Major Spoilers Forum
July 23, 2014, 11:16:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you follow @majorspoilers on twitter you'll be the first to know when the new Critical Hit podcast goes up on iTunes.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Living in Europe  (Read 7250 times)
Navarre
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:57:16 PM »

There are many things that have left me rather disillusioned with living in the United States. I still think it is a great country and I'm not knocking it but I am curious about life in other countries.

One that has caught my attention so far is Denmark. Although the weather sounds (to me, a sun lover) as way too cold, there are many things that sound appealing.

Would any of the members who live or have lived in Europe (and that means Great Britain too, in case you think it's not part of Europe) like to give their opinions of living there?
Andreas
Charmander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »

One that has caught my attention so far is Denmark. Although the weather sounds (to me, a sun lover) as way too cold, there are many things that sound appealing.

Seen the viral comercial for Wonderful Copenhagen have we.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiKRA-syT5M

Dr. Zoidberg: So many memories, so many strange fluids gushing out of patients' bodies..
Navarre
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »

Nope, I hadn't seen that vid.

But the percentage of people in Denmark that describe themselves as happy is very high. You have free health care, pay for at least some of university, and are very good about paying unemployment while people look for work. Although the tax rate is very high, the money actually goes to helping the citizens in ways the average citizen directly experiences.

It seems that people can be sexually open without having a Bible thrown at them. In fact, there seem to be a fair percentage of atheists.

It does not seem that people are as focused on the legalities and technicalities of marriage as they are the quality of the relationship itself. People seem to take good physical care of themselves, crime is low, and overall it just seems like a good place to live.

Of course, this is all my perception based on nearly zero hard evidence. So I would like to hear from someone who actually lives there.
Larry King
Trandoshan Bounty Hunter

Man of 1000 faces!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »

Part of me wants to live in Italy, but with the transit/sanitation strikes I don really think I'd like it, since the views couldn't beat out the smell of month old mountains of trash. I was told by a guy who worked for the Department of State as a paper pusher that Odessa, Ukraine is a nice place, affordable living, and friendly people.

I'm real, because my invisible friend tells me so.
Navarre
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

I was told by a guy who worked for the Department of State as a paper pusher that Odessa, Ukraine is a nice place, affordable living, and friendly people.

It seems like a lot of the locations that are supposed to be great places to live have cold climates.
Larry King
Trandoshan Bounty Hunter

Man of 1000 faces!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »

I was told by a guy who worked for the Department of State as a paper pusher that Odessa, Ukraine is a nice place, affordable living, and friendly people.

It seems like a lot of the locations that are supposed to be great places to live have cold climates.
Yeah, and a melted down nuclear reactor that might decide to burn through the concrete and cause some trouble.

Navarre
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »

Yeah, and a melted down nuclear reactor that might decide to burn through the concrete and cause some trouble.

But, on the plus side, I can use the radiation to grow bigger tomatoes and heat my chicken nuggets.
Larry King
Trandoshan Bounty Hunter

Man of 1000 faces!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »

But, on the plus side, I can use the radiation to grow bigger tomatoes and heat my chicken nuggets.
And your future offspring will look like Sloth from Goonies. They'd break hearts like chains.

Blackthunder01
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »

I used to have an in-law from Poland.  Guy turned out to be a real jerk.  I ever noticed 2 things that struck me as odd/something I couldn't live with. 

1. Easter Breakfast was a bunch of different cold sausages and slaw and beets and stuff.  Not very tasty when I was expecting eggs or ya know ... hot food.

2. The men of a household really keep their women under foot.  They tend to be very controlling and demanding while the women are (expected to be) very submissive and quiet.  This was the cause of a major fight when he expected my Puerto Rican sister-in-law to act the same way his Polish mother does.  All the male family I've ever met from his side acts this way.  I'm surprised my sister-in-law is still married to him.
Navarre
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »

Poland never struck me as a country where I'd be interested in living. I definitely want to live somewhere where men and women have equal rights as well as racial/ethnic/sexual diversity being accepted.
greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »

All people in Europe are ethnocentric racists! They're nothing like our wonderful American people!

Did you see what I did there? Because that was...it was meant to be funny. You get the...funny in that...right?

Wink
Navarre
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »

The United States of Buh-Gawd America is the best country in the world. It's not like those other continents, like Canada.

I hear some countries don't even have NASCAR.
Alisha Mynx
Not the Mama

Down Ali?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »

I hear some countries don't even have NASCAR.

They're making a left turn!  They're making a left turn!  They're making a left turn!  What are they gonna do next!?!?!?!   Cheesy

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.   -The Doctor
Navarre
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »

Yeah, exciting stuff, huh?  Roll Eyes

I could do my job from anywhere in the world I had high-speed internet access and a phone number my clients could call. I bet they have the internet in Europe.

I don't know how international phone rates would work so neither my client nor I go broke with the high volume of phone calls I handle.

But otherwise, if it wasn't for my children, I wouldn't have anything in the world stopping me from going anywhere I wanted. But I can't move my children to Europe and I couldn't bear not seeing them.

So there's where I'm kind of stuck.
greyman24
Not the Mama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »

Yeah, exciting stuff, huh?  Roll Eyes

I could do my job from anywhere in the world I had high-speed internet access and a phone number my clients could call. I bet they have the internet in Europe.

I don't know how international phone rates would work so neither my client nor I go broke with the high volume of phone calls I handle.

But otherwise, if it wasn't for my children, I wouldn't have anything in the world stopping me from going anywhere I wanted. But I can't move my children to Europe and I couldn't bear not seeing them.

So there's where I'm kind of stuck.

You can always set up conference bridges. I use them at work every day. This way, none of you have to dial around the world.

The biggest issue (outside of losing touch with your kids) would be time differences. People tend to discount how much that affects communication, but, having worked extensively with teams in India, England and The Netherlands, it can kind of screw you up. It isn't just the one-off calls at 8pm/9pm or 6am/7am, but the constant back and forth--sometimes knowing that a simple question won't be answered for 12 hours--can really get to you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: