Major Spoilers Forum
April 15, 2014, 11:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow Major Spoilers on Twitter! @MajorSpoilers, @FearsomeCritter, @MightyKingCobra

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The (Semi-) Fantastic Four  (Read 2550 times)
Navarre
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »

Fans talk all the time about the X-Men and the Avengers. Yet the Fantastic Four is supposed to be the first family of comics.

The FF really don't seem to generate that much discussion though. Why do you think that is?
Gaumer
Loch Ness Monster, US $3.50

High Inquisitor, Keeper of the Fro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »

IDK. Personally I haven't read the FF...ever. It just never seemed that interesting to me and I always saw another book I wanted more than the FF.

Until Jonathon Hickman jumped on board. I have a huge man crush on him so i get everything he puts out (and have not been disappointed)

Most times its easier to talk about something that isn't good. Hickman has been so spot on in my opinion that if the book got bad I would have a better reason to post. Its funny how we can get used to the good stuff

Extremes are always wrong.
Navarre
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »

I wonder if the team is too small and taken too much for granted.

We just assume Reed will be doing some big-brain experiment, Johnny will be kind of a jerk, Sue is sorta around, and Ben will say "It's Clobberin' Time!"

Maybe the FF needs something to get people to notice them.

I know! Wolverine could join!!
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »

He already did a few times.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
morpheus11
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »

And so did Spider-man.

Herald of the Navarre Dominion
Navarre
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »

True-true. Which still leaves me wondering what the FF need to get interest in their comic.

Should Sue decide thong bikinis are her new adventuring attire?
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »

True-true. Which still leaves me wondering what the FF need to get interest in their comic.

Should Sue decide thong bikinis are her new adventuring attire?

Go buy the last 4-6 issues. I dare you not to think its awesome.

Navarre
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »

It's not that I don't think the FF are awesome. It's that they don't seem to get the spotlight very much.

The mere fact that the title may indeed be awesome yet no one seems to be talking about it is an example of my point.
morpheus11
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »

I think part of the problem is that they have been around for so long without really changing. 

I preferred the Ultimate FF b/c it put them in a different scenario than I was used to seeing.

Herald of the Navarre Dominion
Navarre
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »

I haven't read the Ultimate FF. But I do think the team needs a shake-up.

There have been times when one or more of the members have been absent but, by and large, no one thinks of the FF as any way other than the original 4 members. With a team that small, it grows the risk of becoming stale.

So what would be a good plot that could happen that would bring some renewed interest in Marvel's supposed flagship title?
Slappy
Will Troll For Food!
Not the Mama

Mornin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 01:25:25 PM »

It could be revealed that Johnny is really the father of Franklin and that he and Sue have had that Flowers in the Attic relationship for years.

"Making good forum members wonder since July 2008!"
Navarre
Reply #371 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Navarre
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »

Well, THAT would certainly do it!

Going back to the Captain Un-American thread, if the writers are free to write anything, that is sure one topic that would shake up the reading world!

I wonder if Stan Lee thought of that one when he envisioned this comic?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:42:17 PM by Navarre » Logged
Gaumer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »

It's not that I don't think the FF are awesome. It's that they don't seem to get the spotlight very much.

The mere fact that the title may indeed be awesome yet no one seems to be talking about it is an example of my point.

Its like a fancy restaurant: who needs to be told over and over again that this place has great steak? If people know it, they know it, and it doesn't need to be spoken about again and again. Its when the steak starts to suck (or in this example, the Millar run) that people start to talk.

So no news is good news Smiley

MaximusRift
V

Oscar R. Labrador

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »

You could also say that since their is very liitle "Drastic Change!!" in the book, people tend not to talk about it.

Think about it. The membership hardly ever changes and when it does your absolutely certain that it will change back. Reed will always be the brain. Ben will be the New York schmo.  Johnny will never settle down.  Sue will be feminine and a bad-ass. ;p

And it will probably be that way unless Joey Q decides to expand his Anti-Marriage crusade.  Grin

Visit my friends Web Comic: The World According To Geek at http://twatgeek.com/index.html
Navarre
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »

Yeah, that's it. It feels like it's always status quo with them. And I can't fairly state that because I haven't read the book in years. But the perception of that may be shared by others, thus lending to the problem.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: