side.

The door to The Devil's Maw was designed to keep outsiders, well, out.
Logged
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50
*********
Posts: 11306


High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro


View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »

"Should we be goin' in now, mates? Or waitin' fer those that be on their way?

I be seein' a fight o' some sort either way. Less bloody o' such if'n we be speakin' to those knights we be thinkin' be comin'.

I say we be openin' this door an' killin' whate'er be doin' the same to these dwarves 'ere. 'Aps the newcomers can be 'elpin' wit' that.

We should be givin' things a wait I be thinkin'."


"'Ow far off be the comers?"

{Any idea on how long ago the dwarves got pwned?}

"This door ain't meant to be openin' from this side. It be made more like a wall on this end."

Bed reads the runes or writing around the door.
Logged

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
Guest
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »

You can tell that whatever befell the Pass Warders occurred within the last hour.

Uma's reply reaches you.

"The Legion from Albemarle Green will arrive within the next hour from the south of the chasm. The Eastland party is only a few minutes behind them as they approach from the east."

While allowing your comrades to consider and reply, you read the runes on the door. The script is Dwarven and bold.

"Never'll be the scourge stalking our lands.
The Devil's Maw take you at your intrusion.
This pass be the Hold of the greatest of Ashearea-forged.
Entrance is denied you this day and forever more.
We be the Pass Warders,
the Dwarve's of Kallum's Hold."
Logged
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50
*********
Posts: 11306


High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro


View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »

"Ye old wielder been through these parts in 'is day, Dubya? Ye be knowin' anythin' o' this door?"
Logged

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
Guest
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 01:13:44 PM »

<Kallum did not pass this way. In my time, the Dwarves lived at Enghart, far to the north where the Hartland Road crossed the Vaadjori Plains.>

<These mountains were taken by the Dwarves after the Ascension, when Gallia Forest became the world you know today. I do not know of this door.>


{Good try though.  Smiley }
Logged
Web.Metz
The (Harryhausen) Kraken
********
Posts: 9535


PCs: Faerun, Chromatic, Pin


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »

Faerun, alarmed at the blood, checks for magic and the Grey Realm in the area.
Logged

Science
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!