Major Spoilers Forum
July 22, 2014, 02:44:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Now you can make a recurring donation to Major Spoilers. Look for the button on the right-hand column of www.majorspoilers.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be featured in the next Comic Casting Couch article?  (Voting closed: October 21, 2009, 12:16:29 AM)
Black Cat (Marvel Comics) - 1 (7.7%)
Deadshot (DC Comics) - 1 (7.7%)
Power Girl (DC Comics) - 4 (30.8%)
Iron Fist (Marvel Comics) - 5 (38.5%)
Falcon (Marvel Comics) - 2 (15.4%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Help chose the next Comic Casting Couch subject!  (Read 5037 times)
Stacy B.
V

No, really, where am I?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:16:29 AM »

Hey all!

With any luck at all, the second installment of The Comic Casting Couch has hit the main site. Well, I am getting ready to do the third, but I got a little problem.

I currently have several ideas running around in my head, but am having a time figuring out which one I want to do. So I figured, hey, why not let the Spoilerites help decide?

In the little poll above, you see 5 names. These are the possibilities for the next Comic Casting Couch. Vote on which one you would like to see get the treatment the most, and I will do it. The poll will run for two weeks (14 days). After the poll expires, I will see which character won and will begin the newest edition of The Comic Casting Couch. It may be a week or so after the poll closes before I get the article submitted, but that is just because of life.

Also, I already have ideas for the above characters. Feel free to comment about who you wold like to see in what role, but know that I pretty much have the casting done. I have a specific set of rules I use to help me cast these, and often the ideas have been bouncing around in my head for a while.

So, get to voting! You got about 2 weeks to help decide!

Thanks in advance!

Navarre
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:00:09 AM »

I voted for the Falcon.

I like all of the other characters but there are reasons I didn't choose them.

Black Cat:

I really don't think another "bad girl" movie is going to work right now. She will get too many comparisons to Cat Woman.

I think when a feature film is made starring a female lead, the character needs to show some better qualities than what Felicia exhibits. I'm still waiting for a live action Wonder Woman film. I'm not necessarily a fan of Diana but the movie needs to be made.

Deadshot:

Too many bad guy/tough guy characters running around. It will too easily blur with the Deadpool movie, which I consider a terrible statement for comic books.

Power Girl:

Far better than Black Cat. It could work. She would be my second choice. But, honestly, her bust size is such a focus of the character I am once again not sure it's the right lead female character.

Iron Fist:

For some reason, martial arts heroes don't seem to do all that well at the box office. But I would love to see this movie.

If it were made, I would like to see it made in conjunction with a Luke Cage movie, leading into some Heroes for Hire feature films, including the supporting cast such as Colleen Wing and Misty Knight.

Even if this isn't the casting couch movie that wins I would love to hear your casting choices for it.

Falcon:

The Falcon has far too long been treated as nothing more than a supporting character for Captain America. He more than deserves the spotlight for a change.

I think there is benefit from giving a ethnic minority a feature film. I was happy with Hancock.

But both Hancock and Sam Wilson follow certain parallels, with the anger and prison term and all of that. Throw in Hancock's eagle companion and this is where the writers will need to be careful.

The Falcon can definitely be distinguished as his own character and needs to be written to do so.

But I think there may be a certain responsibility to stop giving us only big-bad characters like Wolverine, Deadpool, and Punisher and provide a few real role models. This is especially true for females and ethnically diverse characters.

The Falcon qualifies because his story shows character growth, embracing the responsibility his abilities provide without forgetting where he came from.

As far as who I would cast, I'm not very good at that. I'll wait for some ideas before I respond.

Great topic!
Stacy B.
V

No, really, where am I?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:04:36 PM »

Interesting.

Falcon had an early lead, but now Iron Fist has overtaken him.

The thing to remember is that, while I might be using the characters comic origins and adventures as a spring board, I have no trouble changing them to fit a 2 hour video format.

With the current one I have up at the main site, Black Lightning, I changed it to where Jefferson Pierce's father is alive during the movie. Also he is an ex-NFL player with a Lit Degree. I've got ideas for each of them that will try and change them to fit the format a little better. Sometimes it is just going back to basics.

morpheus11
Dr. Connors

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »

Will you be doing all of these eventually?  You have done a great job with the previous ones and I am looking forward to all of these.  Keep up the great work.

Herald of the Navarre Dominion
Stacy B.
V

No, really, where am I?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

Will you be doing all of these eventually?  You have done a great job with the previous ones and I am looking forward to all of these.  Keep up the great work.
First, Thanks for the complement.  Means a lot when people let you know they like your work, even if it is something like this!

Yeah, I think eventually I would like to get to them all. I've got sort of "treatment notes" on each of them, plot ideas, casting ideas.  The whole poll was mainly a way to get feedback and see what people would ike to see first.

There is one currently running mini-series that I would like to cast, but I want to wait for it to complete before I look at really doing it.

Stacy B.
V

No, really, where am I?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »

Bump.

Man, Power Girl jumped up pretty fast!

Really makes me wonder what the next two weeks will bring.

Navarre
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »

Re-Bump.

There are only 11 votes so far. I know more people visit here than that.

Why these 5 characters anyway? Any particular reason?

Have you ever or would ever consider doing one for a team? ... Like, say.... New Mutants?

The Legion would be good too if you want to take a month to compile it. lol

Guardians of the Galaxy would be challenging. Gotta find a good golden retriever and a talking raccoon.   Grin
Stacy B.
V

No, really, where am I?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »

Why these 5 characters anyway? Any particular reason?
Overall, they all kinda came in as a little mental stretching that I do: If you had to make a movie/comic with <insert name here> what would you do. At various time, I have had ideas with all these characters. One of them has given me a REAL problem though, and for that fact I hope that they don't get chosen. Of course, if they do, that just gives me more motivation to work past the couple of blocks I had on that character.

Have you ever or would ever consider doing one for a team? ... Like, say.... New Mutants?

The Legion would be good too if you want to take a month to compile it. lol

Guardians of the Galaxy would be challenging. Gotta find a good golden retriever and a talking raccoon.   Grin

Yes. I've thought about a couple of teams, but it won't be anytime soon. Like I said, I am waiting for one mini to end, and that book as multiple characters in it. Not quite a team, but pretty close. The team issue has some problems that I have not overcome yet. Do you start with them already established or spend the time with a team origin? Example: I loved the X-Men movies, but how would it have been if they went to the first class (the traditional first class) instead of the post Giant Sized X-Men team? Teams are tough, but I eventually will do one.

Navarre
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »

Team movies can be tough, yes. All superhero movies seem to start with the origin movie.

That doesn't mean you have to spend time revealing each origin though. You could play it out, as they've done with Wolverine.

Studios have to consider if their movie will sell enough to make more. You don't.

So if you want to start early origin, mid-action, or even post-action you can. One could have chosen to do the X-Men movie with the original 5 and work into the new team.

It would have been a very different movie but could have been interesting. It all depends on what you want the focus of the movie to be.

For example, let's say you were doing something smaller and more straightforward, like a New Mutants movie (nudge-nudge-KICK!). You have a pretty small group and could start it right where the original Issue #1 was.

But you could also bring in Beast as a mentor (with Professor X currently movie-sorta-dead) and switch it up a bit. The premise is that the school moves on, as expressed in X-3, but without Scott or Charles or Jean there is room for some more advanced students to be groomed for the big-time.

Start with Dani, Bobby, Sam, Xi'an, and Rahne. Have Kitty be a student-mentor/tutor for them.

This would open up the characters angles and plot line for them to encounter a character who is part of the conflict but at the end becomes a new member. Someone, like saaaaaay..... Illyana?  Wink
MaximusRift
V

Oscar R. Labrador

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:14:15 PM »

Funny. I also like X1 and X2, but I consider them Wolverine movies more than anything else.  Right now, the X-franchise is practically dead to me unless they decide to re-boot or something comes along that has nothing to do with Jackman. I also feel that a focus on the original 5 could have been real good. But as of right now, I want nothing to do with the current X-men movie continuity.

There is one thing though. As much as one might like those movies; they're not good team movies. How can they be when the focus is on one character. I firmly believe that if you want to do an X-Men movie that actually focuses on what the X-men are; you have to remove Logan entirely.  I even have a good reason. Hugh Jackman. I seriously don't think he'll settle for not being the headliner or letting go of the roll that's given him so much fame.

Visit my friends Web Comic: The World According To Geek at http://twatgeek.com/index.html
Navarre
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »

I miss the first couple of years from Uncanny X-Men #94. Each character got an equal share of the spotlight.

They could still do that with the movies too. It would just seem odd to the average viewer because they have been conditioned to think the X-Men is a Wolverine story with other mutants as supporting characters.

Also, I can't believe Power Girl has twice the votes of the Falcon. Why??
Gibralter
V

Cast in the Name of God, Ye Not Guilty.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:06 PM »

Boobs. /sagenod

The Earth abides forever.
Navarre
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 06:30:40 AM »

Boobs. /sagenod

That is most likely the case.  I'm glad to see these choices are being evaluated on the merits of their character and story.

Perhaps someone is a legitimate fan of Power Girl though. But I don't see the appeal.

It also seems trying to tell her story would be confusing to the non-reader. So if it's just the physique maybe we could post a pic of some buxom blond we think would work and move on.
Stacy B.
V

No, really, where am I?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »

Well, not many votes, but it looks like Iron Fist wins!

Look for the Iron Fist edition of the Comic Casting Couch, The Way of the Iron Fist, soon on Major Spoilers. I think that fans of Heroes for Hire may like it as well.  Wink

Navarre
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:06:55 AM »

I am a bit perplexed that Power Girl could get more votes than Falcon. I think it's just the cleavage and curiosity on who you would cast. I vote for Callista Flockhart.

I do like Iron Fist and will look forward to the article. I hope Luke Cage, Misty Knight, and Colleen Wing are all present.

"... like unto a thing of iron!"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: